XE ( X760 ) 2015 -

XE will not start

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2017, 08:32 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default XE will not start

After leaving my new XE R-Sport 6 cylinder alone for a week while on vacation, I returned home to a car that would not start. Mind you the car only has 2900 miles on it. The car has now been at the dealership for a week, and they have no idea what the problem is... Not sure if this has happened to anyone else, but wanted to put it out there in case...

Old 07-16-2017, 11:30 PM
Received 333 Likes on 201 Posts

So what happens if they can't ever get it started? Do they buy it back?

Old 07-17-2017, 08:45 AM
Received 105 Likes on 76 Posts

Warning to owner:

Jaguar is great (both the car and the maker are really worth a salute). But DEALERSHIPS we take the injured car to for service, are very often rubbish. They’re too sloppy with their attention to the car, or the XE is too young a car for many of them to really understand and diagnose properly.

So a good “self”-diagnosis (before you leave it all up to the repair shop) is really helpful. When you say it won’t start, did you at least get an INSTRUMENT start when you hit the start button (dials roll, dashboard lamps come on, etc)?

Did you at least hear the car power up when you opened the driver door? (The XE switches on several mystery modules around the car when it senses the driver door open--if you listen really carefully, they make a sound like three tiny fans coming on).

Did the daytime running lights or even the overhead cabin courtesy light come on?

Do you remember seeing the starter button “pulsating red” like it normally does when you sit down and are about to start the car? Or was it just dead?

If stuff like this DID come on, but the ignition simply didn’t start, then it could be an electric starter problem.

If none of this stuff was on, your AGM battery in the trunk of the car may have drained out during the extended parking. THIS is a problem some owners reported in the UK forum, I think it was on earlier 2016 models, and I think it was corrected as long as you brought your car into the shop any time last year. Jaguar calls it a “ Coded Service Action”.

You did the right thing by posting this on one of the forums. The amount of info those earlier owners have listed around these forums is enormous and has been very helpful for me. If you can diagnose the symptoms, and give them to the repair shop, it really helps them out…(because like I explained, those Jaguar service centers just aren’t very knowledgeable about the XE, and will often clutter around, scratch their heads, give the car a wax and hand it back to you “here you go, sir—we found no problem”.

The following users liked this post:
Fair2 (07-18-2017)
Old 07-17-2017, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by michaelodonnell123
So what happens if they can't ever get it started? Do they buy it back?

They better...

Old 07-17-2017, 12:46 PM

Gauges sweep, and AC and radio come on, then go off within a few seconds. no "sounds before start". No starter movement. Battery is fine. Also, phone app can not locate the car. The dealer has all this info, and is working directly with jaguar USA to figure out the issue.

Originally Posted by NewLester de Rocin
Warning to owner:

Jaguar is great (both the car and the maker are really worth a salute). But DEALERSHIPS we take the injured car to for service, are very often rubbish. They’re too sloppy with their attention to the car, or the XE is too young a car for many of them to really understand and diagnose properly.

So a good “self”-diagnosis (before you leave it all up to the repair shop) is really helpful. When you say it won’t start, did you at least get an INSTRUMENT start when you hit the start button (dials roll, dashboard lamps come on, etc)?

Did you at least hear the car power up when you opened the driver door? (The XE switches on several mystery modules around the car when it senses the driver door open--if you listen really carefully, they make a sound like three tiny fans coming on).

Did the daytime running lights or even the overhead cabin courtesy light come on?

Do you remember seeing the starter button “pulsating red” like it normally does when you sit down and are about to start the car? Or was it just dead?

If stuff like this DID come on, but the ignition simply didn’t start, then it could be an electric starter problem.

If none of this stuff was on, your AGM battery in the trunk of the car may have drained out during the extended parking. THIS is a problem some owners reported in the UK forum, I think it was on earlier 2016 models, and I think it was corrected as long as you brought your car into the shop any time last year. Jaguar calls it a “ Coded Service Action”.

You did the right thing by posting this on one of the forums. The amount of info those earlier owners have listed around these forums is enormous and has been very helpful for me. If you can diagnose the symptoms, and give them to the repair shop, it really helps them out…(because like I explained, those Jaguar service centers just aren’t very knowledgeable about the XE, and will often clutter around, scratch their heads, give the car a wax and hand it back to you “here you go, sir—we found no problem”.

Old 07-18-2017, 10:02 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

Jaguars suck down battery if the car is sitting idle. One week is fine, but maybe not? Do you lock your car? You should as it uses less battery. I wouldn't think of plugging the CTEK in for anything under 2 weeks normally...

Old 07-18-2017, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by rgun2515
After leaving my new XE R-Sport 6 cylinder alone for a week while on vacation, I returned home to a car that would not start. Mind you the car only has 2900 miles on it. The car has now been at the dealership for a week, and they have no idea what the problem is... Not sure if this has happened to anyone else, but wanted to put it out there in case...

This just popped up on the UK forums, if it will help.
https://www.xeforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=4772

Old 07-18-2017, 05:04 PM

I got it back today. Failed TCU unit. Renew TCU and Program. Module-telematic. Whatever that means...

Old 07-18-2017, 07:14 PM
Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Just out of curiosity, which dealer took over a week to diagnose and fix the car?

Old 07-19-2017, 12:25 PM

...I KNEEEW that it was a TCU failure! It was OBVIOUS to me!

LOL, actually, I never would have guessed anything like that would stop the car from starting.
The Telematic Unit is the device in the car that processes and stores all sorts of data about what your car is doing, and where on the map your car is travelling right now: GPS locations, Navigation information and alerts, whereabouts of your car if it gets stolen, milieage and efficiency on yesterday’s 20-minute drive to my sister’s house, etc.

It’s said to be one of the main reasons why your Jaguar has one of those BIG fin antennas on its body, instead of one of the puny ones like a Hyundai has (he-he-he).

Old 07-19-2017, 02:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 357 Likes on 174 Posts

I thought the TCU was inside the Trans and not accessable or was that the older models?