XF (X260) 2015 onwards

2011 XJL Supersport vs 2012 XFR

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2018, 11:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2011 XJL Supersport vs 2012 XFR

Howdy gents,

I'm newly registered to this forums but have been lurking here for months now. I've always loved Jaguars and been renting them whenever I get a chance. I love the presence the cars display on the road. I decided that it's time for me to finally own one and I'm looking for something to daily drive a lot and I'm looking at a 2011 XJL Supersport with 60k miles vs 2012 XFR with 35k miles.

Both are on the same price point and aside from which one is more reliable, does the XFR's performance offset the luxury and amenities' XJL Supersport offers and which one is better for long cruising? I've put 60k miles over 3 years of ownership on my 2009 BMW 335i which I felt lucky that I didn't have the issues most had on the bmw forums and survived with scheduled maintenance. I haven't drove the XJL Supersport yet but the XFR was a blast after test driving it.

Looking forward to hearing your guys stories and experience!

Old 01-22-2018, 08:17 AM
pab
Veteran Member
Received 240 Likes on 207 Posts

Sorry, but you need to move that post to the X250 forum. This one is for the 2015+ XFs and they are a completely new design.
================================================
Jaguar - it's not an automobile, it's a Motorcar
Current: '15 XF (X250) Portfolio AWD 3.0
Past B: '08 S-Type 4.2 "Satin Edition" (250.06 whp / 259.67 torque)
Past A: '05 X-Type 3.0/auto Jaguar Racing Green

The following users liked this post:
yaayaareaa (01-26-2018)
Old 01-22-2018, 10:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 437 Likes on 386 Posts

It's a great question. The engine is basically the same - both are the 5.0 V8. Performance is surprisingly similar in driving as the lighter body shell engineering on the XJL helps it to feel pretty sporty

If you're moving up from a 3 series the XFR is large and the XJL is enormous. I think the XF feels more sporty due to its size and presence on the road. And the XFR is definitely engineered to look and feel the sporty part

You should drive both and make your own judgement. If you don't need the extra space of the XJL then I'd go with the XFR. A year newer, a lot less miles. The facelift version with the newer entertainment etc. and a great sporty feel

Oh - and one small point that might make a big difference. The rear seats in the XJL don't fold. So you can't eg put long skis in the car. Whereas they do in the XF. Sounds like a minor point but I have the XF SC and have folded my rear seats many times

Good luck!

yaayaareaa (01-26-2018)
Old 01-23-2018, 01:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,140 Likes on 1,461 Posts

I agree, XJL is a full-sized boat. Make sure you are OK with driving a very large sedan.

yaayaareaa (01-26-2018)
Old 01-23-2018, 04:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 205 Likes on 188 Posts

having had all 3 cars, 3 series, XJ and XFR.......they're all night and day differences.

the XF doesnt feel that much bigger than the 3 series. however it is a lot heavier, and you can definitely feel it. its kind of annoying. the XJ is a lot larger, but it doesnt feel that bad. you really start to notice when you have to park it

my vote is for the XJ

yaayaareaa (01-26-2018)
Old 01-24-2018, 08:02 AM
pab
Veteran Member
Received 240 Likes on 207 Posts

Like I suggested before, you should really consider moving this discussion to the X250 list. That's where you'll find the people who have experience with the XF version you're interested in.

The version of XF discussed on this forum has no relationship to the one that you're interested in beyond a V6 engine.
=================================
My karma just ran over your dogma
Current Hers: '13 Lexus ES350
Current Mine: '15 Jaguar XF

Old 01-26-2018, 12:03 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks. I requested already

Originally Posted by pab
Like I suggested before, you should really consider moving this discussion to the X250 list. That's where you'll find the people who have experience with the XF version you're interested in.

The version of XF discussed on this forum has no relationship to the one that you're interested in beyond a V6 engine.
=================================
My karma just ran over your dogma
Current Hers: '13 Lexus ES350
Current Mine: '15 Jaguar XF

Trending Topics

Old 02-05-2018, 06:18 PM
Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

I looked at both cars and was originally leaning towards the XJL.

If you're going to be driving others around quite a bit (4 people), the XJL is the way to go. The back seats are luxurious and spacious! The car has a ton of power and rides like a dream. Great cruiser and is nimble enough on the smaller roads.

However, it is a pretty large and parking will be more difficult to find in the city streets and lots, especially if you don't want to get your car dinged up.

I went with the XF Portfolio as I couldn't find a XFR. I think you'll have a much more rougher/stiffer ride in the XFR. The back seats are a bit cramped if you have taller people in the front seat. If you're over 6 feet, the headroom in the back seats are pretty tight. So my son always goes for the front passenger seats and my daughters have to sit in the back. The XF's are going to be a bit more nimble.

Audio quality in the XJL SuperSport, I think are better as they have more speakers, though the XFR has the top of the line B&W sound system. It is pretty amazing when you step down a couple of notches, as even the XF Portfolio didn't include a Subwoofer. However, I added one and replaced the bass speakers in the car, which made gave it a lot more fuller bass.

I do like the vents which open and close automatically in the XF's the round vents in the XJL's seemed to make it look dated.

What made me make my decision was that I do most of my driving in the city and parking is so limited and I typically only have one other person in the car most of the time as my kids are all in college or now live on their own, so I don't need something that large.
Head turning quotient is about the same, though the XFR will probably get more stares and because of the louder exhaust notes and sportier look. If I were a normal passenger, I'd probably say the XJL would get you the oohs and ah's after riding in it. The XFR... you'll get people who like to drive fast who will appreciate it.

Either Jags, you'll have people envious. I still get people stating, who's Jaguar is that?
Good luck on your purchase.. whichever one you get, you'll love the V8.
As Carzaddict said the XF isn't a light car, amazingly it is very close to the weight of the XJL, thus, similar acceleration times between models. Too bad that Jaguar, when they went to the all aluminium chassis in 2015 on the XF, they didn't sell too many models with the V8.