XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Adding a front mount heat exchanger in the loop

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2018, 11:40 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Adding a front mount heat exchanger in the loop

Has anyone upgraded their SC cooling system by adding a front mount heat exchanger in loop with the current system? I am looking to swap out my SC water pump with the higher flow BOSH and was thinking that with the higher flow, adding a 30*3*6 dual pass heat exchanger, in the lower grill. Some thing like this, that would be an upgrade to the supercharged mustang. Putting the out flow from the pump to this, out let of this to the top mounted heat exchanger. Would also add the volume of the exchanger in coolant to the system as well.
Thoughts?

Old 01-08-2018, 01:18 AM
Veteran Member
Received 469 Likes on 279 Posts

I thought about this, and the short answer is yes, you absolutely could do this, especially with the uprated Bosch pump. I considered this option but instead went for fabbing up a universal aluminum radiator to replace the existing (thin!) OEM radiator to take advantage of the space in front of the radiator really all they way up the front panel as opposed to just the bottom vent.

You could also consider some sort of "Killer Chiller"-style system with a heat exchanger (basically identical to the automatic transmission cooler) that plumbs into the charge cooler circuit and the AC circuit. I can't really vouch for these systems, I notice they require a 3-way valve in the AC connections (presumably so you can choose whether to super-cool your chargecooler or your car interior) so you might want to read up on reliability etc if you were going to go down that road. I'm tempted to read further into it, although I'm a bit concerned about whether condensation could form on the "radiators" in the chargecooler inlet manifold.

Old 01-08-2018, 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by davetibbs
I thought about this, and the short answer is yes, you absolutely could do this, especially with the uprated Bosch pump. I considered this option but instead went for fabbing up a universal aluminum radiator to replace the existing (thin!) OEM radiator to take advantage of the space in front of the radiator really all they way up the front panel as opposed to just the bottom vent.

You could also consider some sort of "Killer Chiller"-style system with a heat exchanger (basically identical to the automatic transmission cooler) that plumbs into the charge cooler circuit and the AC circuit. I can't really vouch for these systems, I notice they require a 3-way valve in the AC connections (presumably so you can choose whether to super-cool your chargecooler or your car interior) so you might want to read up on reliability etc if you were going to go down that road. I'm tempted to read further into it, although I'm a bit concerned about whether condensation could form on the "radiators" in the chargecooler inlet manifold.
I've read on the Killer Chiller, and thats more then i want to mess with, lol. I'm in Texas, i need my AC system to be 100%.
What are the dimensions of the radiator you fitted vs stock?
I've seen larger heat exchangers then what i posted, but that seemed too big for the application, lol. At that point they were just smaller radiators, and I'm sure a huge load on the pressure for the system. I was looking for something at is easy to undo, or I wont be out a load of cash if i get rid of the car in a few years, or when its paid off.
That's another thing too, I have an extended warranty till 100,000 miles(still got 30k left on it) so i dont want to mess with the radiator, since the cooling system is covered.

Old 01-08-2018, 09:07 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,755 Likes on 1,326 Posts

I have done exactly that on my 2005 XJR. However I added 6" fans to it.

I added an upgraded Bosch pump as well.

Attached Thumbnails Adding a front mount heat exchanger in the loop-2016-07-09-16.17.34.jpg  
Old 08-08-2019, 12:31 AM
Received 119 Likes on 68 Posts

I

I added one and the benefit is great.

Old 08-09-2019, 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by Terrance39
I

I added one and the benefit is great.
What size core did you go with? And did you change the pump

Old 08-09-2019, 12:48 PM
Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts
Default snow methanol

another option i researched was snow methanol injection using windshield washer tank. they are pretty responsive re: tech support. i didn't do such a thing yet, but they can control our cars easiest with MAF sensor outputs

Old 08-09-2019, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by blownsilly
What size core did you go with? And did you change the pump
Don't know the size, It came off of my buddies 2012 s4. He upgraded to a huge one and this is his stock one. I was looking at it and was like, that should fit. No the stock pump really moves the coolant pretty well. I had an upgraded pump on it before and took it off and replaced it with the stock pump. Because I kept on getting a cel. I used the clear hoses to make sure the coolant is moving well and it is.

Old 08-09-2019, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by Adam J
another option i researched was snow methanol injection using windshield washer tank. they are pretty responsive re: tech support. i didn't do such a thing yet, but they can control our cars easiest with MAF sensor outputs

I also have meth injection as well.

Old 08-09-2019, 02:23 PM

I have used different meth kits in the past on my drag cars, they are simple but you need fail safes (flow meters and fluid level monitoring) also when i used them my stand alone adjusted the fuel map idk how that would be accomplished with our car or if our cars are smart enough to adjust it self spraying after the maf.

