XF (X260) 2015 onwards

Sound from car when shuts off

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2016, 11:57 AM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Sound from car when shuts off

Ok, engine is off. I heard what I would describe as the "whine" for 15 minutes after turning off the engine (I timed it). I am assuming this the the computer system (ICTP or whatever) and that it goes to "sleep" mode after the 15 minutes.

Is this normal? If so, what is the reason?

Old 06-08-2016, 08:09 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by yntski
Ok, engine is off. I heard what I would describe as the "whine" for 15 minutes after turning off the engine (I timed it). I am assuming this the the computer system (ICTP or whatever) and that it goes to "sleep" mode after the 15 minutes.

I understand it is several small fans running to cool the LEDS in the headlights. You may also hear this sound if you simply open a door even without starting the vehicle. My car makes the same noise (I have the full LED headlights).

Old 06-08-2016, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by Thomas Stires
I understand it is several small fans running to cool the LEDS in the headlights. You may also hear this sound if you simply open a door even without starting the vehicle. My car makes the same noise (I have the full LED headlights).
Yes, it happens even if I open the door. Like I am taking the car out of "sleep" mode.

Old 06-08-2016, 11:50 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes, it is "normal" per my Jag Dealer Service folks.

The following users liked this post:
yntski (06-08-2016)
Old 06-09-2016, 12:26 PM
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Only sound I hear is the vents opening for the 4 zone climate control. And that is onnly after the ignition is on or off. Only about 3 seconds worth. I do have the LED headlights but never hear a sound from that area.

Old 06-13-2016, 11:13 AM

I took the car to the dealer and of course we couldn't hear anything as the shop is very noisy and we even took it upstairs to where the cars are stored and still couldn't hear it.

I can hear it when it is parked in my garage as it is very quiet in the garage at home and I was able to pin point the sound coming from both head lamps area.

Bend down and put your ear to the head lamps area in a quite enviroment and see if you can hear a sound after turning off the car. It does stop after 15 minutes. It even happens when you just open the door.

Old 06-13-2016, 04:26 PM

Just came back from a drive and nothing, zip, nada a sound from the vehicle. Does yours only do it at night? I haven't heard it but I don't drive long distance at night usually. Although when it actually rained, I had the headlights on and still can't remember a sound. And my hearing threshold is very accute..when I investigated a robbery at a chain store I made them turn off the ultrasonic burglar alarm as it was driving me nuts! And no, I don't answer to the dog whistle..LOL!

Old 06-13-2016, 08:24 PM

I just checked. It happens when I even open my car door. It has nothing to do with the head lights being on or off. The sound is near each head lamp though. You go to the center of the grill and there is no sound. Like a whinning or a motor sound. I don't have my key on me nor I have I started the engine. This is starting to freak me out.

Old 06-14-2016, 09:48 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've been getting the same sort of sound but not all the time. My dealer said its normal. It did it yesterday but not today. Its much colder today so maybe it is the fans.

Old 06-14-2016, 05:36 PM

I was told it was normal.

Old 06-18-2016, 12:34 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've come to expect all sorts of sounds after shut off from this car now.

I have the one in the enginer bay/headlights but also what sounds like a rear diff cooler/pump that runs for a few minutes after parking the car. Only does it after some quick driving and you can feel the heat coming out of the rear wheel/wheel arch on the drivers side.

Old 06-19-2016, 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by steves1101
I've been getting the same sort of sound but not all the time. My dealer said its normal. It did it yesterday but not today. Its much colder today so maybe it is the fans.
I believe you are correct! Today is the first very warm day here in the San Diego area and when I returned. The sound is certainly coming from each headlight. Also noted the lenses over the DRL's are warm so it looks like it is the LED cooling fans and only on when needed by temperature conditions. Would believe the fans also might come on with extended nighttime driving in anything but bitter cold weather.

Last edited by Magnumforc; 06-19-2016 at 07:16 PM.
Old 06-25-2016, 02:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hilarious! I just drove my new xf r sport home from Toronto - and yes, an electrical hum/fan noise....I just phoned the dealer in a panic! Should have checked here first!

Old 06-25-2016, 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by austaz
I've come to expect all sorts of sounds after shut off from this car now.

I have the one in the enginer bay/headlights but also what sounds like a rear diff cooler/pump that runs for a few minutes after parking the car. Only does it after some quick driving and you can feel the heat coming out of the rear wheel/wheel arch on the drivers side.
Wonder if this is from the traction control and/or ABS system? When you drive some vehicles hard, the traction control system works to reduce power on one or both rear wheels to avoid skidding or spinning. It also will apply the brakes to individual wheels as needed to achieve the same effect.

Could be the fuel pump as well. It is located in the fuel tank and the cutoff point requires a specific pressure to be built up for it to shut down. I had a vehicle that the fuel pump would buzz and I thought I was losing fuel but never found the leak. Turned out to be the accumulator that keeps the engine from starving for fuel if the pump cannot keep up; the accumulator was not getting enough fuel from the pump so the pump ran extra. Ended up putting in a racing pump after awhile. I don't know if the Jag has an accumulator but would guess there is one in line somewhere. Not unlike the old "vacuum can" in the old cars when they had vacuum wipers; the can held a bit of vacuum so when you stepped on the gas the wipers didn't stop.

Just a few guesses.

Old 06-30-2016, 03:23 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good guesses but the noise from the rear wheel wells is after the car is completly shut off and locked so not active traction control or a fuel pump.

Old 07-12-2016, 02:49 PM
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I just want to say that if I hadn't read this thread before I got my new XF, I would have totally called the dealer. I have the LED headlights and yes, these are cooling fans.

So thanks to all who post here!

Old 10-22-2023, 12:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by yntski

It’s normal, mine has always done it. Problem I am having is that it won’t STOP and it’s killing my battery

Old 10-22-2023, 03:12 PM
Received 206 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by TylerD
It’s normal, mine has always done it. Problem I am having is that it won’t STOP and it’s killing my battery
This thread is seven years old. Might be worth starting a new thread considering you have a completely different issue