XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Turn Signal/All Rear Lights Problem. Help please!!!

Old 04-14-2016, 11:27 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Turn Signal/All Rear Lights Problem. Help please!!!

When I got into my 2004 VP this afternoon, there was no power to the drivers seat from the memory. I tried using the seat controls, but still didn't work. When I was leaving, I attempted to use the right turn signal, but the signal began clicking rapidly, with a message saying the I have a lamp failure. I attempted then to use the left signal. Same thing.

I then checked to see if I had any operational lights at the rear. NONE of them come on, including the brake light above the rear window.

Does anyone know what my issue might be? All the lights in the rear of the car stopped working, as did the power to the drivers seat.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!!!

As a side note, all of the windows, and the power mirrors work. The front passenger seat does have power. All the lights up front work.

Last edited by jaguarVP96; 04-14-2016 at 11:31 PM.
Old 04-15-2016, 10:17 AM
Received 96 Likes on 84 Posts

Have you checked the earth grounds inside the trunk?

Old 04-16-2016, 01:06 PM

Ground is fine. I took the cover off the fuse box in the trunk. There was some condensation in it. Also, there is some light rust on the edges of the board contained in that fuse box. Looking at the fuse location diagram, the items that I'm having problems with are all contained within that fuse box.

I ordered up a fuse box. I'll see if switching it out makes any difference. Condensation and rust in my current one is probably the reason I'm having this issue. The trunk had leaked until I fixed it several months ago. It's been dry as a bone ever since. However, I should have checked that fuse box when I replaced the trunk weather stripping.

Another problem I have going on has been present ever since I bought this car last May. Upon startup, there's a noise coming from the engine compartment. It's like an electrical static noise but it's intermediate. It stops after the car is warmed up. I've looked numerous times trying to find out what it is, but so far, I can't find it.

Last week when the car turned 44,800 miles the check engine light came on. P1173. I cleaned the MAF, cleared the code, but it came back on a short time later. I then replaced the MAF, didn't clear the code, and the check engine light is now off.

Last edited by jaguarVP96; 04-16-2016 at 01:13 PM.
Old 04-20-2016, 04:45 PM

The new replacement fuse box cured all the problems thus far. I noticed the old one was also a replacement from 2006. Received it this morning around 10:00am, and it roared back to life at around 12.

Also upon startup, that annoying noise in the engine compartment was gone. I hope it stays that way.

All the rear lights, drivers seat, and the squeaky front drivers door speaker is all operating correctly. It wasn't a bad install, but there was water present on the connectors, and some of the old connector pins were broken off. Cleaned everything with electrical cleaner and a toothbrush. Easy peasy.

Old 04-20-2016, 09:50 PM
Received 12,696 Likes on 6,364 Posts

Hi jaguarVP96,

Good work on your fuse box diagnosis. The documents at the following links may be helpful in the future. The Electrical Guide contains all the schematics for the vehicle, including component locations, ground point locations, connector locations, etc. The Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTC) Summaries manual explains all the the trouble codes and can often save you the cost of a new part when the cause is actually something like corrosion on a connector or ground, a short, chafed insulation on a wire, etc. I don't see P1173 listed in the manual - are you sure that's the MAF-related code you had?

2004 XJ Electrical Guide:
http://www.jagrepair.com/images/Elec...al%20Guide.pdf

2004 XJ DTC Summaries Manual, full version:
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...03388427,d.cWw

Cheers,

Don

Old 04-20-2016, 11:01 PM

Thanks for those links Don!

My mistake. It was code P0171. I had attempted to fix the issue by removing the MAF and cleaning it, but after clearing the code, the check engine light came back on. I checked for vacuum leaks but didn't find any, so I ordered a new MAF. That solved the problem, and the light went off on it's own. However, after that had happened, I had the issue with the electrical.

When I began to actually install the new fuse box, it only took about fifteen minutes, if that. I just had some cleaning up to do with the connectors, etc.

The issues have been fairly minor since purchasing it a year ago. The day after I brought it home, I replaced the expansion tank to be on the safe side.

The only problem I have now is with the Navigation module. It went out about a month ago, and I'll get to that fairly soon. Unfortunately, my car didn't come with the disk, so I'll have to get one of those too. It's in emergency mode where the defroster comes on. Next I'll tackle some preventative maintenance items, and perhaps the air to spring conversion in the near future.

Old 04-22-2016, 02:21 AM
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

This fusebox fault seems to be coming up quite a lot lately! Glad you got to the bottom of it, had to replace mine about 6 months ago also for similar issues