Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Status of the shop

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2015, 10:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts
Default Status of the shop

1. The Jaguar is purring. I have deferred the speedometer correction task. It is still working on the old method. reading fast. I know what to do and have the stuff.

During it's in the driveway stay pending electric fixes. it got pretty dirty. A bath helped a lot. Quickly done and with a shut off nozzle over what was once my front lawn? The trees got a drink. And, they provided much needed shade. Washing in bright sun has it's downfall.

However, there are some little yellow dabs on the dorsal surface!! Tree, bird or bug droppings?

And, from others, powdered WD40. None at the Ace store. but, I found a can that seemed similar in another brand (?). Gave the window chnnels a shot. Works!

So, taking a page from LnrB's book, I got some McGuire detail spray. OK!!!
Not only dissolves the little spots, but adds needed lustre. Shoulders only do a bit at a time. So far. 1/2 the bonnet and 1/2 the panel on the roof ahead of the sun roof.

2. But, as a diversion, I found an ancient tool box under my bench. Rust monster got to it and contents. Box restified with rust converter, Rustoleum primer and a slather of the military version of WD40. Looks OK. latches work. One needed a tad of hammer and dolly to get it flat.

Work on rusty tools in progress. 100 ' reel tape. Done. Try square. Done.
Wooden handle screw driver done. Weird stamped steel multi wrench. done. Hand drill refuses to turn, so far. On bench drenched in Liquid Wrench. Heat next????

Carl

Old 08-30-2015, 12:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 8,950 Likes on 5,295 Posts
Default Status of the B's Shop

This could be a pretty fun thread Carl, I'll play!

I managed to sell a car that has been in the way here since 2010; and in so doing, freeing up many cubic feet of space taken up by parts of that car not to mention having to avoid it in the driveway. I'm well rid it it all!!

Jaguar parts no longer clog up the dining table or the living room. Jaguar pieces-parts are finding their way to the car one at a time until only the front tires and hub caps remain loose in the shop. During the peak of this project there wasn't room in the shop to change your mind! It's beginning too look a little sparse by comparison out there now.

We got the hood/bonnet set in place yesterday with the help of a neighbor but, getting it adjusted properly is giving me fits. I took the grill out so as to reach in the hole and twiddle the bolts, but we put a trans cooler in front of the condenser and I can't get my hands past the plumbing so we're having to do it the hard way. I had to walk away finally last night before I ruined something. I'll tackle it again maybe Monday afternoon.

Husband has been busy cleaning tools and putting them away. He's been at it for several days. Someone mentioned in jest that we had almost every tool in the known universe, and we had most of them out to work on this car over the past several months. The work table is cleared and the tool drawers are again filled with CLEAN tools!!

We got some rain on all our fires, so the sky is clear, the sun is bright, greatly enhancing the general mood. When I get the hood adjusted to my liking, we'll set her on the ground and the shop will be back to "normal."
(';')

Old 08-30-2015, 01:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,058 Likes on 451 Posts

My shop, (garage) is empty!!!! well, no cars in it at the mo. Both the jag and the new outback are in the driveway! Garage actually looks like a shop right now as i have tables and saws set up at different spots while i work on building my kitchen cabinets! well, upper upper cabinets, no thats not me repeating myself!! i am building cabinets to go above the upper cabinets, the 12 inches up there seems like such wasted space!!! so now my cabinets go all the way up! Wont be useable though as instead of doors i will be using frosted plexi in the holes and i have installed rope lighting inside!!! looks awesome and i no longer have dead space up there!!!

Once done, i will likely be moving my work bench into one of my sheds along with tool box and peg board, wife wants garage to be just for parking cars in not storage or work!!! happy wife happy life!!!

Dont feel bad for me though, my shed is pretty big and i just bought a nice ac window unit for it! much smaller than garage so ac will actually cool it down and not be battling a hot garage door!!!

Old 09-01-2015, 11:19 AM
Veteran Member

Multi tasking in shop after household chores yesterday. Laundry day!!!
Had to be. Shirt and underwear supply almost to reserve levels.

1. Switched from McGuire detail spray to McGuire Polish and wax. Those little blobs of unknown etiology more stubborn roof top! Mission growth. A lot more shine!!! A panel at a time will be my pace. Except for bonnet and roof. !/4 at a time at most.

2. Thick black open end wrench Oldie for sure. ID an issue. One end marked 1/2. have not measured or tried , but looks big. Embossed "W" on the shank. Etched mark on end not legible, wear!!! Four punch marks in a square. Old mechanic way of marking his tool as to ownership. Crude wrench by todays standard. But, awful tough looking. Few of these got busted, I expect. A Whitworth???? I'll measure and try today after errands.

Carl

Old 09-01-2015, 04:37 PM
Received 6,317 Likes on 4,367 Posts

The XJ6 running sweet but is parked on the road this week, lost my garage for a few days to my brother with his bicycles that get flown around with him. Put the Jeep in because he tends to lean things against the car and place things like pumps and cycle helmets on the car roof or boot.
You would think being an ex panel shop owner/car restorer he would be more careful. He seems to spread out and take over all available space with junk, at least it's only a few days at a time a couple of times a year between FIFO jobs.

Will have my space back next week to prep car for the All British Day.

Old 09-05-2015, 11:56 AM
Veteran Member

Clarke:

Not at all odd. Remember the tale of the cobbler whose kids had no shoes.?

And, in more modern terms, professional auto tech's cars are won't tobe a tad ratty????

Or, a ding here and there, no big deal, easily fixed....

But dings to the most of us, tis a big deal.... got one that is beyond my means to fix properly....

Carl

Old 09-05-2015, 05:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,086 Likes on 1,261 Posts

I have a BMW tucked away on one side and a 1960 Morris on jack stands on the other side . I like contrast. As is required the floor under the Morris is covered with tools and debris. It currently has its front end in disarray for new tie rod ends and steering rack boots.

My garage is mildly symbolic of WW2. The Germans and Japanese on one side and the British, Americans and Australians on the other side. I really need an Italian car to complete the Axis powers, and of course destroy any remaining sanity.

The Jag is banished to the carport , so I an expecting a sulky episode at any minute.

Last edited by yarpos; 09-05-2015 at 07:00 PM. Reason: english as a first and broken language
Old 09-05-2015, 06:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 8,950 Likes on 5,295 Posts

@ Steve!!
(';')

Old 09-05-2015, 07:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 425 Likes on 325 Posts

Originally Posted by yarpos

The Jag is banished to the carport , so I an expecting a sulky episode at any minute.
Very likely. The Brits are good at being self effacing, but will always demand satisfaction when insulted!