Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2017, 12:14 AM
Veteran Member
Received 95 Likes on 86 Posts
Default XE vs Alfa Romeo Giulia Ti

I have to see if this ticks off the XE owners >>>

Old 03-13-2017, 02:21 AM
Received 88 Likes on 76 Posts

I am planning on buying the 505 hp version.

Old 03-13-2017, 02:27 AM

I have been following the giulia very closely. fantastic car and as sexy as a 4 door can be! that said, I think the xe w/ 340hp is a better comparison for the ti in sport option config. the giulia qf is in another universe.

Old 03-13-2017, 02:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,272 Likes on 876 Posts

Yes, should be a good car. But Alfa ownership is not a very "prestige" experience, with dodgy build quality and poor warranty responses which are more chrysler than Jaguar. It will take more than a new factory to fix that, it will take a massive re-education of the dealer network.

I have a 2014 MiTo which I bought for my daughter. The paint is thin and has no clearcoat that I can tell, all rubber trim has discoloured, the plastic over the lights has gone chalky, and there are some plastic bits in the floor that randomly pop out. The DCT is atrocious so you get terrible lag slowing down for corners and apparently this is a common issue for the 1.4 Multiair and is also prevalent in the Fiat Abarth.

But then the car is genuinely fun to drive, especially driven hard, and it looks funky, so I can forgive a lot.

I like the idea of the giulia and the qv looks insanely good, but I think that it will disappoint those wanting a prestige experience.

Old 03-13-2017, 07:13 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,198 Likes on 931 Posts

Americans aren't sure what to expect as it's been 20 years since Alfa closed business in the US. At that point, there were either long standing Alfa dealers that knew what they were doing and the Plymouth-Chrysler / Alfa dealers that weren't so good at selling, promoting and fixing. All of the Alfa dealerships here had poor parts distribution.

Live in a market with good Alfa service and it was like owning any car, but if you're on the other side of coin it was a nightmare.

If Alfa promotes good leases, the Stelvio or Guilia (less spec'd models) could be a replacement for our S60 late this year. We did check out the Volvo XC60 (which gets an awesome dash replacement this August) yesterday. V90 wagon is drawn our attention as well.

Old 03-13-2017, 08:41 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the TI is turbo charged where the XE isn't. Put a turbo on the XE and the power will be more comparable. Can't image there isn't some aftermarket manufacturer looking into this already. I'm worried that alfa is coming out swinging to make itself look good in the first round only to get winded and gas out in round 5.

Time will tell on the reliability of the new Alfas, more competition is always good though.

Old 03-13-2017, 03:23 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Raaz
the TI is turbo charged where the XE isn't. Put a turbo on the XE and the power will be more comparable. Can't image there isn't some aftermarket manufacturer looking into this already. I'm worried that alfa is coming out swinging to make itself look good in the first round only to get winded and gas out in round 5.

Time will tell on the reliability of the new Alfas, more competition is always good though.
My thoughts exactly...I don;t think they are comparing apples to apples in their adverts. Sorta shady skewing of the facts if you ask me. That being said, the little 4C Spider has taken my eyes off of the Lotus that I have been drooling over for years now. I hope the brand can demonstrate good support for their customers. Will be keeping an eye on them for sure.

Old 03-13-2017, 04:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,272 Likes on 876 Posts

The 240hp XE is the 25T - it has the ford ecoboost turbo 2 litre in it, 0 - 100kph in 6.4 seconds. We have one (my wife's car), it is an awesome car and feels a lot quicker than that. I think it can be tuned to about 270hp or so but my wife wont let me.

The igenium 4 pot turbo petrol is due soon, but it wont have much more power - I think 247hp which falls a lot short of the 25% increase in power that was promised, though I havent seen figures on torque.

Alfa are cranking 280hp out of the same capacity engine, which is pretty good, and have stats of 0 - 100kph in 5.1 which is very good, essentially similar to the lower hp supercharged 6 in Jag. You'd want to be supremely confident of the warranty and dealer support to buy the alfa, though.

The following users liked this post:
Fair2 (03-15-2017)
Old 03-13-2017, 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by Cherry_560sel
My thoughts exactly...I don;t think they are comparing apples to apples in their adverts. Sorta shady skewing of the facts if you ask me. That being said, the little 4C Spider has taken my eyes off of the Lotus that I have been drooling over for years now. I hope the brand can demonstrate good support for their customers. Will be keeping an eye on them for sure.
yes...the 4c is a jewel!!!

Old 03-13-2017, 07:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,062 Likes on 676 Posts

I have driven both recently and must say that the Jaguar most definitely seems to be the more refined of the two. The Giulia is certainly a good looking car, but that and a little extra power are all that its got going for it. First thing I noticed was that when started cold, the Giulia idled roughly, seemed to be missing and I was surprised it didn't throw a code. Smoothed out after a few seconds but then I read the same thing later in an online review. I guess all of them are like that. And that power is not very smooth either. And the seat squab is very short with too little support for the thighs. I figured it would be very uncomfortable on a long trip. I decided I probably need the longer wheelbase of an XF or similar but both cars are pretty cool in their own ways.

Old 03-13-2017, 10:59 PM
Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

I personally believe that the sport sedans and highly strung 4 cylinder engines do not mix well.

