XF (X260) 2015 onwards

2018 XF Tire Pressure Monitor Error?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2018, 08:04 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2018 XF Tire Pressure Monitor Error?

A few days ago the TPM error on the dash came on identifying the rear right tire as low. I've checked all tires with two different gauges - all read 39 psi. The error message persists. Wondering if there's any way to reset it, or figure out why it's giving that message?
Thanks
Ian

Old 08-30-2018, 10:42 AM
Veteran Member
Received 338 Likes on 245 Posts

I suspect you have the TPMS load set to normal and that tire is on the cusp of triggering a warning. There are two load settings .... normal, and comfort. If you want 39 lbs. then set it to light load and the warning will trigger at a much lower pressure. Are you aware you can read tire pressure to within a pound using the car's system?

Old 08-30-2018, 10:45 AM

Thanks for your reply - we got the car a month ago for my wife and haven't really changed any of the settings. I assume that the load settings, etc., are accessible and set with the menu button on the steering wheel? I didn't realize there were 2 load settings - I'll change that - when you say there's normal and comfort, and suggest setting to 'light load' - is that the comfort setting?
I'll check that tonight - thanks again!!

Edit: my wife just arrived and I checked the car - changed TPM to light load - I'll also change tire pressure to 35psi after they cool. I expect that'll take care of the problem.
Thank you again!

Last edited by IHG90; 08-30-2018 at 11:59 AM.
Old 08-31-2018, 07:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 438 Likes on 387 Posts

I'm not sure that's the right fix here. You've just lowered the trigger point but not solved the issue. And your tires are now under inflated. Normal is what you should typically drive with. That's appropriate for the vehicle. If you want the 'comfort' of slightly under inflated tires then that's fine. But the system adjusts for that difference by changing the threshold
So
1) choose first whether you want a normal ride or the comfort level. Set the system accordingly
2) inflate the tires when cool before driving to the level that the plate on the door recommends for that setting
3) look on the menu for tpms setting and check that they are all reading correctly. It should show actual pressure then recommended for each tire.
Then it should work fine. If you still get a low pressure issue then you have a system fault or faulty sensor and should get it changed out

Old 08-31-2018, 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by BritCars
I'm not sure that's the right fix here. You've just lowered the trigger point but not solved the issue. And your tires are now under inflated. Normal is what you should typically drive with. That's appropriate for the vehicle. If you want the 'comfort' of slightly under inflated tires then that's fine. But the system adjusts for that difference by changing the threshold
So
1) choose first whether you want a normal ride or the comfort level. Set the system accordingly
2) inflate the tires when cool before driving to the level that the plate on the door recommends for that setting
3) look on the menu for tpms setting and check that they are all reading correctly. It should show actual pressure then recommended for each tire.
Then it should work fine. If you still get a low pressure issue then you have a system fault or faulty sensor and should get it changed out
Thanks for responding - I think I do understand the issue. We have 245/40/19 tires. The recommended pressures vary - these are 31/36psi:
https://www.puretyre.co.uk/search-re...-18-245/40R19/
Right now I have TPM set on 'light' with 36psi all around. Almost always driven by my wife alone, with an empty trunk. I've never owned a car with pressures above 40, like the 'normal' setting on the XF - just seems high to me - I know you said they're now 'underinflated' at 36psi, but is it truly the case that this car is meant to be driven at 43+ psi?
Not sure why only the right rear showed as an error at 40psi under 'normal' - but I bet if I inflate them all as recommended under 'normal' it'd be fine again.
Thanks - interested in your feedback.
Ian

Last edited by IHG90; 08-31-2018 at 09:34 PM.
Old 08-31-2018, 09:33 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by IHG90
.... they're now 'underinflated' at 36psi, but is it truly the case that this car is meant to be driven at 43+psi?......
Two modes available. "Light Load" which is what you normally have or "Normal" which is rare for most load situations. 36 is where I keep them and I'm usually alone with no/little cargo. I increase to "Normal" recommendations when I travel with wife/dog/baggage. I like the algorithm Jaguar uses for the warning message. It alarms at specific thresholds instead of set - x lbs. Allows you to set at any reasonable pressure and get alarmed when it falls too low for safety.

Old 08-31-2018, 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by mleskovar
Two modes available. "Light Load" which is what you normally have or "Normal" which is rare for most load situations. 36 is where I keep them and I'm usually alone with no/little cargo. I increase to "Normal" recommendations when I travel with wife/dog/baggage. I like the algorithm Jaguar uses for the warning message. It alarms at specific thresholds instead of set - x lbs. Allows you to set at any reasonable pressure and get alarmed when it falls too low for safety.
I wish Jaguar had used different language/labels - as you said, "Light Load is what you normally have; "Normal Load" is rare for most situations :-)
I'm tempted to stay at "light" with 36 psi unless I hear a good reason to increase above 40 psi and set TPM to 'normal'
Thanks!
Ian

Old 09-01-2018, 07:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 438 Likes on 387 Posts

Yes - it does certainly depend which setting you use. I read normal as normal and typically use that on my cars. But I don't mind a slightly harder ride. Many people prefer the light / comfort setting as standard particularly if it's usually just one person in the car

So you should select the mode you want and inflate the tires accordingly. The system will tell you the recommended pressure that corresponds to that mode - as does the plate in the door

But your question is the right one - why did it give the error before. That was my point - sounds like it's not functioning properly. So I'd suggest keeping an eye on it for a while to ensure it's not a sensor fault as they can be a bit temperamental sometimes

Old 09-01-2018, 07:54 PM

thank you for responding - that makes perfect sense to me. The "normal" recommended pressures of 43/48 just seem too high to me, so I'll leave the TPMS on "light" with recommended 35/35, keep the pressure about 36-37, and keep an eye on the warning (which hasn't come on again since I set the TPMS to light and the pressures to 37 all around.
Thanks again - really appreciate the input from this forum!

Old 09-02-2018, 07:41 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Hi
I received my XF AWD Prestige 2016 from service. They told me tires were way too low at 35 psi and they bumped them to 43/48 which is for Normal. trouble is I want the Light load and lower pressures with only spouse and I in car The TPMS will always switch to LIGHT no matter what pressure I have. Service people seem not to understand a simple fact the TPMS is malfunctioning.

Old 09-02-2018, 08:00 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by BCJAG
...I want the Light load and lower pressures with only spouse and I in car The TPMS will always switch to LIGHT no matter what pressure I have. .....
You choose from the menu what load range you want and can change it. When you first start the car it tells you what tire load has been selected. I've noticed that when I take my car in for service they change it to Normal every time and increase my pressures accordingly and I change it back to where I want it (Light) after I pick up the car and let the tires cool off before lowering the pressure.

Old 09-02-2018, 08:04 PM

You choose from the menu what load range you want and can change it. When you first start the car it tells you what tire load has been selected. I've noticed that when I take my car in for service they change it to Normal every time and increase my pressures accordingly and I change it back to where I want it (Light) after I pick up the car and let the tires cool off before lowering the pressure.
And just to clarify in case it's helpful, the menu is accessed with the menu button on the steering wheel - under vehicle information there's a tire pressure option, and then the option to set TPMS to light or normal... it should retain whatever setting you choose until it's manually changed...

Old 09-03-2018, 04:35 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Understand your point. Problem is that when the dealer bumped pressure to 43/48 and set TPMS to Normal it did NOT stay there. It switches to LIGHT load, I use the Light load and lower pressures for winter driving. I think I have a wonky TPMS.