XF (X260) 2015 onwards

2018 Jaguar Interior?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2017, 11:36 AM
amf
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2018 Jaguar Interior?

Many sources have had negative comments about the interior design of the XF. Will Jaguar be upgrading the interior design on the 2018 XF?. Planning to buy new car this July or August, consequently ........curious. Thanks!

Old 04-26-2017, 11:53 AM
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I haven't seen anything anywhere about it. I'm on the Jaguar Advisory board website and they have been taking a lot of member polls but no hint at a change in design direction.

Old 04-26-2017, 10:14 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just ordered mine yesterday, 2018 S model with all the options. There aren't any upgrades to the interior for the most part. There's a new Portfolio limited edition model available which is fairly well loaded and has all the usual seat adjustments plus powered headrests (up and down), and the headrests have manually adjustable "wings" like what some airline seats have, that curve in from the side. These are manually adjustable. Other models have the same seats as in 2016 and I believe 2017, 14 x 14 electrical adjustment plus 4 way electrical lumbar adjust. On the S models, the seat controls have chrome trim. The veneer, seat, and headliner choices are unchanged, and there's no changes in the rear seats. The '18 model is available to build on line if you want to take a look. I agree, the interior isn't as luxurious as I'd prefer either, but I've waited for two years for it to be improved, to no avail. Decided I didn't want to wait another year so finally just ordered it. It's still good looking, but I don't like the plastic on the sides of the console, or the window and memory controls being where they are. Those need to be swapped to make the window controls where the memory settings are now. In the US market we have fewer option choices as well. Can't get Oyster headliner like you can in the UK or some other countries.

Old 04-27-2017, 11:53 AM
Received 111 Likes on 84 Posts

It looks like the 2018 Portfolio edition has unique leather styles and colors.

Old 05-02-2017, 06:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 337 Likes on 244 Posts

Originally Posted by Van Greenwood (Sandman799)
... the window and memory controls being where they are. Those need to be swapped to make the window controls where the memory settings are now....
+1 I wonder what the thought process was behind the placement because it doesn't make sense.

Old 05-04-2017, 07:40 AM
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mleskovar
+1 I wonder what the thought process was behind the placement because it doesn't make sense.
+2 - I've said and thought that same thing many times. I'm 10 months in and still not used to the placement of the window controls. It's a reach for me and I have long arms.

Old 05-04-2017, 08:04 AM
pab
Veteran Member
Received 240 Likes on 207 Posts

>still not used to the placement of the window controls

Can someone remind us non-XF owners were the buttons are placed?
All the window, lock, and side mirror controls on my S-Type are collected together at the leading edge of the arm rest on the door. Where are they on an XF?
==================================================
Jaguar: Grace, Pace, and Space - Sir William Lyons
2015 JCNA National Slalom Champion Class M
Current: '08 Jaguar S-Type 4.2 "Satin Edition" (250.06 whp / 259.67 torque)
Past: '05 X-Type 3.0/auto Jaguar Racing Green

Old 05-04-2017, 08:39 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

...Can someone remind us non-XF owners were the buttons are placed?

As far forward as is possible, it's absurd this silly layout survived to production. I'm glad we have EZPass.

Old 05-04-2017, 10:41 AM
Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts

Yeah, the window switches are extremely annoying in the XF. I'm also still not use to them being that far.

But in the F-Pace and XE, they're even worse. On top of the door card.

Old 05-04-2017, 12:58 PM
pab
Veteran Member

>On top of the door card.

Ya, that's pretty putrid!

But what's wrong with placement for the XF? If your arm is on the arm rest won't you just reach as far forward, along the arm rest, to find the window switches?

I think muscle memory would learn that one pretty quick.

But on top of the door? That's just plain awful.
================================================
Jaguar - it's not an automobile, it's a Motorcar
2015 JCNA National Slalom Champion Class M
Current: '08 S-Type 4.2 "Satin Edition" (250.06 whp / 259.67 torque)
Past: '05 X-Type 3.0/auto Jaguar Racing Green

Old 05-04-2017, 01:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 337 Likes on 244 Posts

Originally Posted by pab
...But what's wrong with placement for the XF?....
#1 it's a reach. #2 why would you need the seat memory to be more easily accessible than the window switch? How often do you change seat memory in comparison to lowering/raising windows?

Old 05-05-2017, 08:36 AM
pab
Veteran Member

>#2 why would you need the seat memory to be more easily accessible than the window switch?

Ah, I see said the blind man. That is strange.
================================================== =
You dreamed of a big star -
He played a mean guitar -
He loved to drive his Jaguar...

So welcome to the machine

Old 06-09-2017, 09:58 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by amf
Many sources have had negative comments about the interior design of the XF. Will Jaguar be upgrading the interior design on the 2018 XF?. Planning to buy new car this July or August, consequently ........curious. Thanks!

