XF (X260) 2015 onwards

2017 XF-S sunroof drain plug location

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2017, 04:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2017 XF-S sunroof drain plug location

Hello All,
Brand new to the forum and have a small issue, I have a 2017 XF-S and my sunroof drain plugs are clogged(again), trying to get into the dealership is like pulling teeth. I would like to know if anyone on this site know where to drain holes are located.

Old 12-05-2017, 10:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 336 Likes on 244 Posts

Again? What's clogging them? I looked at mine and unlike most I've dealt with these are not obvious. I'm sure they're at the corners of the low point of the track which is the front of the car. Who cleared them last time? Did they charge you? Sorry if I've asked more questions than you did but I haven't seen anything on sun roofs yet in the forums. There's several openings along the tracks that are small towards the front that you might try sticking a plastic stick in to loosen whatever it is and then use a shop vac power nozzle over them to see if anything comes out.

Old 12-06-2017, 04:25 AM

The first time the dealership unclogged them, that’s how I know it’s the drain plugs, the service was covered under warranty. As to what’s clogging them, I suspect it’s a combination of things, dirt for one and most likely remains from all the leaves falling. I do ride with the sunroof open often as well. I have an appointment at the dealership Saturday and will them show me the location of the drain plugs and how to keep them clean, which I will share with the group.

Old 12-06-2017, 10:42 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Mark822
The first time the dealership unclogged them, that’s how I know it’s the drain plugs, the service was covered under warranty. As to what’s clogging them, I suspect it’s a combination of things, dirt for one and most likely remains from all the leaves falling. I do ride with the sunroof open often as well. I have an appointment at the dealership Saturday and will them show me the location of the drain plugs and how to keep them clean, which I will share with the group.
Great, let us know. Make sure they show you where it drains to (picture!). From what I could see it looks like the clearing of the drain holes is no easy process to do it right. I'm guessing they didn't completely clean everything out the first time. Ideally you would go to where it drains (under the car, into the engine bay, or?) and use an air hose to force everything out of the tubes then clean up the topside of debris. On the XF the area under the rails is mostly covered so it makes cleaning the top hard.

Old 12-17-2017, 02:29 PM
Default Drain plugs

I tested my drains and water ran to the ground underneath. Every heavy rain I still get water on the driver side floor boards. Can't figure out where the water is coming from.....any other drains to check? The dealer has been no help.

Old 12-17-2017, 02:32 PM

So after waiting on the dealership, I took it upon myself to trouble shoot the drainage issue, come to find out that it's not the sunroof not draining, it's my right rear passenger door. So the first time I had it unplugged it was not the sunroof. There is a makeshift drain plug, see picture, for some reason it was clogged, used my keys to unclogged the hole and no Drain plug unclogged
Drain plug clogged
more water.

Old 12-17-2017, 06:57 PM
Veteran Member

Are you sure that's the only drain point? On my (and other) XFs the drain is at the lowest point of the door, underneath it, towards the rear of the door. It's covered by that rubber door seal which has a hole in it that's supposed to line up with the drain hole in the door (but doesn't, and blocks it). Is that silver piece a door trim piece I see or what is it?

Old 12-17-2017, 07:12 PM

mleskovar
Yes, on my car, these are the only drain holes and located in the same location on all four doors, I removed the black strip at the bottom of the door and no other holes. As for you issue, that sounds more like the sunroof plugs are blocked and unfortunately, I have not found or looked for those locations.

Old 12-18-2017, 11:16 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Mark822
... As for you issue, that sounds more like the sunroof plugs are blocked and unfortunately....
I don't have any leaks and trying to keep it that way. Look at these pics of the back passenger door seals. That pencil sticking out is where the hole in the door is that is supposed to match the hole in the seal. The other pic is at the front of the door seal end where your pic shows yours' to be. They are both '17 models so something is weird here.

Attached Thumbnails 2017 XF-S sunroof drain plug location-front-end-seal.jpg   2017 XF-S sunroof drain plug location-drain-hole.jpg