XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

aftermarket performance for XF

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2010, 10:53 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default aftermarket performance for XF

what reputable aftermarket comapnies cater to the 2010 XF? i am looking for an exhaust and cold air intake with tuner.

Old 11-04-2010, 08:33 AM
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Performance exhaust

I'm also interested. I found this performance exhaust kit on eBay. I called and they can show me the system but don't have it on an XF for comparison. I live in Los Angeles. Andrew

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Jagua...ltDomainQ5f100

Old 11-04-2010, 11:37 AM
Received 2,187 Likes on 1,356 Posts

Just dont do anything with the air filters or intake on a xfr. There is already issues with airfilter imblance when the filters do not have the same date of manufacture between the 2 filters. Cause air flow imbalance and throws off the mass air flow sensors and 02 causing cold start drivabilty issues. Yeah theyre that sensitive

Old 11-05-2010, 08:17 AM

Has anyone tried K&N Filters oin their XF?

Old 11-05-2010, 02:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 281 Likes on 260 Posts

Why not just save your pennies and buy the factory modded XF = the XFR.

Seriously, there is hardly anything left to extract from good modern emission controlled engines without adversely affecting drivability. The factory boys went to important universities to learn how to hot rod cars and then when they work for companies like Jaguar they get to actually do it for the production cars. The aftermarket is never going to beat Jaguar engineers at their own game.

Jaguar's V8 is one of the very best production engines available. Jaguar deliberately tunes it for torque lower down at the expense of peak power at the top end. If you modify the intake or exhaust you will be ruining all this hard work.

Are you sure you bought the right car for you?

Old 11-06-2010, 09:27 AM

I love to tinker with my toys. Quality and performance can always be improved and manufacturers will cut corners to meet design criteria, a price point or profit margin. Their design or cost cutting decisions may not match my desires. I may want to throw money in other areas. So I don't buy the argument that the XF or any car is perfect as is. I have been "improving" my cars since my first Camaro in 1976, although now I only seem to have imports. I always installed my own radio systems when cars allowed for it. I even installed NAV into my first Mercedes ML320 because I didn't believe it was worth $2k as a factory option. I bought the unit off eBay and I installed it myself. I bought all the leather trim extras that came with the higher end MLs and installed them including the chrome door handles (had a body shop do that) and built up my stock base ML for next to nothing compared to the factory options for the same items. I also have replaced the door, dash and center wood panels in my 2000 XJ8 with the more stately and dramatic wood from a vanden plas model and improved the door speakers at the same time. Again, everything was found on eBay. But that's just my DNA. I know it doesn't work for everyone.

As for performance, I and many others performance tune our cars. My Porsche 911 and 928 have performance chips, new exhaust and cold air induction systems (so did my Bimmer). I even performance tuned my Toyotal Land Cruiser. I added an K&N cold air induction and got rid of the huge restrictive air box and installed less restrictive exhaust. Now my mileage has increased an average of 5MPG and my 4.7L V8 (3 ton SUV) hauls ***. It is a beast and people noticed the difference. Yet the exhaust is not louder on the outside and engine noise is only slightly louder in the cabin at freeway speeds. Something I can live with - others may have preferred the very quiet ride of the original LC. Not me.

So I will continue to tinker and if there's an exhaust system, cold air induction kit or performance chip for the XF (like the ones I put in my 911) you bet I will install it. Bottom line - I'm a DIY type of guy, enjoy looking for performance solutions and getting extra horsepower for less cost.

Last edited by ajmarton; 11-06-2010 at 09:47 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Panthro (11-14-2015)
Old 11-06-2010, 07:58 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ajmarton
enjoy looking for performance solutions and getting extra horsepower for less cost.

Here are a few options for Exhausts and Tuning:

Spires

Quicksilver

RSC Tuning

Spires offers Tuning for more XF models, RSC offers tuning for the XFR only.

Have fun!

JJ

Old 11-06-2010, 10:13 PM

my 2011 mustang gt 5.9 makes 416hp stock. with just a few aftermarket parts and a tune im up to 450hp. when finished ill be up to 460-470hp.

there is plenty more from every modern marque. warranty concerns cause manufacturers to tune their vehicle conservative.

Old 11-06-2010, 10:13 PM

5.0 i mean. hit the 9 by accident

Old 11-06-2010, 11:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 86 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by jagular
Why not just save your pennies and buy the factory modded XF = the XFR.

Seriously, there is hardly anything left to extract from good modern emission controlled engines without adversely affecting drivability. The factory boys went to important universities to learn how to hot rod cars and then when they work for companies like Jaguar they get to actually do it for the production cars. The aftermarket is never going to beat Jaguar engineers at their own game.

