XJ40 ( XJ81 ) 1986 - 1994

All mechanical stuff fixed now some work on misc stuff

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2013, 02:47 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default All mechanical stuff fixed now some work on misc stuff

Hey everyone, I hope you are having a good day.

I had some time today to go through the Jag and figure out some stuff that I know was not working.

One of these is the power antenna. It doesnt go up or down. I found that the antenna was not hooked up on the Coax side. Got that fixed. Then there was a red wire and a green wire from the antenna that was not connected to anything. Also along the wiring harness in the back there are 2 wires (I am assuming for the antenna) that are green one with a blueish stripe and one with a redish stripe. They are stripped out and just hanging there. I am going to check some electrical diagrams unless one of you knows off hand what they are . I tried to hook up the wires from the antenna to the two loose wires as one should be up and the other down and nothing... I have to bench test the antenna to see if it is working at all. I think I can use any 12v battery to test right?

The other thing is some thug stole the front emblem on the hood. I bought a new one and it came with a sticky pad for it. Placing it on the hood it just easily peeled off. There is a vacant hole with 2 prongs there now. I feel like I am missing something. Does anyone know what the mounting system looks like. I am almost 100% sure I got the right bonnet emblem from Jagbits and it has the square chrome with the black and copperish insert growler. That piece has a post in it but no mounting pins or anything. It was hard enough to find the replacement so if someone knows something about that and can help out that would be great.

Finally one of the license plate lights broke inside the boot. It looks like the metal prongs that you attach + and - to broke off from the plastic. I tried to remove the lens to get a replacement and cant figure out how to get it out of the hole. I removed the screws and it moves freely but won't back out.

In anycase thanks in advance for any info you can give me. I will continue to search online but you guys (and gals) are always so helpful and way quicker than me.

have a great day!

Old 05-21-2013, 04:58 PM

Ok more messing with the antenna. I touched the leads to a 12v source. Hear a buzzing sound but no go up or down. This is what I am working with. Since I didn't do any installs or fixes I don't know even if this is OEM or what.

Attached Thumbnails All mechanical stuff fixed now some work on misc stuff-20130521_164834.jpg   All mechanical stuff fixed now some work on misc stuff-20130521_164816.jpg   All mechanical stuff fixed now some work on misc stuff-20130521_164823.jpg  
Old 05-28-2013, 04:29 PM

Does anyone know of a good write up or how in general to replace the Growler badge on a VDP on the grille? The previous owner had the badge stolen sveral times and replaced it with a Jag Plug. I removed the plug but not seeing how to maneuver the new badge in place with the retaining arms. I am concerned that if I bend them out one will break or I won't be able to get them tight again.

Thoughts?

Old 05-28-2013, 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by Rutty
Does anyone know of a good write up or how in general to replace the Growler badge on a VDP on the grille? The previous owner had the badge stolen sveral times and replaced it with a Jag Plug. I removed the plug but not seeing how to maneuver the new badge in place with the retaining arms. I am concerned that if I bend them out one will break or I won't be able to get them tight again.

Thoughts?

i replaced mine a while back and found the best thing to hold it on the grill, was number / license plate tape!
i`m sure it will be available in the states and is extremely sticky. i`ve used it for a number of applications, as its that good.

reference you antenna.
the red and green wire take the aeriel up and down. if you connect it direct to a 12 volt battery, red on positive and green on negative, the antenna will/should go up or down. swap the wires over on the battery, so that green is to positive, red to negative, the mast will go up or down. cant remember without testing myself, which way round the wires operate the aeriel/antenna. without checking, i would assume the black is an earth/ground.

`I am assuming for the antenna) that are green one with a blueish stripe and one with a redish stripe.`

doubt this is for the antenna, but again, without looking, not sure what it would be for!

The following users liked this post:
Rutty (05-29-2013)
Old 05-29-2013, 04:46 PM

I used a battery for my drill and the motor makes a noise but no up or down no matter which direction I go. Almost sounds like a buzz.

I am going to have to spend some time with a wiring diagram to find out what the 2 cut wires are. I would assume to the antenna but who knows.

On a totally different topic, I went to a friend of the family today to see what it would cost to repaint and fix some dents. He said he thinks he can get the scratches out with a good buffing (he is a professional body shop) and the hood dings and repaint would have to be done. Total price. 650! SWEET.

Old 05-29-2013, 04:47 PM

Oh and ps. The grill you have is different from the VDP. The VDP is "fluted" so there is no mount point. I used a pair of curved nose pliers to give me good surface area contact and bent the prongs. Slid the medallion into place and bent back. All is good with the front badge.

Old 05-29-2013, 04:59 PM

although my car is a sovereign, i have the fluted daimler grill myself, WITH growler in the middle;

Attached Thumbnails All mechanical stuff fixed now some work on misc stuff-fluted-grill-1.jpg   All mechanical stuff fixed now some work on misc stuff-fluted-grill-2.jpg  
Old 05-30-2013, 07:57 AM

Sorry I hope I didn't offend. I didn't realize you had a different grill. Mine there wasn't enough surface area to use the sticky tape on the bigger growler. It just has the hole in the center with the little medallion.

Old 05-30-2013, 12:58 PM

Sorry I hope I didn't offend
no way. not sure why you thought you had!

now i can`t remember whay `hole` was in mine, so you`ve got me on this one. i do vaguely remember, if i`m correct, breaking the locating peg/s off the back of the growler, so that it would fit on the grill. so if i`m thinking that, i must have done it

Old 05-30-2013, 07:02 PM

Yeah I looked at it again and the only other thing I could have done is add more tape to it to raise the base a bit so it would sit in the groove there. I think I will just stick with the stock little holey one. I really like the look of the other but I am feeling a bit lazy about it now. HAHA>

I didn't really (or hoped I didn't) make you mad. Sometimes on these forums you say something about a different trim and people get all up in arms like we called their mothers a dirty name. I don't want to be that guy.

Old 05-30-2013, 07:06 PM

Here is the original part. 14 instead of 60 bucks USD.

Attached Thumbnails All mechanical stuff fixed now some work on misc stuff-20130530_190344_resized.jpg  
Old 05-30-2013, 09:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,124 Likes on 790 Posts

Nice job Rutty. I like the fluted grill. Dont have one,,,,, but I like. Glad youre up to the challenge. It will be well worth it.