XF (X260) 2015 onwards

Paintwork problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2018, 02:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Paintwork problem

2017 Jaguar XF 3.0 diesel. On TOP of the bonnet the gloss paint has come off in a wierd shape about 3inches by 2inches. Can a stone lift off paint in such a way? I cannot recollect such an incident.
It feels like a fault (under warranty) but I am told this is "an exterior event".
I cannot ever recall ( after 6 jaguars over 22 years) paint coming off in this way.

Old 08-12-2018, 09:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 334 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by XF FAN
.... I am told this is "an exterior event".....
Ask them how they know that. If it is an "exterior event" they shouldn't be held accountable. But unless they can prove it I would demand satisfaction under warranty.

Old 08-12-2018, 09:36 PM
Received 59 Likes on 42 Posts

Don't know how an "event", other than someone pouring chemicals on it, could cause that kind of thing. Every other instance I've seen of paint coming off that soon was covered by the manufacturer.

You may also want to contact your insurance since if they really insist it was a random event, then it would be covered under your comprehensive policy.

Old 08-13-2018, 02:58 AM
GGG
Received 16,789 Likes on 12,163 Posts

Welcome to the forum XF FAN,

Is this the clearcoat failed leaving the matt colour exposed? If so that can be a defect in preparation, materials or application during manufacture. However, owing to the rigorous quality control and automated processes used for body protection and painting, this would almost certainly affect other panels on your vehicle and probably a batch of vehicles. The more usual causes are the result of some chemical, abrasion or very excessive heat action. The damage should be recorded with time stamped photographs so there is a time line established in the event it worsens.

The JLR Paint Warrranty on UK vehicles applies for 3 years from the date the vehicle was put into service and cover defects in material or application. The exclusions are:
  1. failure to maintain paint and bodywork by regular cleaning in accordance with JLR recommendations.
  2. factors that are beyond the control of JLR, such as; environmental hazards including salt, industrial fall out, storm damage, acid rain, bird droppings and also damage including stone chips, scratches and use of unsuitable cleaning agents.
  3. accident repairs using materials or methods or methods of repair that have not been approved by JLR.
  4. alterations to the vehicle from JLR's original specification.
It appears your dealer is rejecting warranty claim under (1) or (2) by describing the damage as "an exterior event" which is somewhat vague. The warranty conditions are specific and you should ask the dealer for the precise reason for the rejection in writing. At the same time, request an estimate for rectification. If the dealer is rejecting the claim, the next step is JLR Customer Relations Centre at Coventry. An independent inspection by a consulting engineer will be necessary either to support or refute JLR's position.

Repainting a bonnet is neither complex or costly. The outcome is likely to depend on your determination but a difference of opinion should never degenerate into antagonism. A pragmatic dealer principal could well offer a "contribution" to the cost of rectification to mainrtain your goodwill and possible future custom.

Please follow this link New Member Area - Intro a MUST - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum to the New Member Area - Intro a MUST forum and post some information about yourself and your vehicle for all members to see. In return you'll get a proper welcome and some useful advice about posting to the forum.

Graham

Old 08-13-2018, 10:37 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default paintwork problems

Thanks for replies/advice so far. I have written to Jaguar customer services - no reply as yet. I have advised my insurance company and they will accept a claim but it will (obviously) affect my premium. The estimate from Dealer to respray the bonnet is £900. Seems a lot. I have now discovered another, smaller, defect at the bottom of the front offside headlight. This being in the front of the car I can understand a stone chipping hitting - my real point is that this is my third XF and there have been stone chips before which merely leave a small mark, but these are the top "coat" peeling away leaving the matt undercoat. This has never happened before. Am I right in saying that this latest model is aluminium - and could that be a factor?

Old 08-13-2018, 12:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 334 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by XF FAN
....but these are the top "coat" peeling away leaving the matt undercoat...... this latest model is aluminium - and could that be a factor?....
Clear coat peeling away is definitely a defect in preparation or application ..... unless a caustic chemical came in contact that only affected the clear coat at a localized spot. Be prepared to experience more of same if it was preparation or application. Any signs of a repaint anywhere? Paint adheres to the undercoat and it shouldn't make a difference if it's aluminum. If it peeled down to the bare metal that would be different. Price you've been quoted seems too much to me. Here your insurance doesn't go up unless you are at fault. What good is insurance if you pay to be protected and then pay again (over time) for a repair due to no fault of yours? My wife has had multiple pay outs (6?) for accidents and whole car theft, none were her fault, and none of them affected the insurance premium.

Old 08-14-2018, 03:40 AM
jbn
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I have what sounds to be similar damage to you in two places, one on the bonnet and one on the front bumper. Dealer confirmed it is a warranty matter and it is now just a question of waiting for holidays to pass until we get the car booked in. There is categorically no damage to the area from stones or other foreign bodies and there was no hesitation by the dealer to acknowledge it. Since I am in Switzerland this may not be much solace to you...