Jaguar's V8 is one of the very best production engines available. Jaguar deliberately tunes it for torque lower down at the expense of peak power at the top end. If you modify the intake or exhaust you will be ruining all this hard work.

Are you sure you bought the right car for you?
I agree to everything you said except one thing I will not! Lolz...the exhaust is the first thing you would want to swap out of from the stock Jag, come on man! Are you kidding me? Putting on Magnaflow exhaust and X pipe, and throw in Magnaflow HI flow caTs; right there you got yourself the best mod possible , 10 times better than stock! Sorry, but you lost this one buddy

Last edited by jag79; 11-06-2010 at 11:12 PM.
The following users liked this post:
bollocsk187 (09-19-2014)
Old 11-07-2010, 09:17 AM
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Jagular's idea that the factory package can't or shouldn't be improved upon is ridiculous as usual. It can be easily done and at far less than the $10-15k premium for the R. In addition to the companies mentioned above, you may also want to look into the following:

Singh Autosport

Mina Gallery

Last edited by duke_dallas; 11-07-2010 at 09:20 AM.
Old 11-07-2010, 10:47 AM

the XF is my sister's car. she wants me to research performance upgrades for her XF. so i am.

Old 11-07-2010, 06:34 PM
Veteran Member

You may be interested to read some of the actual dyno tests done by European Car after adding some of the supposedly top quality aftermarket exhausts to factory engines.

The objectively measured "improvements" were tiny and sometimes negative. None justified the cost and all traded increased noise for any observed improvements.

About the most useless modification you can make to a modern car is an aftermarket exhaust. Most of the back pressure is upstream of the catalytic converters and it is very expensive to try and improve flow through those, usually you lose ground clearance.

Until somebody actually finds measured improvements from actual dyno testing I remain of the view that you are all wasting your money. Better tires or, even better a driving course, would be a much more productive use of your money and the car would be faster with either of those.

Old 11-07-2010, 08:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 86 Likes on 61 Posts

You may be interested to read some of the actual dyno tests done by European Car after adding some of the supposedly top quality aftermarket exhausts to factory engines.

The objectively measured "improvements" were tiny and sometimes negative. None justified the cost and all traded increased noise for any observed improvements.

About the most useless modification you can make to a modern car is an aftermarket exhaust. Most of the back pressure is upstream of the catalytic converters and it is very expensive to try and improve flow through those, usually you lose ground clearance.

Until somebody actually finds measured improvements from actual dyno testing I remain of the view that you are all wasting your money. Better tires or, even better a driving course, would be a much more productive use of your money and the car would be faster with either of those.
Sorry but you need to hope on to the S type forum and get educated on the basics of upgrades on exhaust and what not. There is abundant info on the S type forum regarding dyno tests on intakes and exhaust mods for the STR's which has shown improved performance. I for one can attest to it. I changed out my Cats for Magnaflow Hi flow CAts and exhaust, plus added an X pipe. With all that I noticed more torque plus a significant improvement in horsepower. You need to do more researching to backup your comments before saying irrelevant opinions about something you dont know.

Old 11-09-2010, 09:12 PM
Veteran Member

Care to post the dyno results?

Did you also measure the noise increase?

How was that part throttle response? Fuel economy OK for you?

I know plenty about this area, not as much as Jaguar engineers but enough to know not to waste my money.

So, what was that zero to 60 time difference after the mods?

Old 11-10-2010, 09:54 AM

Well, to be perfectly honest, I prefer a slightly deeper, louder but still refined exhaust like on the performance models. And the bottom line is that "perception is reality" and if *I* think the XF is faster after some performance tuning than hey - it is. And nothing else matters. You think it's wasting money - well, I think its money well spent because I'm a very happy camper. And at the end of the day I spend my discretionary income on things that make me feel good. The other missed point here - is that I don't have the money to buy an XFR anyway so the argument that I should just move up in class isn't a solution for me. But performance tuning is. Ignorant but happy ... that's the life for me. Andrew

Last edited by ajmarton; 11-10-2010 at 09:56 AM.
Old 11-10-2010, 11:02 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,006 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  car01.jpg
Views: 2455
Size:  19.3 KB

Each to their own I say
We're ALL different and diverse which makes a place like this great, cos you can find similar minded people as well as guys out there who think totally differently......Best of both worlds!

Old 11-11-2010, 03:27 PM
Veteran Member

Unless the ECU can benefit from a revised chip or reflash it is very unlikely that changing the intake or exhaust on a fine European car (and even on their cheapo ones we can't buy yet) will produce measurable positive results. If cosmetic improvement is desired (including sounds as part of the "cosmetic" approach) then you may well be satisfied with an aftermarket product. In some cases the engine performance will be degraded with these aftermarket systems.

