XF (X260) 2015 onwards

Dinosaur needs help with techie stuff

Old 03-25-2019, 12:42 PM
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Dinosaur needs help with techie stuff

I bought a new 2017 XF with the technology package last year, and I still can't figure out how to take advantage of it. I know that I need to get a SIM card, and that's where I stand.

1. Is the SIM card just a memory device, or do I need to get one from my wireless provider along with a subscription?

2. What wonderful things can I do once I get the SIM card?

3. The dealer logged me in to the car's system, but by the time that I figured out the rest of the car, my trial subscription had expired.

I'm from Eastern Iowa and this is my fourth XF. The first was a used 2009 that had so many problems I had to get rid of it out of sheer frustration. The second was a new 2017 (the first new car that we had ever owned), but the wrong color - we wanted dark red, and when it came in, it was dark purple/brown. We should have turned it down right there, but we took it home, decided we couldn't live with it, and told them to find the right color for us (for extra cash, of course). The third was a beautiful maroon one which we loved until a few months later, when at a stoplight in Chicago, and inattentive driver smashed into the back of it and forced it into the vehicle in front, totalling it. After a VERY frustrating month dealing with the other person's insurance company (rhymes with "Slate Barn), we found our present gem, a white 1027 XF.

Last edited by GGG; 03-26-2019 at 05:18 AM. Reason: Remove FOR SALE advertisement - only in MARKETPLACE!
Old 03-25-2019, 02:04 PM
GGG
Received 16,757 Likes on 12,146 Posts

I've moved your question from New Member Area - Intro a MUST to X260 forum. Members here with the same model will be able to help.

Graham

Old 03-25-2019, 03:33 PM
Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

1. Sim card is needed to turn your car into a hot spot. Essentially giving away the internet to all the car occupants.. And you need to get it from the wireless provider with a subscription. I'd say you keep your money and won't use it. At least I don't.

2. See above - you can give away free WiFi.

3. I doubt your subscription has expired - it is good for 5 years for the new car. And it's included with the purchase. You will need to keep subscribing after 5 years. And only if you want to use your Jaguar app - it is good for notifications, your car location, remote start etc... Otherwise forget it. What I think expired is your Sat radio subscription - it's only good for 3 months with the new car.

The following 2 users liked this post by ololly:
GGG (03-26-2019), SinF (04-11-2019)
Old 03-26-2019, 12:20 PM
Banned

So why is the message center always asking me to log in when I'm at a stoplight. What happens/is available once I login?

Old 03-26-2019, 12:38 PM
Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Quicktruck
So why is the message center always asking me to log in when I'm at a stoplight. What happens/is available once I login?
Have you install the Jaguar app? If so you will need to login and most likely go through the initial setup. This way the app will synchronize with your ICT (or most likely ICTP - with 10 inch screen) and you will be able to send directions from your phone to your Navigation; Nav can send your ETA to your contacts, you'll be able to start a car from your phone and other wonderful things

Old 04-09-2019, 11:14 AM
Banned

I have the cool app on the phone and it works great.

When I do the login on the 10" screen, it gets all the way to the end then dead-ends with a notification that I don't have an internet connection - every time.

I am able to connect my iphone to the car through the USB, but I haven't found anything that it does. What can I do with the phone attached that I couldn't do before?

Originally Posted by ololly
Have you install the Jaguar app? If so you will need to login and most likely go through the initial setup. This way the app will synchronize with your ICT (or most likely ICTP - with 10 inch screen) and you will be able to send directions from your phone to your Navigation; Nav can send your ETA to your contacts, you'll be able to start a car from your phone and other wonderful things

Last edited by Quicktruck; 04-09-2019 at 11:16 AM.
Old 04-11-2019, 12:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,140 Likes on 1,461 Posts

Originally Posted by Quicktruck
Modern cars have a lot of tracking built in and this is why they want you to get SIM card and log in - so they can track you. You don't need to log-in, you can turn all of these features off without losing much of functionality, but you need to find where they hid decline and opt-out options. Well, your in-dash GPS won't have live traffic updates and you won't have in-car WiFi connection but that is about it. When I had XF loaner with this nuisance I managed to find decline/turn off options for all of these and it stopped nagging me to log in. I recall I had to scroll around a lot to find these options.

I work in tech and also found these annoying and menu options badly designed. So it isn't just you. What were they thinking asking you to log on into your infotainment system? What next, log in to your fridge?

Last edited by SinF; 04-11-2019 at 12:10 PM.