XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

New XF > Press JaguarVoice Button > Nothing

Old 03-17-2011, 08:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy New XF > Press JaguarVoice Button > Nothing

Picked up a new XF last night. Pressing the JaguarVoice button on the steering wheel does nothing. Actually, it does mute the radio, but nothing after that. No voice prompt, and it won't respond to any commands.

The dealership last night was a bit disorganized, and the guy going over all the features noticed it wasn't working, and couldn't figure out why. But then again, he also said the fog lights weren't working (he was looking for them in the front), and also told me there was no trunk release inside the car (wrong!).

I plan to return to the dealer in a few days to see if they can figure it out or fixe it.

But I thought I'd check here.

Thanks,
JB Haber - Art & Photogrpahy

Old 03-18-2011, 09:33 AM
Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

Other 2011 owners are reporting that JaguarVoice has been disabled by Jag due to problems

Old 03-18-2011, 02:54 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I took my 2011 XF to the dealer last Tuesday for an upgrade to the Navigation System.. When I got the car back the Jaguar Voice had been disabled. Very disappointing on an almost $60,000 car.

Old 03-22-2011, 10:59 PM
Received 969 Likes on 642 Posts

Here is a little excerpt of a communication to dealers regarding voice on the 2011 XF:

A broad spectrum of actions are currently being reviewed and finalized across all car lines
and you will be receiving a further communication regarding the comprehensive set of
measures that will be implemented with urgency to ensure the vehicles retailed over the
coming months have the highest possible quality standards.
One specific area that the IQS survey identified as being 'difficult to use' for XF was Jaguar
VoiceControl™. The Company has therefore taken the decision to deactivate VoiceControl™
on all 2011MY XF with immediate effect, starting with VIN R95245.
On vehicles that no longer have VoiceControl™ activated, the steering wheel mounted
button will mute the audio volume, similar to the current XK functionality.

Thank you JD Power!

Cheers,

Old 03-23-2011, 03:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,483 Likes on 3,901 Posts

Actually disabling something like this without first asking the owner (giving reasons) and checking they're OK about it is not JD Power's fault. It's a really dumb decision by Jaguar. How to alienate your customers. Crazy. BMW et al must be so amused and happy.

(Not having a go at you, Steve, just to be clear.)

Old 03-23-2011, 05:41 AM

Well, I said that because the decision was made because of the hammering Jaguar took in the JD Power IQS, Initial Quality Survey. A few cry babies called the voice "difficult to use", and so much weight is given to the darned JD Power, that they felt they had to take it away for all.
I just think JD Power rules the industry way too much, in my opinion.

Cheers,

Old 03-23-2011, 11:03 AM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Two Questions -
1. Can you tell the dealer not to deactivate the voice control when bringing the car in for service and will they comply with your request.

2. If the dealer deactivates can you make them reactivate the system.

While the voice control system is not perfect and could use some additional features for controlling the navigation system and climate control systems, I think the voice command works fine for me and I do find it convenient and useful and would absolutely not want it turned off (or the shift paddle functionality in drive).

Wow - I am I glad this forum exists - would be tough to get this kind of info anywhere else!!!

Thanks

Old 03-23-2011, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by nsl1
Two Questions -
1. Can you tell the dealer not to deactivate the voice control when bringing the car in for service and will they comply with your request.

2. If the dealer deactivates can you make them reactivate the system.

While the voice control system is not perfect and could use some additional features for controlling the navigation system and climate control systems, I think the voice command works fine for me and I do find it convenient and useful and would absolutely not want it turned off (or the shift paddle functionality in drive).

Wow - I am I glad this forum exists - would be tough to get this kind of info anywhere else!!!

Thanks
1. As it stands right now, the ability to add AND delete the voice functionality is available. It is not impossible that they might take that away from us at some point.

2. I suppose it depends on the dealer staff whether they will leave it/put it the way the owner wants it. Personally, I will do whatever they want, it's their car in my book.

Amen to the forum..... I don't care who you are or what you know, somewhere there is someone who will show you a thing or two!!

Cheers,

Old 03-23-2011, 12:45 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

very informative post.

Old 03-23-2011, 10:21 PM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I don't have a dog in the fight. I've got an 05 S-type with JaguarVoice so this message thread caught my eye.

It seems to me that Jaguar is very susceptable to a class action lawsuit. You bought the car with that feature. Jaguar has taken the feature away from you after you bought the car. Since the feature has a dollar value, Jaguar is liable for your loss. jaguar could have left the system engaged and worked to issue a running upgrade to resolve the problems.

For that matter, the Jaguar dealers who de-activate it would be liable too I should think since they have "damaged" your car.

Old 03-24-2011, 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by Toller
I don't have a dog in the fight. I've got an 05 S-type with JaguarVoice so this message thread caught my eye.

It seems to me that Jaguar is very susceptable to a class action lawsuit. You bought the car with that feature. Jaguar has taken the feature away from you after you bought the car. Since the feature has a dollar value, Jaguar is liable for your loss. jaguar could have left the system engaged and worked to issue a running upgrade to resolve the problems.

