Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Can't wait for "new" ride

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2016, 04:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,541 Likes on 1,412 Posts
Default Can't wait for "new" ride

When I bought my 2010 XKR probably close to about 3 years ago, it was a higher mileage car that I bought at a price that you're seeing 2010's going for now, mid-thirties. I bought this particular car because it needed a new engine, which my personal mechanic purchased and installed, and for which the previous owner's insurance paid. The engine had about 5000 miles on it and was taken from a wrecked car. The car has been essentially trouble free except for the usual TPMS warnings, and a couple of minor issues. Coming from a 2002XKR convertible as my daily driver, the suspension and power of the 2010 were stunning in comparison. I love my 2002 (actually think it's a prettier car), but you have a suspension that bottoms out over the smallest of dips, humps, bumps, lumps, and that shakes like a bowl of jello when you go over those indescretions. I was amazed how firm yet comfortable the suspension setting was. Starting about 4 months ago, I starting hearing noises from the front suspension mostly going over irregular pavement, more annoying than a change in ride quality. I expected it to be a bad bushing or two, since in the X100, this is commonplace. The ride quality started to worsen a couple of months ago, and since the car now has over 100K miles on it (the engine now has about 35K miles on it), it would not be surprising that the shocks were probably contributing to the ride degradation. Since my son was using my 2002 as his car was in the shop for a month, and I have been so busy, I postponed doing anything until last week when I got my 2002 back. I wanted that great ride back, so I went about researching the replacement shocks for a 2010XKR with the CATS suspension. It is somewhat confusing because Jaguar has changed the part numbers starting in 2012 and there is a different number for XK's without the CATS suspension while the XK with the active suspension is the same. When I was satisfied that I'd found the correct Jaguar parts' numbers for the front and rear struts, I went about looking online for where the best price was. On ebay, there was a company named British Parts Place offering all four shocks for approximately HALF THE COST of one shock from a Jaguar dealer. In addition, in their ebay listing, it said it was not for the XKR or XKRs, but only for the XK model. Yet, the part number was the same as listed in the Jaguar OEM parts catalogue. The listing also gave the VIN number range for which these shocks were meant. My car was in the range, but I was still a little nervous, so I called them. They were very helpful, and actually told me that according to their information they had a different number for the 5.0L XKR cars. The number he gave me, however, when cross referenced with Jaguar parts catalog was for 2012-2015 cars. 2010-2011 XKRs and 2010-2011 XKs with CATS used the part number of their offering. And by the way, the listing was for Jaguar OEM shocks not aftermarket ones. To give you an idea of the cost difference, Jaguar dealers depending upon which dealer you choose, want between $475-575 per shock absorber, roughly $2000. for a set of four. British Parts Place wants $349 FOR ALL FOUR shocks including free shipping! I was rather skeptical, but the shocks arrived 2 or 3 days later, and they are, indeed, Jaguar sourced, and they're already on the car.

I don't have the car back for a couple more days, because I need new rear tires, am replacing front rotors and pads, and while the car was up on the rack, we noticed that the two motor mounts and the transmission mount were all bad, and because of that and the resulting extra bounce, it had ruptured (small leak) a transmission line. I had noticed a few days ago that shifts were a little strange and a bit harder, so I stopped driving the car till I could get it into the shop. Now I know why.

So, Tuesday or Wednesday I am hoping to get my car back with a whole new "attitude," the one that impressed me so much 3 years ago. And by the way, British Parts Place sells the shocks in both front and back pairs for both the 4.2L and 5.0L cars for $199 per pair which is at least $800 less than dealer sourced ones. And they are, indeed, OEM units. I can't wait to drive this car next week. But I have to say, I've enjoyed driving my 2002 for the past few days, it's just special and so beautiful. I really have the best of both worlds.

Attached Thumbnails Can't wait for "new" ride-group-b-esses-speed-shots-cp4_2059-jan3015-photo_by_brian-1024x683-.jpg   Can't wait for "new" ride-dscf0522-1280x960-.jpg  

Last edited by tberg; 07-01-2016 at 07:40 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by tberg:
kj07xk (07-01-2016), LoudHogRider (07-11-2016), ralphwg (07-02-2016), Stuart S (07-02-2016)
Old 07-02-2016, 04:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,183 Likes on 895 Posts

Ted tried to find their website and failed. could you provide it. Thanks

Old 07-02-2016, 06:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 631 Likes on 409 Posts

Nice collection, that 2002 is a classic!

The following users liked this post:
tberg (07-02-2016)
Old 07-09-2016, 05:14 PM
Veteran Member

I got my coupe back today after a fair amount of work to restore the sweet ride I had when I bought the car. New motor mounts and trans mount, new shocks front and rear, new front rotors, repaired transmission line, new rear tires and alignment.....And thank goodness it feels soooo goooood. What a huge difference in ride quality, just like new. The most amazing part is the shocks. Jaguar OEM w/CATS, all four shocks for about half the price of one shock from Jaguar dealership, $349 delivered! Can't wait to drive.

