XF (X260) 2015 onwards

Newbie - First Jag (XF)

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2016, 10:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie - First Jag (XF)

Hey all,

I just took my delivery of a new XF 35t AWD. Loving this car!!!

Long story short, I got a fantastic deal not going with the S model, which leads me to my question. Is it possible to have the engine tuned up to the 380 hp? I understand that all the 3.0 engines are the same, is it really just a tuning difference? Are other (mechanical) components different?

Also, would it even be worth the difference for a 1/10 of second or so change in acceleration?

Old 07-28-2016, 11:27 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Last week I emailed EuroCharged about the 2016 V6 engines.

For your 35t the claim is +40whp with their supercharger pulley ($150 parts/$330 labor) and ECU tune ($900).

Whether or not it's worth it? Your choice.

Old 08-01-2016, 03:32 PM
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Justo
Last week I emailed EuroCharged about the 2016 V6 engines.

For your 35t the claim is +40whp with their supercharger pulley ($150 parts/$330 labor) and ECU tune ($900).

Whether or not it's worth it? Your choice.
And the end of the warranty it would seem?

Old 08-01-2016, 06:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 436 Likes on 385 Posts

I think the OPs question is whether you can take a new XF with the 340hp V6 and put the Jag 380hp V6 tune onto it? If the parts are all physically the same that should be possible and hard to argue with voiding the warranty. Although I'd guess jag won't do it themselves so you'd need to find someone with the right equipment to remap it

Old 08-01-2016, 08:18 PM

That could be true but the first issue with the car that requires anything to do with the ECM would show. I know the Diablo tuners and others that you can DIY have a feature to dial back the original tune. I have had tuner vehicles (I used to race here in CA) and the dealer did not want to honor the warranty due to PROM and ECM changes. I simply went elsewhere and had the problem corrected as I cannot fault the dealer for that.

Old 08-01-2016, 11:00 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Magnumforc
And the end of the warranty it would seem?
Correct. Both modifications would technically void the warranty. EuroCharged sells a custom supercharger pulley, which is a destructive change (causing irreparable damage to the original pulley for removal).

Originally Posted by BritCars
If the parts are all physically the same that should be possible and hard to argue with voiding the warranty.
According to two online Jaguar parts catalogs, the supercharger components appear to be identical. Part numbers are all the same.

Prestige Supercharger

S-trim Supercharger

R/S-trim Supercharger

That could be true but the first issue with the car that requires anything to do with the ECM would show. I know the Diablo tuners and others that you can DIY have a feature to dial back the original tune.
This was exactly the "suggested workaround" I was told about when asking about keeping within warranty.

Old 08-01-2016, 11:15 PM

I agree the supercharger are all the same according to that catalog. I have some experience with supercharging, although with the positive pressure Paxton units rather than the twin lobe units. You can increase boost by overdriving the blower maybe 15 percent but then you need to be able to control the boost either mechanically or electronically. Jaguar does it electronically through the ECM. If you could measure the pulleys on the S and the other models, is there really a difference in diameter or is the additional HP strictly a result of tuning? Is the lower end strong enough to withstand over boost in the event it occurs? Once you exceed a certain boost, you over stress the lower end and that can result in failure.

Like you said, is it worth it? I guess in my world, trying to turn a 60k vehicle into a tuner car just doesn't make sense. I also wonder why someone would not opt for the S model and not have the grief.

Old 08-02-2016, 11:21 AM

Hey,

I just bought the exact same car. Do you get rattle noises coming from front pillars? Sorry don't mean to hijack the tread.

Old 08-02-2016, 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by JagXFP
Hey,

I just bought the exact same car. Do you get rattle noises coming from front pillars? Sorry don't mean to hijack the tread.
I had a rattle from the right lower passenger area and determined it was the louver insert in the fender. I decided to fix it myself with a tiny slice of rubber off an old shoe sole and pressed it into nthe crack of the louver until it was invisible. No more rattle.