I am bemused by the comment "many sources have had negative comments". Many people remember the Jaguars of bygone days which had soft perhaps Connelly leather and were covered in wood grain surfaces. That isn't very common anywhere and indeed even BMWs and MBs of which I have had several, have shiny unappealing wood(of sort). The interior quality of XF materials is generally as good as any luxury car. The dash is leather, the seats are real, durable leather, mine are perforated for hot/cold temp control, the construction is excellent and interior fitment is quite good. I don't really see any DESIGN issues. I am 6ft 1in and have lots of room. The back seat is roomier than my previous 5 series BMW with lots of leg room. Jaguars are DRIVER's cars and not designed for cushy extravagance. The only car which came close to my XF was the Audi 6 but the design is dated whereas the XF is graceful, sleek, muscular and balanced. But that is just my opinion and that of most who buy them. Happy shopping.
Al

Old 06-09-2017, 10:06 PM

Originally Posted by Van Greenwood (Sandman799)
I just ordered mine yesterday, 2018 S model with all the options. There aren't any upgrades to the interior for the most part. There's a new Portfolio limited edition model available which is fairly well loaded and has all the usual seat adjustments plus powered headrests (up and down), and the headrests have manually adjustable "wings" like what some airline seats have, that curve in from the side. These are manually adjustable. Other models have the same seats as in 2016 and I believe 2017, 14 x 14 electrical adjustment plus 4 way electrical lumbar adjust. On the S models, the seat controls have chrome trim. The veneer, seat, and headliner choices are unchanged, and there's no changes in the rear seats. The '18 model is available to build on line if you want to take a look. I agree, the interior isn't as luxurious as I'd prefer either, but I've waited for two years for it to be improved, to no avail. Decided I didn't want to wait another year so finally just ordered it. It's still good looking, but I don't like the plastic on the sides of the console, or the window and memory controls being where they are. Those need to be swapped to make the window controls where the memory settings are now. In the US market we have fewer option choices as well. Can't get Oyster headliner like you can in the UK or some other countries.
Good points I agree with. I have the burled walnut on the door and the surround the dash under the window edge. I don't like the aluminum bumpy material on the glovebox. Wood isn't the wood we used to get.
I have Oyster leather and headliner looks same colour(Canada) but don't know if it is "oyster".

Old 06-09-2017, 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by mleskovar
I agree. But I am tall, have long arms and legs and don't have a problem reaching the controls which, yes, should be in reversed positions. So for me it isn't even much of an inconvenience.

Old 06-12-2017, 10:44 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My wife was not to exicted that she was getting a third new Jagaur in a row. I went with Jaguar again because no matter where we go it is the least common "luxury sport sedan". I feel the vaule of the is on par with any other car in it class, the dealership​ that I do my service at has been great and Jaguar has handled all the repairs I ever needed. With that Said​ I came out of a 2014 XFS that I ordered new with $22k in options into a 2016 XF R Sport with a msrp of $76k. The 2014 we loved and the 2016 we like,the interior quality in the 2016 is no where near the 2014 and the 2016 lacks the sexyness the 2014 had. The window switches,the slow touch screen and the volume control on the dash would be the biggest concerns. It is a beautiful car that I thought would be a step above the 2014 but it just did not make it. To be fair all car manufacturers have been going to more plastic feel for interiors making them visual look more Sportier and that has caused the matierals in my opinion to be cheaper looking in person.

Old 06-12-2017, 05:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,140 Likes on 1,461 Posts

Originally Posted by ArnoldKay
But in the F-Pace and XE, they're even worse. On top of the door card.

I had a loaner XE, and interior design really irked me. I liked exterior, liked how it handled, liked driver's seats EXCEPT that semi-circular shelf with switches. What The F...

I think Discovery also has that setup.

Last edited by SinF; 06-12-2017 at 05:18 PM.
Old 06-13-2017, 09:29 AM
Received 55 Likes on 31 Posts

The new gen. interiors suck across the board, unfortunately. I had three XFs (2010-V8, 2011-V8 SC, 2014- V6 AWD). Great cars with excellent unique design and interior quality (Portfolio trim in all). This new crop of Jags is a huge letdown in comparison, and I drove all the new models (XF, XE, F-P). Wanting to stay with Jaguar, I was basically forced to upgrade to the XJ when my lease was up last November.
Even the F-Type interior is plastic-intensive.

Last edited by yidal8; 06-13-2017 at 01:37 PM.
Old 06-14-2017, 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by yidal8
The new gen. interiors suck across the board, unfortunately. I had three XFs (2010-V8, 2011-V8 SC, 2014- V6 AWD). Great cars with excellent unique design and interior quality (Portfolio trim in all). This new crop of Jags is a huge letdown in comparison, and I drove all the new models (XF, XE, F-P). Wanting to stay with Jaguar, I was basically forced to upgrade to the XJ when my lease was up last November.

AH yes. The XJ. Bigger than the XF and so I didn't buy it. Don't forget that the price of the XJ is considerably higher so you should expect more quality and upmarket materials for your money. I do like the XJ. Congratulations. I don't lease so I had to shell out the cash from my retired-guy piggy bank.

cheers

Old 06-14-2017, 10:24 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by yidal8
I thought about getting the XJ, as I like the exterior styling a bit more, and considering my XF S AWD with all options had an MSRP of over $83K (not what I paid), it wouldn't have been much more expensive with comparable options. I just really dislike the big round air vents on the dash. I've waited a couple of years now hoping the interior of the XF would be a little more luxurious or at least get rid of the hard plastics, or that the XJ would finally be restyled to get rid of those big vents, but got tired of waiting. Although the XJ wouldn't have cost much more, if at all, I don't want to lose any performance and getting the 470 hp model was a $14K upcharge. But, our kids are out of the house now so I don't need a really big car. The XF is just the right compromise for me. I'll be ticked if they finally improve the interior of either car in 2019! Wonder why the 2018 XJ isn't yet shown on the Jag site?