XE ( X760 ) 2015 -

XE Wishlist

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2014, 09:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 482 Likes on 403 Posts
Default XE Wishlist

What do you guys want to see with the new XE?

I will get us started:

1. Advanced aluminum architecture (like the XK, XJ and F-Type)
2. Curb weight under 3500 lbs
3. Manual transmission offering for base model
4. Rear wheel drive platform (with AWD variants)
5. Base price of ~$35k.
6. Limited slip differential option (or E-diff)

Old 03-06-2014, 12:26 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

Alan, the list you have is pretty close to what I would want. Having a manual option in all trim levels would be nice. Granted, I also know that I am part of the 2% and to make that an option is costly for the manufacturer. The other thing that I would be interested in is having the radio and the other controls of the car in separate modules. They can be touch screens, but make the radio in 1 screen and other things in a second screen. Could even be a bit fancy and put the heat controls down on the center console where you hand rests so they would be easy to access. But, again, I am part of the minority that likes to upgrade parts of the car to put something bigger and better in that the factory just can't justify for the general market. Granted, if they are going to make it an all-in-one configuration, atleast make the radio so it can be upgraded (remove the 10GB of storage and be able to put in say 64GB for those with a large music library). Whether this is done with USB sticks or going a bit more high tech and installing say an SSD into the radio, either way works. Just give me an option.

Old 03-06-2014, 04:41 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,270 Likes on 875 Posts

Well I'm wanting this one for my missus so it has to satisfy her as well, so I think :
1. good turning circle (i.e. less than 10.5m);
2. decent rear legroom - better than the XF (baby capsules to teenagers should fit);
3. 0 - 60mph/100kph time less than 7 seconds for any version;
4. great interior with bigger touchscreen, not a popup one or that bizarre Benz iPad disaster;
5, paddles, of course;
6. nice exterior but practical loading ie decent boot opening

Old 03-06-2014, 04:53 AM
Received 4,436 Likes on 2,421 Posts

Originally Posted by BruceTheQuail
2. decent rear legroom - better than the XF (baby capsules to teenagers should fit)
Don't hold your breath for that one!

Old 03-06-2014, 06:35 AM
Veteran Member
Received 442 Likes on 323 Posts

Not seeing the option of transmission. They will go as in all other current models with one transmission only, for cost reasons alone.
How would the smaller car have more leg room than an XF? IMHO it already has more leg room than an E class or A5/4. Have not been in a 5 in a long time.
A diesel for the US would be nice.
A line topping V6S and AWD option of course.
Defintely have the climate controls, heated seats and steering wheel separate from the center display. You have to look and take your eyes of the road to enter something on a touch screen, no feeling the button.
Defintely has to be light wheight, all aluminum would be nice but probably cost prohibitive.

Old 03-06-2014, 06:36 AM
Veteran Member

I also don't want to see any of those stupid party tricks like moving air vents that add nothing but extra weight and unnecessary complexity.

Personally, I don't think the XF needs to be loaded to the gills. If they want a 3-Series fighter, it's going to have to be a very dynamic drive!

Old 03-06-2014, 06:46 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Schwabe
Not seeing the option of transmission. They will go as in all other current models with one transmission only, for cost reasons alone.
How would the smaller car have more leg room than an XF? IMHO it already has more leg room than an E class or A5/4. Have not been in a 5 in a long time.
A diesel for the US would be nice.
A line topping V6S and AWD option of course.
Defintely have the climate controls, heated seats and steering wheel separate from the center display. You have to look and take your eyes of the road to enter something on a touch screen, no feeling the button.
Defintely has to be light wheight, all aluminum would be nice but probably cost prohibitive.
I think they have already announced that it will be based on the CX17's aluminum architecture.

I think navigation should be optional (as it is on the 3 Series, isn't it?), which would allow for more traditional button and knob operation.

As for the transmission, it's a long shot, but I think it's necessary. Audi and BMW do it, and Jaguar has done it with the X-Type and the S-Type. Why not do it again? It's not like the base XE is going to be some high-powered exotic F1 racer!

Old 03-06-2014, 08:50 AM
Veteran Member
Received 442 Likes on 323 Posts

has nothing to do with being exotic. Same transmission, same shifters, same steering column, same wiring, same ecu etc, same programing, same transmission parts. It is a whole lot cheaper than offering a variation. I am sure that the US is still the largest car market and the market share percentage of shifters is minimal. I am 47 and bought my first automatic in 2012. Every single car I had was a stick, as did my wife. My kids will get sticks as starters. Just to make the point. I think the auto trans will be a cost factor. Especially since Jaguar puts the very same one in every single model.

Old 03-06-2014, 09:42 AM
Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

I'm planning on making the jump to automatic transmission with the XE for two reasons: driving in traffic here with a stick is awful and my wife never learned to drive a manual. So, any long trips we take we use her car so we can split the driving duties. It'll be a sad day, but my left leg will thank me and my wife will finally get the feel the thrill of driving these cars.

