XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

aftermarket performance for XF

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2010, 07:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 166 Likes on 134 Posts

I found this link to Paramount Performance.

http://www.paramount-performance.com..._Upgrades.html

I linked to the XF page in particular but they do have other product lines. They are UK based it appears. I tried e-mailing them about ECUs for my S-Type but never got an answer back. It may be better to call them than e-mail them. They have packages for both diesel and petrol engines.

Regarding exhaust systems, I am aware of several firms that offer cat-back systems as well as high-flow converters. You should check with your state's emissions requirements before installing them though. CA apparently has a zero tolerance for modifying emissions systems.

Mike

Old 11-19-2010, 03:24 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JimC64

Ok, here it is, for the last time and especially in this thread. No more warnings, just a 7 day ban or, if severe enough, a lifetime ban!

Please refrain from being abusive to each other because you have different points of view. Most people can have opposing points of view on most subjects but remain civil about it.

Assasinator, you are very close to being correct....being abusive and post whoring (4 posts in a row ) will get you a short ban!

i am not trying to get banned, even for a short term. If it pleases you, delete my post count any time you like. i post similar to this on every forum i am on. different thoughts. my mind works in a fragmented fashion, and it's tiresome to edit my posts over and over for adding thoughts.

i am not being sharp or asking for trouble from the admin of this site. aplogies for the indescretions.

The following users liked this post:
bollocsk187 (09-19-2014)
Old 11-19-2010, 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by carelm

I linked to the XF page in particular but they do have other product lines. They are UK based it appears. I tried e-mailing them about ECUs for my S-Type but never got an answer back. It may be better to call them than e-mail them. They have packages for both diesel and petrol engines.

Regarding exhaust systems, I am aware of several firms that offer cat-back systems as well as high-flow converters. You should check with your state's emissions requirements before installing them though. CA apparently has a zero tolerance for modifying emissions systems.

Mike

thank you, that is EXACTLY what i was looking for.

-bill

Old 11-29-2010, 07:05 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is just funny. I think he really just doesn't know any better.

With all due respect, there is a reason why the aftermarket performance industry is in the billions and why the majority of Porsche, Ferrari, Maserati, etc. owners spend thousands for track day. Stock cars even Ferrari, Maserati, Aston are detuned from the factory (exhaust, engine, suspension) to be able to appeal and satisfy a much larger audience.

Originally Posted by jagular
Why not just save your pennies and buy the factory modded XF = the XFR.

Seriously, there is hardly anything left to extract from good modern emission controlled engines without adversely affecting drivability. The factory boys went to important universities to learn how to hot rod cars and then when they work for companies like Jaguar they get to actually do it for the production cars. The aftermarket is never going to beat Jaguar engineers at their own game.

Jaguar's V8 is one of the very best production engines available. Jaguar deliberately tunes it for torque lower down at the expense of peak power at the top end. If you modify the intake or exhaust you will be ruining all this hard work.

Are you sure you bought the right car for you?

Old 11-29-2010, 07:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 281 Likes on 260 Posts

Yes, there is and a lot of money gets wasted by people trying to "improve" their cars when all they achieve is to make them "different".

There is ample evidence that much of what is marketed as improving performance does no such thing.

Interestingly, the sites listed above either make no claim to improve performance, just appearance and "sound", or where a performance improvement is claimed there are no specifics and certainly no dyno figures.

Aftermarket exhaust systems for modern street cars are usually worse than a waste of money, they often actually perform less well than stock. Most make more noise.

Fascinated to know how detuned the Enzo or the Italia (458) might be. Haven't seen any aftermarket tuner parts for them.

Last edited by jagular; 11-29-2010 at 07:30 PM.
Old 11-29-2010, 08:02 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not going to be drawn into a useless exercise - new to this forum. But, the Enzo and supercars in that category don't apply and are not what the discussion is about - and I believe you know it. As for the 458, it's too new and there will most certainly be new performance modifications within the year.

You need to disregard the 75% "performance improvement ads" that are no different from "new hair growth gel" from those from legitimate tuner companies that support the home enthusiast as well as the occasional and frequent track guys. I would be willing to bet that you won't find one driver worldwide that tracks his car and states that he has not improved his car with aftermarket products. As to driveability, there are certainly mods that make a car less desirable as every day drivers as well as mods that make no detrimental effect on every day use but do improve either handling or performance. Most of these mods are subjective - a firmer suspension may improve handling, but at the expense of comfort. But what I may "feel" is too stiff, or too loud, or too much torque (if there could be such a thing), is in the eye of the beholder/driver.