For that matter, the Jaguar dealers who de-activate it would be liable too I should think since they have "damaged" your car.
I just cannot grasp why, lawyers and lawsuits is the first, best response so many people have to anything that involves a car dealer. Grow up! How about a simple first suggestion like, go back and ask the dealer if that was done by mistake??

Ok, I said my piece.

I went over all the info I could find on the Voice functionality deletion, and it appears that the only cars the dealers were to disable were UNSOLD vehicles prior to Feb. 28, 2011. Jaguar made the deletion in production at VIN# R95245, some unsold cars were to have it done, but as yet nothing has been published about cars in owner hands. If you had the Voice function and it has been disabled, I would suggest going back to the dealer and requesting it be restored.
edit:
I missed a line in the documentation, some vehicles in owner hands were listed to be modified at the earliest opportunity BEFORE Feb. 28, 2011. So it is possible some folks have had that change made after they purchased the car. My apologies.

At some point I'm sure the software/hardware in the cars will have it deleted entirely so it isn't even possible for voice functions to be activated, but until then, it's probably possible to have it turned on in cars beyond the R95245 cut-off.

Cheers,

Last edited by xjrguy; 03-24-2011 at 11:52 AM. Reason: corrected information
Old 03-24-2011, 11:24 AM

When I called to reschedule the Nav upgarde, I told the service writer that Jaguar Voice had been disabled and that I wanted it turned back on. He was totally unaware of any change that would disable it. I'm taking the car back to them on Tuesday morning. My car was purchased in December so it should not have been part of the service bulletin. My VIN ends in 90537.

I do have another customer satisfaction survey sitting at home. Maybe I should gig them for turning it off.

Old 03-24-2011, 05:44 PM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Steve-

There was nothing that I read in the thread that indicated that Jaguar was working diligently to resolve the problem. I meant my comment only to provide a means of encouraging progress.

Old 03-24-2011, 08:25 PM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Since it was crap to begin with I don't really see what all the fuss is about. Mine's never worked properly from Day 1. The navigation is also out of the "Find your way to Stonehenge" school of navigation software. I used to use a Garmin portable unit to navigate in the beginning, but these days the best and easiest solution is use your iPhone with voice control and an app for navigation. The dealer can't mess with that!

Old 03-25-2011, 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by Toller
Steve-

There was nothing that I read in the thread that indicated that Jaguar was working diligently to resolve the problem. I meant my comment only to provide a means of encouraging progress.
Point taken, and I understand the thought; I just don't think threats are the way to go.

Meanwhile, I'll try and pose that question [are they working on it?] and see what response I get.

And I'll pass along also that today, Jaguar published that the modifications/updates in question are optional, based on the preferences of the owner! Finally, a smart move. Dealers are to make the updates available until April 30, 2011.

I guess, pass the word.

Cheers,

Old 03-29-2011, 03:40 PM

I took my 2011 XF to the dealer this morning and asked them to re-activate the Jaguar Voice. After several calls to Jaguar Tech support they were able to identify the code that turned it off and replace it. It now works as purchased.

apparently, Jaguar has sent a notice to their dealers regarding this. The dealers will continue to disable it on in stock cars, but on customer cars. If a customer asks they will re-activate it.

Old 04-01-2011, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by xjrguy

Meanwhile, I'll try and pose that question [are they working on it?] and see what response I get.

And I'll pass along also that today, Jaguar published that the modifications/updates in question are optional, based on the preferences of the owner! Finally, a smart move. Dealers are to make the updates available until April 30, 2011.
Well, the answer I got was.......

Jaguar will grudgingly reactivate the Voice at an owners request, with the understanding that they will not address any dislikes or functionality issues the owner might have with the feature.
On pushing for and answer about working on it, or reintroducing the feature at some point, the response was: "as the Buddha would say, it's unknown isn't it........"

There you have it.

Cheers,

Old 05-04-2011, 10:53 AM

For what it's worth, I noted that Interactive Voice will be reintroduced to the XF for 2012. If interested, see the product brief in the thread linked below. Still no word about any attention to the deleted Voice in 2011's.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...57/#post345484

Cheers,

Old 05-07-2011, 11:18 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Jaguar Voice deactivated by Jaguar

Thanks again Jaguar Forum members for the infromation. I just got my new 2011 XF Premium but noticed the Voice control wasn't working. Well, after research and the forum commentaries it was confirmed Jaguar has in fact deactivated Voice control on the recent unsold productions. They're expecting to reintroduce the feature fully for 2012 and are changing brochures and marketing by eliminating references to Voice control and even on window stickers for 2011 production. However, if the customer requests activation thru Jaguar the dealership will be authorized to activate your voice control. I requested activation and they accommodated the same day. I setup the appt. and I'm now activated. It works fine. It's not perfect but a nice feature to have. They expect to upgrade the voice system software next yr and that will be made available as well. It may not be of interest to all owners but I think the customer should be able to decide and Jaguar ultimately agreed.

Old 05-09-2011, 10:40 AM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Thumbs up Jaguar Voice Command

Mine works perfectly fine on my 2011 XF Premium, if you speak distinctly and know the prompts, especially the beep!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New XF > Press JaguarVoice Button > Nothing