XF (X260) 2015 onwards

F-Type Wheels on XF?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2019, 08:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question F-Type Wheels on XF?

Does anyone know if the F-Type 20" Storm wheels would fit on a 16' XFS...I saw a carbon color set the other day and thought to myself they would look pretty slick but not sure about bolt patterns, spacing, etc.

Anyone with more technical skills or the time know the answer?

Old 01-03-2019, 08:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,270 Likes on 875 Posts

Rear wheel width is likely to be your problem, I thought about putting my 19" black Centriguge wheels from my F Type (replaced with Vorsteiners) onto my wife's XE, and struck two problems:

1. although the front wheels would fit, the rears would be too wide and might hit the guard at bumps;
2. my wife would remove my ********* if I interfered with her car.

I would risk the first issue, not the second. The 20"s would be wider still. There is a site which has all of the max sizes on it, if I find it I will edit this post. You might find it here https://www.wheel-size.com/size/jaguar/xf/2016/

Last edited by BruceTheQuail; 01-03-2019 at 11:04 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by BruceTheQuail:
Ichi Ban (11-05-2019), MeowMeow (01-04-2019), Panthro (09-24-2023), rtcosic (01-04-2019)
Old 01-04-2019, 12:40 PM

Appreciate the quick reply - I'm assuming the XE and F-Type platforms are similar given the size of both cars. I'll check out that link to see if I can find anything about fitment on the XF.

Old 01-09-2019, 09:03 PM
Received 114 Likes on 79 Posts

I ran my ftype 19” propeller wheels on 2016 for about a year before selling. No issues and the car looked awesome. Tried same wheels on my 2018 XE. Fronts looked and worked great but rears too wide and bumped fenders on bumps so the wheels no good for the XE.

The following users liked this post:
BruceTheQuail (01-12-2019)
Old 01-11-2019, 06:57 PM

I decided to go with the Modulare Forged in gloss black

www.modularewheels.com

Old 01-12-2019, 01:04 AM
Veteran Member

Nice, I put Vorsteiner 21's on the f type in black graphite and michelin tyres, the car is now heaps lighter, handles better and the ride is as good as on 19's. The OEM wheel/tyre combination could be better...

Stwsam, thanks, that answers me as well. It's a shame coz the XE could use stepped out rears that really fill the arches.

Old 01-12-2019, 02:21 AM
Veteran Member
Received 3,126 Likes on 2,304 Posts

Originally Posted by BruceTheQuail
Nice, I put Vorsteiner 21's on the f type in black graphite and michelin tyres, the car is now heaps lighter, handles better and the ride is as good as on 19's. The OEM wheel/tyre combination could be better...

Stwsam, thanks, that answers me as well. It's a shame coz the XE could use stepped out rears that really fill the arches.
Hey Bruce, why not just shove some spacers/adapters on the rear hubs?
15 mm ought to do it, heaps out there in the correct Jag size for not a lot of $.

Old 01-12-2019, 11:11 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MeowMeow
I decided to go with the Modulare Forged in gloss black

www.modularewheels.com
I'd love to see how this turned out, post a picture when you get a chance. Thanks!

Old 01-12-2019, 02:09 PM
Received 114 Likes on 79 Posts

I have been wrestling with modern jags and wheels for quite a while. Here is what I can share and feel confident of accuracy. All modern jags use the same bolt
pattern, 5x108. By modern, I can at least go back to around 2004 with confidence, but I have no earlier experience. This same bolt pattern is shared by Land Rover
LR2, Evoque and Velar. Had them done it so I know the bolt pattern is correct. The older Disco 2, Range Rover , new Range Rover full size and Range Rover sport use a different pattern and a more robust lug.

With the XE, I have a new S that comes with staggered wheels. The fronts are 8"x20" wide with 49mm positive offset. The rears are 9 x 20" with 61mm offset. Now follow me here as I get confused myself, the greater the positive offset number the more the wheel shifts from its centerline inboard toward the suspension. For example, a 40mm offset moves the wheel further outside of the car chassis than a 60mm. Recently, I put a set of f type propeller 19" wheels on the XE. Front rims were 8.5" with a 49mm offset. The front tire was a 245 versus the XE 235 front std on the S with 20" rims. So, bolt pattern good, offset the same, added 1/2" to wheel size and larger tire. The tire stayed inside the fender, looked great and all was good. However, the rub, pun intended. The rear propeller has an offset of 27mm which is 34 mm less and the center of the wheel moves out from the cars chassis. For us dumb American's, that is 1-11/32", almost 1.5" . Add to that the rear tire on the propeller 19 is a 275 versus the 255 standard on the XE S 20" rim means you are going from a 10" wide tire to a 10.8" tire, or almost another inch. So the 19" rear propeller wheel moved the outer edge of my tire outward just over 2"(I am getting confused now!) That is when I got a tire rub on my fender, BAD, over a bump.