Old 08-10-2019, 01:44 AM

I have used different meth kits in the past on my drag cars, they are simple but you need fail safes (flow meters and fluid level monitoring) also when i used them my stand alone adjusted the fuel map idk how that would be accomplished with our car or if our cars are smart enough to adjust it self spraying after the maf.
Well the iat sensor is in the lid. So if you keep temps down with the meth it will stop the car from pulling timing from the temps rising. On a hard pull through the gears temps can easily get above 200 degrees.

The following users liked this post:
jackra_1 (08-10-2019)
Old 08-10-2019, 06:46 AM
Veteran Member

Well the iat sensor is in the lid. So if you keep temps down with the meth it will stop the car from pulling timing from the temps rising. On a hard pull through the gears temps can easily get above 200 degrees.
Which is why I have meth/water injection as well as to help keep the intercoolers etc clean along with an oil catch can.

Old 08-19-2020, 08:15 PM

So I had to replace the radiator fan, as it died, and since I was working on the car, I finally decided to pull the bumper and get this thing in. Took a little cutting to get it high enough to clear the plastic under tray, and for the barbs/hoses.

The following 2 users liked this post by Twiztidunreal:
jackra_1 (08-19-2020), Robinus (08-20-2020)
Old 08-20-2020, 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by Twiztidunreal
So I had to replace the radiator fan, as it died, and since I was working on the car, I finally decided to pull the bumper and get this thing in. Took a little cutting to get it high enough to clear the plastic under tray, and for the barbs/hoses.

Awesome, this is the 30x6 you mentioned above?

Old 08-20-2020, 08:39 AM

Awesome, this is the 30x6 you mentioned above?
actually I ended up with a different one. Close in size, but this one is 26x7x3.5. One I got is posted in the link below. I did have to get a couple of 1/2"npt to 3/4" barbs and had to get a drain plug to replace the valve on it, as it stuck down too low.
Heat Exchanger

Old 08-20-2020, 10:01 AM
Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Twiztidunreal
Has anyone upgraded their SC cooling system by adding a front mount heat exchanger in loop with the current system? I am looking to swap out my SC water pump with the higher flow BOSH and was thinking that with the higher flow, adding a 30*3*6 dual pass heat exchanger, in the lower grill. Some thing like this, that would be an upgrade to the supercharged mustang. Putting the out flow from the pump to this, out let of this to the top mounted heat exchanger. Would also add the volume of the exchanger in coolant to the system as well.
Thoughts?
my concern would be not directing enough airflow to and through your proposed HX.. it's very short in height compared to the stock charge cool radiator. you need to direct air through a charge cool radiator, but also get it through the entire surface of the engine cooling radiator, right? The stock series of radiators (water to air heat exchangers) are set up to use the same airflow and sized accordingly

Old 08-20-2020, 10:10 AM
Veteran Member

That is why I have fans to get the required airflow thru not just the addon radiator but whatever is "blocked" behind it in my installation. Also upgraded puimp.

When all fans are running the volume of air going thru the radiators and the engine compartment is quite phenomenal.

Old 08-20-2020, 10:12 AM

my concern would be not directing enough airflow to and through your proposed HX.. it's very short in height compared to the stock charge cool radiator. you need to direct air through a charge cool radiator, but also get it through the entire surface of the engine cooling radiator, right? The stock series of radiators (water to air heat exchangers) are set up to use the same airflow and sized accordingly
factory one is still in place, flow comes out of factory cooler, through Bosh pump, through this cooler, then up to to top of the SC system. It is a dual pass is it's actually 3.5"×3.5" each pass.
As long as ambient temp is lower then coolant temp, it will have some efficiency and if nothing else, added more coolant to the system capacity, which helps distribute the heat.
also, even though this is shorter then the factory, height wise, it is more then 3x thicker, so same if not more total volume, as well as fin surface area.

Old 08-26-2020, 01:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cold air intake

Hello where do i get a cold air intake for 17 jag f type r?
QUOTE=jackra_1;1821604]I have done exactly that on my 2005 XJR. However I added 6" fans to it.

I added an upgraded Bosch pump as well.[/QUOTE]

Old 08-26-2020, 01:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jackra_1
That is why I have fans to get the required airflow thru not just the addon radiator but whatever is "blocked" behind it in my installation. Also upgraded puimp.

When all fans are running the volume of air going thru the radiators and the engine compartment is quite phenomenal.

I also have meth injection as well.
nice setup. Where did u get the cold air intake ?

Quick Reply: Adding a front mount heat exchanger in the loop