That said at least one person here was plagued with rattles from the same area and I forwarded them the post from the F-Sport forum on speaker rattles. The dealer thought they would replace the louver and that did not solve her issues so she ended up having them tear the car apart as I recall.

Hope the louver fix solves your issue.

Old 08-02-2016, 08:32 PM

I didn't get the S because the power was negligible, but was just curious if it was a remapping. In addition the deal I got on my car was so good, I couldn't justify the premium for the S. As fas a rattles are concerned, a little from the driver's side pillar and I will be bringing it to the dealer this week. Other than that it's been flawless.

Old 08-02-2016, 10:41 PM

The more you drive it the more you will love it. I have had no issues other than the louvre which I fixed myself and a hood rattle on the passenger side. They did not adjust the hood bumpers correctly so it was just a case of me twisting it out a couple of turns and viola...no more rattle.

Enjoy the ride.

Old 08-03-2016, 12:46 PM

I had a rattle from the right lower passenger area and determined it was the louver insert in the fender. I decided to fix it myself with a tiny slice of rubber off an old shoe sole and pressed it into nthe crack of the louver until it was invisible. No more rattle.

That said at least one person here was plagued with rattles from the same area and I forwarded them the post from the F-Sport forum on speaker rattles. The dealer thought they would replace the louver and that did not solve her issues so she ended up having them tear the car apart as I recall.

Hope the louver fix solves your issue.
So you are talking about the fender vents? Thank you. I will try it.

Old 08-03-2016, 01:16 PM

Try and wiggle the vent and see if it rattles. If it does, it rattles every time you go over the slightest bump. The solution is simple.

Old 08-04-2016, 04:16 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

My car was in service for 24 of the first 44 days I first owned the car for a rattle. My car was completely taken apart (windshield removed, pillars removed, fender removed, runnning boards removed, head liner remover, you get the point). I thought the rattle was coming from the passenger floor board.

I was told that sound travels in the cabin and rattles are very hard to pinpoint. I had a service rep that wouldn't give up and finally found that the rattle was coming from the sunroof. It was actually where the sunroof is bonded to the car from the factory, it was warped. So when it got hot out I would get a rattle.

The body shop who my dealer works with had to find it and fix it. I got to tell you it was a pain in the butt but well worth it. My inside cabin is completely quiet now. Take a look at MellieR's thread titled "Car back from dealer today - FAIL" for my complete story.

Old 08-05-2016, 02:03 PM
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I have had my 2016 XF Rsport RWD for four weeks now and I love it. I was coming out of a 2011 XF Premium Portfolio and as much as I loved most things about that car, this one is much better, in terms of driving experience. So responsive feels way lighter than the official weight loss would leave to believe. Tighter turn radius and so much more agile. The only thing I hate is the autostart. I have gotten pretty good about remembering to turn it off when I get in the car.

Old 08-05-2016, 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by uab9253
The only thing I hate is the autostart. I have gotten pretty good about remembering to turn it off when I get in the car.
Me too. Most times I remember but when I don't it startles me and I think my engine stopped. LOL.

Old 08-09-2016, 02:45 PM

Interesting - I actually do notice that the rattle gets louder and more noticeable when it gets hotter outside. To me, it sounds like it's coming from the passenger's pillar.

Thank you for the info.

Originally Posted by yntski
My car was in service for 24 of the first 44 days I first owned the car for a rattle. My car was completely taken apart (windshield removed, pillars removed, fender removed, runnning boards removed, head liner remover, you get the point). I thought the rattle was coming from the passenger floor board.

I was told that sound travels in the cabin and rattles are very hard to pinpoint. I had a service rep that wouldn't give up and finally found that the rattle was coming from the sunroof. It was actually where the sunroof is bonded to the car from the factory, it was warped. So when it got hot out I would get a rattle.

The body shop who my dealer works with had to find it and fix it. I got to tell you it was a pain in the butt but well worth it. My inside cabin is completely quiet now. Take a look at MellieR's thread titled "Car back from dealer today - FAIL" for my complete story.

Old 08-09-2016, 03:24 PM

Good luck.