XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

2009 XF Supercharged Trans cooler line install

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2019, 08:16 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2009 XF Supercharged Trans cooler line install

I'm considering attempting the transmission cooler line install on my own. I have access to a lift, I already have brand new OEM Jaguar trans cooler lines. I just don't know how to do it. I recently removed the front bumper and did the coolant hose swap so I'm confident I can tackle this job. I just don't want to dive in without any tips on if there is a certain way to separate the line from the transmission or if it is simply unscrew and pull out? Will fluid come gushing out? Should I be draining the trans fluid first before I do it?

Any tips, thoughts or sarcasm are welcome

Edit: I plan on doing a video of this in case anyone in the future wants to tackle this on their own too. I already did an entire how to video with the main coolant lines I plan on posting soon so people have access to that info if they want to tackle the coolant hose job themselves complete with part numbers etc. so any help would be greatly appreciated. My thought is so many people have gone to youtube and posted videos that absolutely saved my a$$ and saved me money. I'm attempting to give back by doing these installs on such a difficult car that has very little help in terms of Video how to's.

Last edited by High Mileage Jaguar; 01-17-2019 at 08:19 PM.
Old 01-18-2019, 09:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 314 Likes on 241 Posts

If you haven't replaced the fluid in the transmission, it would be a good idea to do it while you're in there.

You will get some fluid loss when removing the lines to the cooler, but not a gusher.

I just changed the fluid and filter on my 2014 Range Rover Sport, and it was great because the same trans cooler was very accessible so that I could pull the feed line and bleed the transmission fluid through the line to make sure all the old stuff came out. I filled the pan, started the engine until 1 quart bleed out, then added a quart to the pan and did it again. Much better than just draining and refilling the pan, which means over half the old fluid is not removed and is mixed with the new stuff.

On my 2011 XFs, the cooler is very hard to get at to remove the lines to the cooler unfortunately. I will try to get them off though next time I do the fluid change.

The following users liked this post:
High Mileage Jaguar (01-21-2019)
Old 01-21-2019, 11:09 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So I did it and didn't bother doing the video because it is literally impossible to do for a DIY. Essentially you need to drop the entire engine just to get the lines in and out. I would urge if anyone attempts to tackle this job in the future you have custom steel braided flexible lines made. I assure you there is no possible way to get these in without dropping the engine. All those years of mastering Tetris and I still couldn't get it lol. Flex lines would make this a breeze! With flex lines I would have had the whole job done in an hour and a half. Instead it took only about 12 hours.

At least they are in now and the leak is gone.

As always a few tips on this website helped a lot especially with the fill procedure.

Old 01-23-2019, 11:02 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,230 Likes on 1,762 Posts

The pan should be changed so you get a new filter. Especially with high mileage.
You also need to check the fluid level properly and not assume what's in there is correct.

Do you know how? It's a bit tricky.
Plus you have the ZF 6 speed which has a well known failure of the sealing sleeve. This is only a $15 part BUT can't be changed without dropping the pan. This is a VERY common leak. Do you have any fluid on the pan or back end of the transmission?