So, with all the above I tried a set of Storms on my XE as I had an F type with carbon ceramic brakes and the big storms. I forget the exact measurements, but the rear tire was almost 3+" outside of the body work. I the U.S.A., " them are redneck clearances!" The next thing I would have to do is jack up the rear end which is what us rednecks did in the 60's and 70's to get fender clearance. Bottom line, this was not the look I was going for on my sleek little XE. So, f ytpe wheels are kind of out, even though they fit and look good, unless you want to cut bodywork which is what Jag did when they built the Project 8. I too and am trying to figure out how to get about another inch out of the rear tire patch on the XE as it is already breaking loose with 380 hp, I know it will need much more grip when I add VAP tune to 450. I ran that tune on my V6 f type and it is worth every penny.

More later if and when I figure out the bigger wheel patch. Also attempting to change XE brakes to larger Ftype brakes, but that is a bit more down the road.

BruceTheQuail (01-12-2019)
Old 01-12-2019, 03:18 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by OzXFR
Hey Bruce, why not just shove some spacers/adapters on the rear hubs?
15 mm ought to do it, heaps out there in the correct Jag size for not a lot of $.
Good suggestion but up here in Qld spacers are illegal. Strangley enough lifting and lowering isnt. Anyway it is my wife's car, she knows that I am keen to do stuff to it and I am being watched, so I'll never get away with it.

Panthro (09-24-2023)
Old 01-12-2019, 03:29 PM

When looking at aftermarket wheels and tires, there are all kinds of things to consider. Fit seems like the theme of this thread, so we'll stick with this first.

To me, offset is critical. I won't change out wheels unless I can get the same offset, or a favorable offset differential against the additional width. This takes some doing. I often just make a template out of cardboard or thin mdf that fits over my existing tire and look at clearances everywhere. Sometimes the wider wheel/tire needs to be pushed out away from the suspension, so a more positive offset is required, but too much gets you into the fender rubbing situation. It just depends on the car.

Spacers. Looks good, drives bad. I've driven cars with < 10mm with minor degradation, but 15mm+ is going to increase your scrub radius too much and you may not like how it drives. Also, I don't monkey around with rear track vs. front track by doing spacers on one end. A bunch of engineers sweated over this stuff, I'm not too keen on "fixing" it without knowing exactly what may be the down-sides.

Then there's all wheel drive, which is standard on my XF-S. In this case, you are likely restricted to running identical wheel tire dimensions all four corners, to maintain identical rolling diameter. This is often a requirement for all-wheel drive cars, but not exactly sure about the XF.

Throw on top of this brake clearance, differences in tread-width on same spec'd tires, tire compound... it's gets fun...

Old 01-12-2019, 05:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,126 Likes on 2,304 Posts

Originally Posted by madgrey
When looking at aftermarket wheels and tires, there are all kinds of things to consider. Fit seems like the theme of this thread, so we'll stick with this first.

To me, offset is critical. I won't change out wheels unless I can get the same offset, or a favorable offset differential against the additional width. This takes some doing. I often just make a template out of cardboard or thin mdf that fits over my existing tire and look at clearances everywhere. Sometimes the wider wheel/tire needs to be pushed out away from the suspension, so a more positive offset is required, but too much gets you into the fender rubbing situation. It just depends on the car.

Spacers. Looks good, drives bad. I've driven cars with < 10mm with minor degradation, but 15mm+ is going to increase your scrub radius too much and you may not like how it drives. Also, I don't monkey around with rear track vs. front track by doing spacers on one end. A bunch of engineers sweated over this stuff, I'm not too keen on "fixing" it without knowing exactly what may be the down-sides.

Then there's all wheel drive, which is standard on my XF-S. In this case, you are likely restricted to running identical wheel tire dimensions all four corners, to maintain identical rolling diameter. This is often a requirement for all-wheel drive cars, but not exactly sure about the XF.

Throw on top of this brake clearance, differences in tread-width on same spec'd tires, tire compound... it's gets fun...
Sorry but I disagree about spacers.
I ran 20 mm spacers on my XFS for two years, 15 mm spacers on my XFR for two years and 15 mm spacers on my F-Type for 2.3 years so far, all four wheels in every case, and I haven't had a single problem with "drives bad", all three cars drove/drive perfectly.
The caveat is I have always used hub centric spacers/adapters with the correct centre bore to fit nice and tight on the hub ring.

Old 01-13-2019, 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by OzXFR
I have always used hub centric spacers/adapters with the correct centre bore to fit nice and tight on the hub ring.
I agree on this one, don't cheap out. The good thing about spacers is that it's going to be a much smaller investment against getting new wheels and/or tires, so at least you can back them out if you don't like the way the car tracks. Alignment can fix some of the down-sides of increasing scrub radius also, which may be an o.k. solution for some.

Old 01-16-2019, 10:40 PM

Now I'm on the hunt for the black/charcoal center cap that matches the valve stem caps I picked up from the dealer.