XF (X260) 2015 onwards

Kickdown on XF 2.2 200hp

Old 06-05-2017, 05:32 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kickdown on XF 2.2 200hp

I'm considering this one: https://www.finn.no/car/used/ad.html?finnkode=96254319
Since I now own a S-type, I canīt get myself to switch to Skoda, VW, BWM etc. I want to stick to Jaguar.

But then I saw this review.

He is complaining about the kickdown, not letting him gear all the way down, making the car not accelerate as fast a he wants. I'm not sure what car he is testing, but is this the case in the 2.2, 200hp?

Also, is i turbo diesel or just diesel?

Old 06-06-2017, 12:44 AM

Anyone?

Old 06-06-2017, 01:33 AM
Veteran Member
Received 3,113 Likes on 2,296 Posts

All JLR diesels are turbo diesels, as are pretty much all diesels these days.
The turbo lag/delay/slow kick down is quite common on the 2.2 diesel, nearly all of them do it, the usual solution is to anticipate when you need to take off in a hurry and use the left paddle shifter to select the lowest gear available.
PS - you have posted in the X260 section, you should really be in the X250 section.

Old 06-06-2017, 02:02 AM

Perhaps someone can move the post to X250?

So the car I'm linking to, the 200hp 2.2 have gear shifter on the steering wheel?

Old 06-06-2017, 03:28 AM
Veteran Member

All XFs have paddle shifters behind the steering wheel.
You can configure them so they work only in S (sport) mode, or they work in both S & Drive.
Probably best for the 2.2 to have them working in both S & D.

Last edited by OzXFR; 06-06-2017 at 03:31 AM.
Old 06-06-2017, 09:36 AM

Thanks for the answer!

I'm buying the XF. I want to try it out. Perhaps I need to go for a bigger engine later on.

How is the kickdown on the 3.0 D V6 with 275hp?

Old 06-06-2017, 07:03 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Haugen
Thanks for the answer!

I'm buying the XF. I want to try it out. Perhaps I need to go for a bigger engine later on.

How is the kickdown on the 3.0 D V6 with 275hp?
My first Jag was a 3.0 D 275 hp, a 2010 XFS, which I chipped to around 320 hp and 720 Nm of torque.
The kickdown was inconsistent, sometimes it kicked down nice and quick, other times nothing happened for a second or so and then it took off. The gear you are in before you attempt to invoke kick down, the revs, the speed, and how you have been driving recently (sporting or cruising) all effect how it kicks down. Also, the secondary turbo kicks in at 2,700 rpm, and sometimes the gearbox doesn't kick down until that point, but when it does it can be savage. As I said before, the solution for me was to use the left paddle and manually change down at least one, sometimes two or even three gears before I put my foot down. The 2.2 has only one turbo so it doesn't have the "second turbo now kicking in" effect. The biggest problem with the 2.2 from what I have read is when you slow down to a crawl but don't stop, and then you flatten the accelerator for a quick take off and nothing much happens for up to two seconds. For example, entering a roundabout and trying to squirt into a small gap.

Old 06-09-2017, 03:54 AM

Originally Posted by OzXFR
My first Jag was a 3.0 D 275 hp, a 2010 XFS, which I chipped to around 320 hp and 720 Nm of torque.
The kickdown was inconsistent, sometimes it kicked down nice and quick, other times nothing happened for a second or so and then it took off. The gear you are in before you attempt to invoke kick down, the revs, the speed, and how you have been driving recently (sporting or cruising) all effect how it kicks down. Also, the secondary turbo kicks in at 2,700 rpm, and sometimes the gearbox doesn't kick down until that point, but when it does it can be savage. As I said before, the solution for me was to use the left paddle and manually change down at least one, sometimes two or even three gears before I put my foot down. The 2.2 has only one turbo so it doesn't have the "second turbo now kicking in" effect. The biggest problem with the 2.2 from what I have read is when you slow down to a crawl but don't stop, and then you flatten the accelerator for a quick take off and nothing much happens for up to two seconds. For example, entering a roundabout and trying to squirt into a small gap.
Thank you very much for your well informed post. Appreciate it! Just want the 3.0 D more now. But it have to wait. It'll do with the 2,2 for now.
But isn't the slow kick down from a crawl quite normal with diesel engine? I guess a diesel engine with injection perform better?
I really love the acceleration, but it comes with a price, both in purchasing and fuel economy. And since I live in Norway, purchasing cars is expensive...