Please don't go to economy. Its irrelevant - no one is talking about improving mileage and anyone looking to pull more performance out has little to no interest in fuel economy.

If you would like to analyze some pics of the stock exhaust on a modern Italian and those of an aftermarket exhaust specifically designed to remedy the inherent design problems on the stock system, let me know. I can post pics and explain the improvement.

Or, to educate yourself, please feel free to read up at the Ferrarichat, Rennlist, 6speedonline or Maseratilife forums.

Seriously - go read and chat with those guys and ask your questions in an attempt to really understand - and accept that in this case you may be off base - that's ok

Yes, there is and a lot of money gets wasted by people trying to "improve" their cars when all they achieve is to make them "different".

There is ample evidence that much of what is marketed as improving performance does no such thing.

Interestingly, the sites listed above either make no claim to improve performance, just appearance and "sound", or where a performance improvement is claimed there are no specifics and certainly no dyno figures.

Aftermarket exhaust systems for modern street cars are usually worse than a waste of money, they often actually perform less well than stock. Most make more noise.

Fascinated to know how detuned the Enzo or the Italia (458) might be. Haven't seen any aftermarket tuner parts for them.

Old 11-30-2010, 10:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 281 Likes on 260 Posts

Yes, I am waiting for anyone to post proper dyno figures that show the improvement available from any aftermarket exhaust for any top line European car. I don't understand how a photo can show a power or torque improvement.

What would be even better is properly proven improvements in acceleration runs in each gear from standing starts and also from roll on.

The last set of stuff I saw in European Car, a magazine devoted to the tuner crowd, showed zero improvement and in some cases negative improvement. Often where the peak power was improved, peak torque was not or was moved in the rev range and net performance change was zero or negative.

I stopped reading European Car when that happened.

By all means publish the proof.

Interesting that Ferrari is now an exception. I believe your initial post said:

"Stock cars even Ferrari, Maserati, Aston are detuned from the factory (exhaust, engine, suspension) to be able to appeal and satisfy a much larger audience."

This will come as surprising news to the engineers at Ferrari, Maserati (which is just an entry level Ferrari these days) and Aston Martin. One interesting fact is that the 6.0 liter V12 in the DB9 was exactly twice as big as the 3.0 liter V6 in the Jaguar X and S Types and developed exactly twice the torque and horsepower. That Jaguar X Type V6 was quite an engine. Nobody has improved on that engine without bolting on a couple of turbochargers as Noble did to get over 400 hp without changing any internals. Imagine, a Ford Taurus or a Mazda 6 with an engine that the aftermarket could not improve upon.....

The XF engine is pretty much optimized. Admittedly Aston Martin's version of this engine gets more power but at great expense and even they had to bore it out to 4.3....peak torque is about the same

Last edited by jagular; 11-30-2010 at 10:34 PM.
Old 12-01-2010, 03:41 PM

jagular is trolling. dont feed the troll. his arguments are baseless and in the face of facts.

Old 12-02-2010, 04:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 639 Likes on 441 Posts

Ok, that's enough .This thread will go nowhere but bickering and flaming at each other

Old 12-03-2010, 03:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 639 Likes on 441 Posts

Speaking of aftermarket parts, may be you can contact nameless performance one of our vendors about availability for XF performance stuffs

I believe there is no limit for upgrading considering you can see some parts for Lamborghini Murcielago LP670 as well ,that's a hyper car you know

Bugatti Veyron also throven by mechanics and now it can hit 432 km/h

Old 12-03-2010, 02:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 166 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by cadillac
Speaking of aftermarket parts, may be you can contact nameless performance one of our vendors about availability for XF performance stuffs

I believe there is no limit for upgrading considering you can see some parts for Lamborghini Murcielago LP670 as well ,that's a hyper car you know

Bugatti Veyron also throven by mechanics and now it can hit 432 km/h
cadillac,

I'm not sure where Planetorium is located, but it appears as though you keep some strange hours.