Old 07-10-2016, 11:03 PM
Received 77 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by tberg
I got my coupe back today after a fair amount of work to restore the sweet ride I had when I bought the car. New motor mounts and trans mount, new shocks front and rear, new front rotors, repaired transmission line, new rear tires and alignment.....And thank goodness it feels soooo goooood. What a huge difference in ride quality, just like new. The most amazing part is the shocks. Jaguar OEM w/CATS, all four shocks for about half the price of one shock from Jaguar dealership, $349 delivered! Can't wait to drive.
Good for you. Nothing like a little rejuvenation to bring back that 1st day of ownership feeling again!

tberg (07-11-2016)
Old 07-11-2016, 03:24 PM
Received 420 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by tberg
When I bought my 2010 XKR probably close to about 3 years ago, it was a higher mileage car that I bought at a price that you're seeing 2010's going for now, mid-thirties. I bought this particular car because it needed a new engine, which my personal mechanic purchased and installed, and for which the previous owner's insurance paid. The engine had about 5000 miles on it and was taken from a wrecked car. The car has been essentially trouble free except for the usual TPMS warnings, and a couple of minor issues. Coming from a 2002XKR convertible as my daily driver, the suspension and power of the 2010 were stunning in comparison. I love my 2002 (actually think it's a prettier car), but you have a suspension that bottoms out over the smallest of dips, humps, bumps, lumps, and that shakes like a bowl of jello when you go over those indescretions. I was amazed how firm yet comfortable the suspension setting was. Starting about 4 months ago, I starting hearing noises from the front suspension mostly going over irregular pavement, more annoying than a change in ride quality. I expected it to be a bad bushing or two, since in the X100, this is commonplace. The ride quality started to worsen a couple of months ago, and since the car now has over 100K miles on it (the engine now has about 35K miles on it), it would not be surprising that the shocks were probably contributing to the ride degradation. Since my son was using my 2002 as his car was in the shop for a month, and I have been so busy, I postponed doing anything until last week when I got my 2002 back. I wanted that great ride back, so I went about researching the replacement shocks for a 2010XKR with the CATS suspension. It is somewhat confusing because Jaguar has changed the part numbers starting in 2012 and there is a different number for XK's without the CATS suspension while the XK with the active suspension is the same. When I was satisfied that I'd found the correct Jaguar parts' numbers for the front and rear struts, I went about looking online for where the best price was. On ebay, there was a company named British Parts Place offering all four shocks for approximately HALF THE COST of one shock from a Jaguar dealer. In addition, in their ebay listing, it said it was not for the XKR or XKRs, but only for the XK model. Yet, the part number was the same as listed in the Jaguar OEM parts catalogue. The listing also gave the VIN number range for which these shocks were meant. My car was in the range, but I was still a little nervous, so I called them. They were very helpful, and actually told me that according to their information they had a different number for the 5.0L XKR cars. The number he gave me, however, when cross referenced with Jaguar parts catalog was for 2012-2015 cars. 2010-2011 XKRs and 2010-2011 XKs with CATS used the part number of their offering. And by the way, the listing was for Jaguar OEM shocks not aftermarket ones. To give you an idea of the cost difference, Jaguar dealers depending upon which dealer you choose, want between $475-575 per shock absorber, roughly $2000. for a set of four. British Parts Place wants $349 FOR ALL FOUR shocks including free shipping! I was rather skeptical, but the shocks arrived 2 or 3 days later, and they are, indeed, Jaguar sourced, and they're already on the car.

I don't have the car back for a couple more days, because I need new rear tires, am replacing front rotors and pads, and while the car was up on the rack, we noticed that the two motor mounts and the transmission mount were all bad, and because of that and the resulting extra bounce, it had ruptured (small leak) a transmission line. I had noticed a few days ago that shifts were a little strange and a bit harder, so I stopped driving the car till I could get it into the shop. Now I know why.

So, Tuesday or Wednesday I am hoping to get my car back with a whole new "attitude," the one that impressed me so much 3 years ago. And by the way, British Parts Place sells the shocks in both front and back pairs for both the 4.2L and 5.0L cars for $199 per pair which is at least $800 less than dealer sourced ones. And they are, indeed, OEM units. I can't wait to drive this car next week. But I have to say, I've enjoyed driving my 2002 for the past few days, it's just special and so beautiful. I really have the best of both worlds.
I'm ready to cross the 60,000 mile mark on my 08 XK, and know the CATS suspension replacement is out there...waiting. Great to know about the alternative supplier - thanks for that!

Also of note, I had an 02 XK8 in the same exterior color, but with the tan interior. It may be the prettiest car I've ever owned. It turned more heads than my current ride, which ain't too shabby in it's own right. Congrats on owning that beautiful ride (both of 'em, actually).

tberg (07-11-2016)
Old 07-11-2016, 06:09 PM
Veteran Member

Loudhogrider,
I have had several nice cars in 47 years of driving, but none, and I mean none, has ever garnered as many or as constant compliments as my 2002 XKR. People stop me every time I drive the car, and my 2010 XKR coupe aint too shabby either, but no comparison in the number of comments. Even compared to my exotic de Tomaso Pantera, the 2002 triumphs, classic design! The ride and handling, though, is a much different story. Love both.

Attached Thumbnails Can't wait for "new" ride-dscf0524-1280x960-.jpg