If you want dynamic driving small sedan, it has to have an engine to match. Nowadays it is easy to forget that engine is not just hp and torque numbers. Those only tell half the story.

To truly enjoy spirited driving, for me the engine has to have a character, be smooth yet exciting and encourage you to use it harder. I love the way V6 SC pulls all the way to the redline and sounds better as RPMs climb.

As for Alfa, they need a good mid-level V6 engine. They have a long tradition of making one of the best V6s engines such as Busso 3.2. They are not unfamiliar with superchargers either. So I would expect them to come up with something.

That I4 280hp turbo sure puts down the numbers but you just cannot have the same smoothness and lag free performance from 4 cylinder that makes 140hp per liter as from a powerful V6 or I6.

NewLester de Rocin (03-14-2017)
Old 03-14-2017, 07:18 PM
Received 105 Likes on 76 Posts

Can't tick me off with the Alfa, Cherry. But I do agree with Demetre's lines.

A car maker has pulled off a master achievement when they've gotten the right proportions of thrust power, noise, steering wheel personality, "traction to driver expectation ratio" (LOL), and seat position (weird but true, isn't it?). If this wasn't so, then the best car would be that rocket-car they use on the salt flat to break a new record every few years. This year Jaguar did the master achievement with their XE.

The STANDARD Giulia is a comely exterior shape all around, and I like it---the 540 HP model looks like it's got distasteful growths protuding from it, and I shake my head in pity.

But, I have to say it's been a great year and a half for exterior car designs. I can't remember a year in my adult life when so many makers across wide price-points were able to create something you'd see on the street and say "seriously, that's a cool shape--some nice lines!"

And for once, they're all unique. Not similar to each other, like typical years. Distinctly different attitudes. OOrah!

Last edited by NewLester de Rocin; 03-14-2017 at 07:20 PM.
Old 03-15-2017, 10:57 AM
pab
Veteran Member
Received 240 Likes on 207 Posts

>I personally believe that the sport sedans and highly strung 4 cylinder engines do not mix well.

Repeat after me: "There is no substitute for cubic inches..."

================================================== ===========
Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car
Oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car
Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall, and
Torque is how far you take the wall with you

ololly (03-15-2017)
Old 03-15-2017, 11:03 AM
Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by pab
Repeat after me: "There is no substitute for cubic inches..."
Actually it's "there is no replacement for displacement"

chrisburns61 (07-04-2022)
Old 03-15-2017, 12:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,198 Likes on 931 Posts

I am happy with power our 4 banger in S60 makes. Not winning any races, but for the kind of car it is; it's fine. I think 240 hp? Just have to drive it faster to make it faster. Not going to do the work for you...

Old 03-20-2017, 04:41 PM
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Why should this tick me off?
My XES has 340 hp, so bye bye little Giulia - I'll see you in my rearview mirror

-------------------
XES 3.0 V6, 340PS, 19" Alloy Wheel, Black pack, Lighting Pack, Active Safety Pack, Cold Climate Pack, Parking Pack, Memory Pack, HUD Pack, Sliding roof, Pro Navigation Pack Meridian 380W, Configurable mood lighting, illuminated treatplate

The following 2 users liked this post by Big Owl:
Cherry_560sel (03-20-2017), chrisburns61 (07-04-2022)
Old 03-21-2017, 03:52 PM
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Somewhat misleading comparison by Alfa.

Old 05-27-2017, 08:34 PM
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BruceTheQuail
Yes, should be a good car. But Alfa ownership is not a very "prestige" experience, with dodgy build quality and poor warranty responses which are more chrysler than Jaguar. It will take more than a new factory to fix that, it will take a massive re-education of the dealer network.

I have a 2014 MiTo which I bought for my daughter. The paint is thin and has no clearcoat that I can tell, all rubber trim has discoloured, the plastic over the lights has gone chalky, and there are some plastic bits in the floor that randomly pop out. The DCT is atrocious so you get terrible lag slowing down for corners and apparently this is a common issue for the 1.4 Multiair and is also prevalent in the Fiat Abarth.

But then the car is genuinely fun to drive, especially driven hard, and it looks funky, so I can forgive a lot.

I like the idea of the giulia and the qv looks insanely good, but I think that it will disappoint those wanting a prestige experience.
Hello Guy/Girls,
I also test drove the sports and the Lux(Alfa) and they both gave a stiff sporty ride . The ride is very good if you like speed and feeling the contour bumps on the highway. My wife was complaining about her back on both rides. Both cars handle's stiff and perform very well. The 2017 Jag is the best choice for comfort and Simi-aggressive ridding .However, if want speed and excitement the Alfa will do the trick. I just think the Jag Xe is a better choice and built better for long-term keeping. The Alpha will cause you to dig deeper in your pockets because you have to perform maintenance more per year. Thanks for reading

The following 3 users liked this post by bigg4oot:
Big Owl (05-28-2017), BruceTheQuail (05-28-2017), C-Los (05-29-2017)
Old 10-28-2017, 06:52 PM

guys, thought I would jump in here. just bought a giulia quarifoglio. it is a guided missile!!!!

J E (12-02-2022)
Old 10-29-2017, 04:11 AM
Veteran Member

you gotta love what twin-turbos do to a 3 liter engine!!!...lol....or 2.9 in your case!