XF (X260) 2015 onwards

The Little Things

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2019, 09:15 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default The Little Things

So the other day I came across a youtube video of a guy who was just driving his XF after getting it and doing a review. One of his complaints was that he couldn't get the cruise control to work and it made me remember one of the little things I like about the XF. The guy was so used to needing to turn cruise control ON/OFF that he thought the Limiter function was the on off feature and was trying to set his cruise control using that. I like the fact that I don't need to know if cruise control is on or off, I just set it because the feature is automatically on by default and can't be turned off (speed can be cancelled but the feature itself is always on).

It's the only car I've been in where I didn't have to make sure the feature of cruise control was "On" before I attempted to use it. My last car defaulted to off every time the engine was stopped,and if I didn't enable cruise control again I couldn't set it. So the youtuber was so used to needing to do that function that it caused him to not understand how cruise control worked in his new XF. So that's the "little thing" about the XF I personally like, always on Cruise control and one less button I need to press for doing such a simple function; any little things anyone else can think of?

Old 11-11-2019, 12:23 PM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I have had my XF for almost a month now, I have never tried to use the cruise control, I had no idea it was always "on" and I don't really know what that means if it is not set for some speed and not operating.
On the other hand, there is this annoying feature that keeps killing the engine at stop signs and slow creeping traffic which I would like to disable. If anyone knows the trick, please share.
P.

Old 11-12-2019, 08:41 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

The "Auto Stop/Start" feature. Yeah its annoying and can't be turned off permanently as far as I know. I'm just in the habit of disabling it everytime I start the car. If you look by your driving dynamics selector buttons you'll see another one in that area with a capital A. Once you press it a message will display between your tachs saying "Auto Start Stop Disabled".

Most cars I've been in you have to first turn "Cruise Control" on with a lever or button. Once cruise control is on, then and only then can you set your speed/cruise control. The XF does not have that function, their is no switch that turns Cruise Control on or off, the ability to set your speed is always enabled. So when you're driving and you want to set your speed you just have to hit the Set or + button, you don't need to find the button or lever that you first have to engage/turn on cruise control before you can set it.

Last edited by Dregun; 11-12-2019 at 08:46 AM.
The following users liked this post:
JagWire_5280 (11-12-2019)
Old 11-12-2019, 11:19 AM
Veteran Member
Received 345 Likes on 250 Posts

Originally Posted by Dregun
........ Yeah its annoying and can't be turned off permanently as far as I know. .....
Mine has been turned off 'permanently' (unless I plug it back in) for 3 years with no problem. Easy to do, go into trunk, open little door, pull plug. There's a thread on it.

Old 11-14-2019, 01:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 861 Likes on 709 Posts

New to this forum (I frequent the 308), but thinking of a 260 when the lease runs out on my Continental. My son in law rented a 2019 for a week's drive through Tennessee before we arrived together in Asheville. Drove it around a bit: great car.

After years of Jags and Land Rovers, I find the need to turn on the cruise control in the Continental a pain in the butt.

But once I switch back to Jag, first thing will be to disable the start/stop: one thing in the new Lincoln that is NOT a pain in the . . .

Last edited by Jhartz; 11-14-2019 at 01:15 PM.