Back to the original premise, with the XF now on the market, it seems as though the after-market situation is improving slowly. As expected, the primary push will be for the supercharged cars. The XF Supercharged might be a better platform to start from if one were to modify it from Day One. After installing the usual combination of aftermarket goodies to push the hp up to around 550 hp or so you would probably spend what an XFR costs. I just used the Singh packages and the Paramount packages as reference though.

Old 12-03-2010, 03:45 PM

MODS, you are getting the wrong impression of my purpose here.

nameless performance? ill look into it. thanks.

The following users liked this post:
icebear (04-15-2013)
Old 12-04-2010, 06:29 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,006 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  car01.jpg
Views: 1967
Size:  19.3 KB

Nameless performance are a vendor on this site assasin. They can be found either in the vendor section or in the XK section.....they've already done a lot of work with some of our members .....Jason is the man to speak to

Old 01-01-2011, 04:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why not just save your pennies and buy the factory modded XF = the XFR.

Seriously, there is hardly anything left to extract from good modern emission controlled engines without adversely affecting drivability. The factory boys went to important universities to learn how to hot rod cars and then when they work for companies like Jaguar they get to actually do it for the production cars. The aftermarket is never going to beat Jaguar engineers at their own game.

Jaguar's V8 is one of the very best production engines available. Jaguar deliberately tunes it for torque lower down at the expense of peak power at the top end. If you modify the intake or exhaust you will be ruining all this hard work.

Are you sure you bought the right car for you?
You are ignoring the fact that these engineers have a vast amount of requirements they need to meet. The majority of which are in no way related to performance and many of which hinder performance.

Your claim that there is not more performance to be had w/o affecting drivability is just plain wrong.

Old 01-01-2011, 04:41 PM

You may be interested to read some of the actual dyno tests done by European Car after adding some of the supposedly top quality aftermarket exhausts to factory engines.

The objectively measured "improvements" were tiny and sometimes negative. None justified the cost and all traded increased noise for any observed improvements.

About the most useless modification you can make to a modern car is an aftermarket exhaust. Most of the back pressure is upstream of the catalytic converters and it is very expensive to try and improve flow through those, usually you lose ground clearance.

Until somebody actually finds measured improvements from actual dyno testing I remain of the view that you are all wasting your money. Better tires or, even better a driving course, would be a much more productive use of your money and the car would be faster with either of those.
European Car has shown many aftermarket exhaust systems to increase power on many makes. Not sure why you are stating otherwise. As with many mods more power will be seen with more done. So more boost from the S/C will yield more power when changing out the exhaust. Also, modern catalytic converters are incredibly restrictive on factory vehicle and there are often 3 or more of them when one aftermarket high-flow can usually keep a car legal.

It baffles me that you think the factory designed you intake and exhaust to provide optimal flow.

Now you are right about the driving courses. But when it comes to intake and exhaust it is simple more air in and more out with the least energy wasted in restriction and heat will always yield more power except. The only exception is maintaining enough back pressure in N/A and S/C cars...but you can do that and improve flow.

Old 01-01-2011, 04:58 PM

Example:

You can search the bimmer forums for dynos...they are there.

An Active Autowerk E90 M3 Full Exhaust makes 30 hp over stock.

Not to mention it is 50 lbs lighter. And these gains are stock vs exhuast. If the car were even moderately modded the stock verse aftermarket exhaust numbers would be far different, never mind if the car were S/C and moving a lot of air.

And no one can really try and say that out of production cars an M3 isn't one of the most optimized from the factory.

Old 01-01-2011, 05:00 PM

sorry for the post *****, I can't edit apparently. Mod please condense.

Anyway...I to am looking for some more XF mods...

Old 01-01-2011, 11:49 PM

Originally Posted by carelm

Mike
Not quite zero tolerance.

ANY aftermarket modification to the drivetrain in CA must have a CARB exception number to be road legal. Now...can you get away with a lot...yes. They mostly target ricers and tuners with loud or obviously flashy modified cars. Having stock tips on a custom exhaust is one way to do it because you can just show the brochure pic to a cop. If you are running stock or high flow cats you shouldn't really feel bad...as you are still emissions compliant. CARB approval is just expensive to get and makes parts that have it very costly.

Or just buy a CARB approved part.

Anywhere else you really just need to pass emissions...outside of standard laws like decible level (none are lower than 93) and having a cat.