XF (X260) 2015 onwards

Serious Engine/ computer Issue with my 2016 XF!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2018, 02:05 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Serious Engine/ computer Issue with my 2016 XF!!

On two separate occasions my 2016 Jaguar XF Prestige AWD has shutdown suddenly. Both times the car was in drive but at a stop. once while dropping off my kids at school and again today while waiting at a stoplight The car will suddenly perform its shutdown sequence (shifter retracts, vents rotate closed, car turns off) and then refuse to restart. No errors or warning lights. All the electronics will turn on once I press the start button and hold down the brake but the engine will not start nor will the shifter rise out of the console leaving me stranded in the middle of the road. both times the car had at least 1/2 tank of gas. both times required a tow on a flatbed to the dealer. The first time 17 days ago the dealer could not restart the car so they did an update to the ccf, got the car restarted and after test driving could not duplicate the issue. They also stated that there were no error codes. a complete mystery. 600 miles later the car did it again. It is at the dealer now, they got it started again but can't duplicate the issue. This time they are keeping it a few days for an extended test drive and systems test. Has anyone experienced this? I am very concerned. Luckily the car was in drive but not moving for these two incidents. it has the potential to be a complete disaster if it happens at speed. any thoughts?
The Car only has 17k miles on it and I just purchased it less than 2 mos ago as a CPO vehicle. Factory warranty still applies and has no history of trouble.

Old 04-18-2018, 10:20 AM
Veteran Member
Received 335 Likes on 243 Posts

I follow several X260 forums and this is the first I've heard of this problem. Actually there are very few serious problems reported period. On a X250 forum I can remember someone having a similar symptom fixed with the replacement of a power distribution/fuse box. You are heading into lemon law territory with the seriousness of the problem so become acquainted with it and mention ..... don't threaten .... it to the service advisor.

The following users liked this post:
mtores1 (04-19-2018)
Old 04-18-2018, 06:56 PM
Received 59 Likes on 42 Posts

I did have something similar with my 2016 XF Prestige AWD, but I'm not 100% sure it is the same.

Last summer I had the car die 3 times in 2 months, the car was less than a year old and only had a few thousand miles on it, so I wasn't real happy about it. In my case, two of the times the engine cut out while I was moving and wouldn't restart. The 3rd time it just wouldn't start at all after it had been parked a few hours.

There was never any error codes stored. The first two times it happened, by the next day when the dealer look at it after it was towed in, they couldn't find a problem and it seemed fine. The third time it was still dead when they look at it and were able to find the cause.

In my case the cause was the cable between the computer and the fuel pump. The ground attachment for the cable was not attached properly and had been damaged (had to had happened at the factory), causing the fuel pump to cut off when the signal was bad. Replacing that cable and installing properly fixed the problem, no further issue since this was done last July. So you may want to have them check this cable since, if it can happen once at the factory, it could happen more than once.

Because it only happened to you while you were stopped is the reason I'm not 100% its the same cause. In your case it could be something caused by the auto start/stop feature (which I hate and always turn off). If you had auto start/stop turned off when this happened to you, then you can rule that out.

The following 2 users liked this post by Jay_Davis:
mtores1 (04-19-2018), Norri (04-19-2018)
Old 04-19-2018, 12:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 335 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay_Davis
.. it could be something caused by the auto start/stop feature ....
OP says car acts like it's being turned off .... vents rotate and shifter retracts. That stuff doesn't happen in Start/Stop mode. It sounds more like it's losing all power but then the vents and shifter would stay as is. Give the service advisor as much specific information as you can. Take a picture for proof because this falls into "no error codes and we couldn't make it happen" territory.

Old 04-19-2018, 07:26 PM
Received 59 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by mleskovar
OP says car acts like it's being turned off .... vents rotate and shifter retracts. That stuff doesn't happen in Start/Stop mode. It sounds more like it's losing all power but then the vents and shifter would stay as is. Give the service advisor as much specific information as you can. Take a picture for proof because this falls into "no error codes and we couldn't make it happen" territory.
I was think some kind of problem that only occurs when the engine is shut off and it tries to restart. A battery/electrical problem that causes it to shut down instead of restarting. Just guessing at possibilities. Certainly would check that cable to the fuel pump.

I have found that without anything in the car logs and no ability to troubleshoot a problem as its happening, unless its a common problem they are not going to have any chance of finding it.