As far as my wish list, I'm afraid the technical stuff doesn't really concern me too much. I'm sure it'll be fast enough for me, and get decent gas mileage (fingers crossed). But, I'd like to have a lot of the creature comforts available:
1) Sun/moon roof
2) Cold climate package, heated seats (front and rear), heated steering wheel, dual zone climate control
3) Cooled seats maybe? Haven't had too much experience with those seats...do they work well?
3) Shiny knobs made of quality material (technical term!)
4) Fold down rear seat
5) Solid iphone/ipod connectivity and GPS
6) It would be nice if the base was around $30K and option it up to the mid $30s.
7) But hey, I really just wish it was here already

Old 03-06-2014, 12:20 PM
Received 55 Likes on 45 Posts

Lightest in its class, and not by something like 20lbs.
The 380hp version of the S/C V6.
Optional LSD--I'm guessing it won't be standard if you have to step up to the F-Type S to get this.
I hope they keep it with analog gauges, I'm not really a fan of the TFT in the XJ.
I'm assuming navigation will be optional as it is on the XF too.
I know it's going to have stop-start so I want to see something that allows you it have it turned off at all times.

To the person who said how could it have more room than the XF...that all depends on the wheelbase and how they package it.

Old 03-06-2014, 01:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 266 Likes on 210 Posts

I don't think they'll offer a manual. Modern automatics (not true automatics, but the robot-clutch-stuff) are more economical than a manual gearbox coupled with the average driver, and the emissions race rages on.

I don't think they'll allow you to disable stop & go for the same reason, though it'd sounds quite daft to have stop & go enabled in sport mode...

Old 03-06-2014, 01:21 PM

The first thing I do when I start my car is turn stop-start off, I see no reason to not be able to have it off at all times.

Old 03-06-2014, 02:22 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 528 Likes on 275 Posts

Very much looking forward to its launch, and a test drive! The alloy body is rather exciting.

Last edited by SNG Barratt USA; 03-06-2014 at 02:39 PM.
Old 03-06-2014, 04:43 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Schwabe
has nothing to do with being exotic. Same transmission, same shifters, same steering column, same wiring, same ecu etc, same programing, same transmission parts. It is a whole lot cheaper than offering a variation. I am sure that the US is still the largest car market and the market share percentage of shifters is minimal. I am 47 and bought my first automatic in 2012. Every single car I had was a stick, as did my wife. My kids will get sticks as starters. Just to make the point. I think the auto trans will be a cost factor. Especially since Jaguar puts the very same one in every single model.
I didn't mean to imply that paddle shifting transmissions only come on exotic cars--only that this is not a track bruiser, it is a compact sports sedan, and a manual transmission option would be very appropriate. Some people on this forum have said that having a manual transmission on a 500 horsepower car is counterproductive, and they probably have a point. But this is not the case with the XE, at least not for the base variants.

Old 03-06-2014, 05:50 PM

Maybe we will see a manual, Hallmark did make it sound as if they would be making a comeback, though I think it's hard to make a case for them when they make up so little sales for every other automaker and Jaguar doesn't sell in the same volumes as others, but we'll see. We probably have about as good of a chance as receiving the new diesel.

Old 03-11-2014, 06:08 AM
Veteran Member
Received 346 Likes on 239 Posts

I want a car that has grace, pace, and space - is profitable to Jaguar and yet does not wack the bank account like the XK did..... I don't give a damn about the 3 series!!!

The following users liked this post:
Mkii250 (03-21-2014)
Old 03-11-2014, 06:10 AM
Veteran Member
Received 346 Likes on 239 Posts

Msrp of 35k I will buy this car new as well.... Yeeehaw!!!

Old 03-11-2014, 07:47 AM
Received 111 Likes on 84 Posts

Please, please, please - a Sport Wagon version. Save me from buying that BMW F31.

Old 03-11-2014, 09:01 AM
Veteran Member
Received 331 Likes on 235 Posts

All I would want them to do is just improve the deficiencies of the current models and package it into the XE.

1. Great looking exterior. Judging by the photos, it should be.

2. Luxurious interior. Similar layout of the current product line and signature JaguarDrive selector. Rotating vents would be even better.

3. Variants of all the different engines, including R/RS models.

4. Rear wheel drive and AWD variants.

5. Competitive pricing - starting price of $32,000.

6. Most importantly - Driving Dynamics of the current models.

Old 03-13-2014, 08:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 331 Likes on 235 Posts

Jaguar XE prepares to take on BMW 3-series | Autocar

According to Autocar, "Sitting underneath the XF in Jaguar's model line-up, prices for the XE are likely to start around £29,000 when it goes on sale towards the middle of next year."

That's about $48,000. Hope they are wrong.

Quick Reply: XE Wishlist