XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

2012 XJ now same price as 2012 XF !!

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2016, 06:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 167 Likes on 120 Posts
Default 2012 XJ now same price as 2012 XF !!

Both $35 in the Portfolio trim, ~30k mi.

Would that make you guys want to jump into the XJ? given the XJ's better interior and probably better ride too.

Old 09-06-2016, 07:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 205 Likes on 188 Posts

XJ FOR SURE!!!! i loved mine. its overall better. and more of a bad *** car

Old 09-06-2016, 08:37 AM
Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts
Old 09-06-2016, 11:13 AM
Veteran Member

Amazing how much these big luxo sedans depreciate! The worst I hear is the S-Class.

Old 09-06-2016, 01:04 PM
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

You can find 2013-2014 certified pre-owned (with warranty) for around $40k. I was tempted to go that route ...

Old 09-06-2016, 03:48 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Wolfy
Amazing how much these big luxo sedans depreciate! The worst I hear is the S-Class.
the bigger they are, the harder they fall

Old 09-09-2016, 10:48 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I drove an CPO 2013 XJ after I'd ben shopping for XF. I was surprised to not like it as much. Ride felt too soft and car felt too heavy. I expected aluminum car to feel lighter. It was better in sport or dynamic mode though. Headroom and rear seat legroom were less than the XF. This particular car had rattle problems and tree sap on paint problems so I passed despite the 22k miles an $41K asking price. Maybe the ride and feel issues had something to do with its tires. I was very excited to find a model up in my colors, low miles, and in my price range but I was very let down afterwards. Keep shopping.

Old 09-09-2016, 12:26 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Yeah the depreciation on XJ's, 7 series, S-classes, A8's, etc is absolutely stunning. It really never ceases to amaze me. XF's depreciate pretty good too but not as bad as 5-series and E class. I am the type of guy who doesn't mind a 4 or 5 year old used car, and can benefit from this depreciation

Old 09-09-2016, 12:44 PM
Veteran Member

Actually, I plan to buy a CPO F-Pace in 3 years w/ extended warranty. I've heard nothing but raves about Jaguar's new hit.

Old 09-09-2016, 01:24 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Actually, I plan to buy a CPO F-Pace in 3 years w/ extended warranty. I've heard nothing but raves about Jaguar's new hit.

What a classy...classy ride you'll have.
In about 3-4 years F-type's will finally be depreciated into my budget

Old 09-12-2016, 09:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 594 Likes on 422 Posts

I leased a '12 XJL and HATED the ride. Expecting a luxury smooth ride I was very, very disappointed with its almost constant nervous jigglyness that absolutely drove me up the wall. I took it back numerous times to no avail. Drove other, loaner XJLs with the same issues. I was sooo glad when my lease was over. It was the worst riding car I had ever owned.

All along I always preferred the ride and handling of our '12 XF with the same powertrain. Even though it is a steel chassis and actually heavier than the aluminum XJL, the XF felt much lighter and much more agile. Sure, not nearly the same luxury interior but, drives much better. That has to account for something...

Old 09-13-2016, 07:39 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by axr6
I leased a '12 XJL and HATED the ride. Expecting a luxury smooth ride I was very, very disappointed with its almost constant nervous jigglyness that absolutely drove me up the wall. I took it back numerous times to no avail. Drove other, loaner XJLs with the same issues. I was sooo glad when my lease was over. It was the worst riding car I had ever owned.

All along I always preferred the ride and handling of our '12 XF with the same powertrain. Even though it is a steel chassis and actually heavier than the aluminum XJL, the XF felt much lighter and much more agile. Sure, not nearly the same luxury interior but, drives much better. That has to account for something...
thats really interesting you say that, you and I have the same feelings towards the opposite cars......ive had a regular XF and XJ...and I felt that jigglyness from the XF! (not so much the XJ). I absolutely loved the XJ.

Old 09-13-2016, 09:32 AM
Received 163 Likes on 112 Posts

Both $35 in the Portfolio trim, ~30k mi.

Would that make you guys want to jump into the XJ? given the XJ's better interior and probably better ride too.
I'll be a contrarian here. I have 2 Jags and a Lotus. Three different theories on how a car should perform.

Lets not even discuss the Lotus. It's a formula one chassis with a plastic body, weighing 1300 lbs, and 85 HP. Even the riced-out street warriors end up off the hard shoulder if they really want to take me on in the twisties. But it's like riding a suspension-less roller skate sitting on a cinder block.

I LOVE how the XF feels: it's almost as if, firmly belted in, and the controls falling just where they need to be, that it's an extension of me. It does what I want, when I want. It constantly amazes me as to both the build quality, the ride, and its nimbleness (can't wait to try the XE...)

My '00 XJ is a luxo-barge highway cruiser. If I've got miles to soak up, I'll take the tall-sidewalled tires, comfort suspension, almost spooky smoothness of that AJ26 mill under the bonnet. Can't throw the 5K lbs worth of fine British steel, leather, wool carpets, and veneer around like the XF (or the Lotus...), but, then, that's not what an executive saloon was meant for.

Just like you wouldn't use a set of pliers to hammer in a nail (well, most of the time anyway...), you choose your weapon based on what your mission is.

FWIW, I took an XJL for a test ride when I was in the throes of figuring out how I was going to go into debt for 5 years to own a newer CPO'd Jag. Loved it. Luxurious, deathly quiet, comfortable...and comes with its own postal code. Too much car for my driving profile. The XF fit perfectly.

It's a very personal decision. There is no best universal answer (regardless of how the powers that be are trying to make it so); only you can make that decision as to what is best. And that's what makes life so colorful.

Old 09-13-2016, 10:26 AM
Veteran Member

you're right about the XJ being "too much car"...especially in long wheelbase, its a land yacht, which is part of the reason I love it.

before i got married, i had 2 cars, a Jag XJ (every version since 2003) and a sports coupe of some kind...to allow me to switch between uber lux and sporty. as big as the XJ is (X351) it still feels smaller, lighter and more nimble than the XF. even in R trim that I have now, its a heavy car (and feels like it too).

but at the end of the day, as stated above, we cant make that decision for you. you'd need to drive them both and see how you like them

Old 09-13-2016, 10:49 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by axr6
For the '13 XJ, Jaguar has soften up the suspension. You might like it better.

Old 09-13-2016, 05:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 426 Likes on 306 Posts

Originally Posted by carzaddict
as big as the XJ is (X351) it still feels smaller, lighter and more nimble than the XF. even in R trim that I have now, its a heavy car (and feels like it too).
What tires are you running on your XF? I switched from Hankooks to the Bridgestone S-04's and the handling went from dull to great. So before you judge the platform, put some good shoes on it.

Old 09-14-2016, 08:14 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by 2010 Kyanite XFR
What tires are you running on your XF? I switched from Hankooks to the Bridgestone S-04's and the handling went from dull to great. So before you judge the platform, put some good shoes on it.
ive got Continental DWS06's on (yes i know, not the best choice of tires for the car). However I used to have a regular trim XF back in 2009, i remember feeling the same way. the car handles and performs great, but you can definitely feel (in hard turns) that the car is carrying weight