Reducing intake and exhaust pumping losses are basically free fuel economy gains for manufacturers. Fuel economy equates to the all important lower CO2 numbers the Euro manufacturers now have to meet. Big tax penalties are imposed on cars that produce more CO2. Even well known European aftermarket tuners know they cannot improve on factory systems unless they also re-write the ECU, fit new cams, increase the fuel flow capacity etc etc. Just bolting on pipes or messing with the air cleaner box is pretty much useless now.

North American cars do not have to meet these stricter requirements so there are many inefficient powertrains still built for things like Mustangs and Camaros. Heck, US manufacturers still use pushrod engines. You may well get "free" horsepower out of a US built car by simply fitting a Flowmaster or a K&N noisy cone filter. Not so with Euro sleds. In fact, doing so will likely make the engine perform less well.

To get the full picture of the difference between Euro cars and US cars try a Euro turbo diesel and you'll see how much grunt is being produced from very small powerplants, using virtually perfect engine breathing technology. Even GM is bringing over a 1.4 turbo gasoline powered Opel (the "Cruze") which has plenty of power. Ford is giving us the Fiesta (1.6) and the new World Focus is coming which is a truly brilliant car with 1.6, 2.0 and a 2.5 turbo (ex Volvo) gasoline engines to go with its excellent turbo diesels (which we won't likely get.)

Last edited by jagular; 11-11-2010 at 03:31 PM.
Old 11-13-2010, 03:31 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Unless the ECU can benefit from a revised chip or reflash ...
I think what you meant to convey is "compensate". An ECU cannot benefit from anything - it is a static control device with the ability to self-adjust based on a parameter table. It does not have the capacity to "benefit" from anything. It can, however, adjust as needed based on input from sensor data to provide the optimum (based on it's programmed goals) engine/tranny management (A/F mix, shift-points, etc) - as long as the changes are within the parameters of its ability to compensate. Flashing or chipping an ECU (without dyno runs) typically involves widening the the parameters of "self-adjustment" regarding the ECU.

Reducing intake and exhaust pumping losses are basically free fuel economy gains for manufacturers...
This is just incorrect ... as someone who has stated their pride on the ability to write - I am surprised here. First and foremost, an engine does not "pump on intake", it draws. It is the engine only that pumps - the intake path draws and the exhaust path scavenges (extracts). Secondly, (to quote) "Reducing intake and exhaust pumping losses" reads that you are actually INCREASING extraction of combustion gasses. It is a double negative on exhaust extraction - meaning it increases flow thereby REDUCING fuel economy. This cannot be a "free fuel economy gains for manufacturers". It would have the polarizing effect in that it would decrease average fuel economy. Always remember that more "flow" requires more fuel to maintain the same Air/Fuel (A/F) ratio.

Heck, US manufacturers still use pushrod engines.
Like there is something wrong with that? Last time I checked the 'Vette and the CTS-V are either on-par with, or they even better - the MPG ratings of all cars in the same performance category (aside from the Jag 5.0L S/C plant). Ferrari and Lambo's ain't exactly misers on gas - why do you continually put down the North American market. I swear from reading your posts you think that Canada is not part of North America.

You may well get "free" horsepower out of a US built car by simply fitting a Flowmaster or a K&N noisy cone filter. Not so with Euro sleds.
That is simply not true. Virtually all production vehicles can benefit from both of those mods (performance-wise). I would place a caveat here regarding the Veyron; that car is just SICK. Unfortunately for me, I have to refer to it as a "Powerball Car", 'cause that's the only way I'll ever get one! .

'Nuff said...

Mod-On I say!!!! Why? ... Because STOCK SUX
(personally I am thinking of doing a smaller pulley, cat-back, and an ECU map for my XFR)

Last edited by vmaxxer; 11-13-2010 at 04:00 AM.
Old 11-13-2010, 07:28 PM

some of you think that soemhow manufacturers have "wrung" every hp out of a package. if thats the case, whay are pulley s-type r's running 11's? why are 335i bmw's make 435rwhp from aftermarket parts. federal regulations regulating sound and fuel economy standards, torque managment scheme's, etc?

it is arrogant to say euro manufacturers have maximized efficience AND power.

i remember BMW powertrain engineers recommending against reprogamming PCM's on straitfied injection DI scheme's because of drivetrain damage, only to have american tuners to make nearly 500 crank hp with 11.5:1 a/f ratios.

even VANOS scheme's can be non-50 state legal retuned for increases in power.

last time i checked ALL current Jaguar drivertrains are Ford inspired. my 2011 mustang is based on the S-type chasis. which, by the way is faster at the track than a track suspensioned M3.

Quick Reply: aftermarket performance for XF