XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

2010 XFR at Laguna Seca - should I or shouldn't I ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2017, 08:50 PM
Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

I have taken my street cars to the track for years - don't be put off by those who say "never!" - just be aware that there are some important considerations and reality checks, as follows:

Don't expect to be able to rag on a street car without paying dearly for consumables i.e. brakes and tires. And never make the mistake of trying to drive 10/10 - it's too risky, the cars are not meant to take it, and presumably you will be at a day for fun and learning, not an event for racing or competitive timing. And even if you dial it back a few notches, you should still ask yourself whether you are ready to damage or wreck your car. Oh and by the way, are you planning on paying for specialized track insurance or are you really prepared to walk away from a bad off?

I'll also be clear in saying that the XFR is NOT the car you want to take on track if you have relatively little track experience. It is very heavy, and the above comment that it is "somewhat set up for hard driving" really only applies to the street IMO, and even that is a bit of an overstatement when comparing to class equivalents like the M5. This is a car that would be quite easy to get into trouble with on a track: it is very powerful and will build up a lot of speed on the straights, but requires a lot of braking and will be a big challenge to get around corners in a fast and tidy manner, tending towards terminal understeer in most situations but transitioning to snap oversteer with very little provocation from weight transfer or throttle application.

Drive within your abilities, put away any thoughts of 'red mist', treat the car with some mechanical sympathy, give it plenty of cool down time in between hot laps, and enjoy! The track is really the only place to experience the full performance of a car like the XFR in this day and age - you'd have to be nuts and pretty irresponsible to say you could do that on the street.

Last edited by sybarite; 07-20-2017 at 08:54 PM.
The following users liked this post:
2010XFR (07-27-2017)
Old 07-27-2017, 04:18 PM
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Update - Laguna Seca

Well I did it and very glad I did. Car performed great and no Miata's passed me. However, one thing did cut my day short and it was my aftermarket brakes, that I thought were an upgrade over OEM. they were not. I had installed R1 slotted and drilled rotors and EBC Red Ceramic pads. At the time primarily for looks and less dust. I thought they would be fine, they were not. During third run felt significant vibration when applying breaks. Instructor happened to be in my car, who is a service technician at BMW, so somewhat knowledgeable. Anyway decided not to push it and ended after 2 1/2 sessions. Driving back home no issues, although they do not seem to stop as quickly. I may have them checked out. With these heavy cars, brakes take a beating and a bit disappointed at my "upgraded" brakes. I drove at the R academy back in 2012 and the stock brakes performed flawlessly all day long, with no fade or issue whatsoever.

Anyway very happy I did it. Had an M5 in my group, also a first timer, and was leaving him behind in my last run before brakes gave out. BTW - his day ended early as well, he got one wheel off the course and when coming back on nicked the sidewall and began to leak. No doubt cars take a beating but what other chance do you have to run these cars full out. Great fun, would highly recommend the experience. Thanks everyone for your input and counsel. Very much appreciated.

Famous Corkscrew at LS

Bigg Will (07-28-2017)
Old 07-28-2017, 07:03 AM
Received 141 Likes on 106 Posts

Thanks for sharing your experience! Love the pictures and sounds like a wonderful experience. Curious what the day costs (not including new brakes )

Old 07-28-2017, 09:08 AM
Veteran Member
Received 594 Likes on 422 Posts

Glad your day went well. Using up the brakes in such heavy car would be quite expected on a course, such as Laguna Seca, where repeated braking from high speeds (Turn 2) , as well as from a fast downhill approach (Turn 11) will certainly place a heavy demand on them.

How were the ambient temperatures during the day? Were you running the Jaguar recommended 5-20W oil in the engine?

Old 07-28-2017, 10:12 AM

Costs were $310, which included $50 for beginner/instructor level. Higher levels only paid $260 and that is for a full day of driving. Re temps, ambient temp outside about 73F, ran standard synthetic 5w - 20w. Engine ran flawlessly. No doubt I was probably on the brakes more than I should. Was not really using paddle shifters yet as was focusing on learning the course and the proper lines. But yes, heavy car, with a lot of elevation changes so very much a challenge for the brakes. The M5 and I were likely the heaviest cars out there for sure. Rode with a few miatas after my car was done and completely difft. experience, they can literally attack the corners. All in all I can see why this is a bit addicting. Very fun and definite adrenalin rush.

Last edited by 2010XFR; 07-28-2017 at 10:19 AM.
axr6 (07-29-2017)
Old 08-01-2017, 09:05 AM
Veteran Member
Received 203 Likes on 156 Posts

Here is another XFR owner noting that those red pads should not be used on the track: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...88/#post610391

Old 08-01-2017, 10:51 AM

Yep, would have to concur with that. However, I think it was my rotors which did not stand up. I think with the extreme heat they warped a bit and when cooled down they thankfully returned to original. Sad because these were the top of the line slotted and drilled hardened rotors from R1 Concepts.