XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

2010 XFR vs 2013 XFR Speed Pack

Old 05-18-2013, 09:00 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2010 XFR vs 2013 XFR Speed Pack

Hello Gents. Thought I would share my review of these two cars since I just upgraded to the new 2013 XFR with Speed Pack from my 2010 XFR.

First Kudo's to Bobby Rahal Jag for selling me the car and delivering it free of charge to Indy when my local dealer (Tom Wood) wouldn't even do the courtesy of calling me back despite talking to everyone in the store that I wanted a new car for two weeks! .

Intial impressions:

Speed Pack: Yeah its over priced. I dont care. I will never hit 177MPH but the look is clearly more impressive. The rear spoiler is a head turner and even increases the usual BMW, Audi and Mecedes car envy.

Red/black leather: Great option, especially with the speed pack. This is a racing car.

Meridian Audio: OK. Huge audiophile here. Never did I think someone could move me off the "B&W is the best car system ever" statement. I was in LOVE with my 2010 stereo. No longer. Meridian Sound: Kudos to you. This is a great system that is moldable to your audio taste. The upgraded interface allows excellent control overall. Bluetooth still seems a bit sketchy with its links but maybe that's AT&T. Awesome lows, and highs. I am a believer.

Transmission: Uh, did the 2010 even have a transmission? This 2013 transmission is smooth and down right scary when you jack it.

Interface: Well, its alot better but it's still cumbersome. I think this is a matter of individual preference overall but it could be more intuitive AND faster. Still, its a massive upgrade on the 2010.

Gear space: Here is the only place the 2010 was better. Do I really need a cigarette lighter taking the spot of my old cup holder> Nope. 12V power still shuts off with the car as well...why?

Wheels: No difference. I would love to see Michellin Sport A/S on these cars instead of these junker factory tires. I can't tell ya'll how much better the Michelin were on the 2010 after I replaced the original Dunlaps.

Rumble: 2010 was louder. Although it might be the 2013 interior is just quieter...still evaluating this.

Headlights: 2013 is adaptive with LED running lights. Huge difference. The auto high beam is a bit annoying, but you can turn it off.

Eco Drive: OK, I am not used to this. I like the theory that I get less gas consumption overall but dammit it feels like a prius when it shuts off. Then if you jack it it lurches as it reingages. You can turn it off, but you have to push the button everytime you get in the car. Maybe I will like it but it also reminds of the totally cheap-feeling (but $$$) BMW I kept for 5 months and unloaded at a huge loss because it sucked. Still having nightmares about that resale "value".

Overall: Wow. This car rocks and has every amenity I wanted and then some. It is expensive. If you get it loaded the sticker approaches 90k. Rahal Jag did discount it pretty well though. But I can tell you that driving an S5, S6, Cayman S, Panamera, RS5, M5, M3, and a M6 simply left me cold after I saw the price per option ratio. And lets face it: Nothing looks like this car unless its an Aston

Safe driving everyone!

Old 05-21-2013, 04:45 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Also love my 2013 XFR (no speed pack though), and I have a tip for you:

You can control the ECO drive in other ways besides pushing the button. I leave it on, but can get it to disengage when I don't want it to "lurch" at start. For example, I've found that I can come out of ECO if I engage the paddle shifters. Also, I can come out of it if I only apply just enough brake pressure to stop the car from moving (versus a heavier foot).

Old 05-22-2013, 11:31 AM
Received 71 Likes on 64 Posts

I know what you mean, This is my 2nd week with my XFR, No speed pack but coming from a 2009 XF SC, This is a brand new world for me. I love it. And I leave that ECO stuff off until I get past break in period,

Old 05-23-2013, 06:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Brett Keating
Also love my 2013 XFR (no speed pack though), and I have a tip for you:

You can control the ECO drive in other ways besides pushing the button. I leave it on, but can get it to disengage when I don't want it to "lurch" at start. For example, I've found that I can come out of ECO if I engage the paddle shifters. Also, I can come out of it if I only apply just enough brake pressure to stop the car from moving (versus a heavier foot).

Thanks. A lighter foot makes it a bit better. I still haven't figured out exactly when it comes on tho...Also why does the car turn off automatically once parked sometimes...Haven't figured that out either. So far, the only thing I am not a fan about...but definitely not a deal breaker. I mean, do we really need an Eco mode on a 500hp+ car

Last edited by Mark Bochan; 05-23-2013 at 06:54 PM.
Old 05-24-2013, 10:16 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mark Bochan
Thanks. A lighter foot makes it a bit better. I still haven't figured out exactly when it comes on tho...Also why does the car turn off automatically once parked sometimes...Haven't figured that out either. So far, the only thing I am not a fan about...but definitely not a deal breaker. I mean, do we really need an Eco mode on a 500hp+ car
Yeah I know what you mean about the automatic turn-off. I feel as though each time I park the car I do essentially the same routine, and sometimes it will automatically turn off, and other times it won't.

Neither of those things bother me though. I think it's fun to have a car with a mind of its own sometimes.

The thing that bugs me most is that my seatbelt gets stuck sometimes.