XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Air filter replacement

Old 04-09-2018, 02:37 PM
Received 315 Likes on 224 Posts
Default Air filter replacement

I set about replacing the air filter on my 09 XF, and can't for the life of me, see why jaguar made such an ordinarily, basic 3 minute job, such a nuisance to do.

I had noticed various posts regarding this issue, with suggestions that all sorts of bits had to be removed first! To change an air filter???

As suggested, I removed the 10mm bolt which allowed the entire filter housing to lift somewhat, but even so, didn't quite give enough clearance to get the old filter out, not to mention getting the new one in.

So I removed the three "screws" that hold down the black plastic cover just beside the bonnet catch mechanism. With this cover removed, I placed a large screwdriver down into the open part of the filter housing and levered the lid backwards, (towards the centre of the engine). This allowed the lid to slide off the tangs at the back of the housing.

Result!! Tons of room to remove and replace the filter. Getting the lid to engage on the tangs again was a bit fiddly, but it's do-able.

There are four tangs when two would be plenty and they seem to be longer than needed, making re-assembly harder than needs be.

So, the to do list has a modification of the filter housing on it now. Does anybody know if there is a good reason why Jaguar designed the housing in such a way?

Old 04-09-2018, 03:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,483 Likes on 3,901 Posts

It's getting quite common as they need to be far better sealed than in the past and they're not THAT much hassle to change. (And many now are changed less often than in the past. Well, by the OE schedule. I perhaps change mine too often.)

Last edited by JagV8; 04-10-2018 at 12:53 AM.
Old 04-09-2018, 06:36 PM
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I think the facelift models are easier because i didnt have to use any tools to remove bolts / screws.

Access is available under the passenger side glove compartment. But the access was tight as hell I ended up braking the plastic lock clicker on one side that locks the filter cartridge up. Still, does not seem easy for bigger people or people with back problems but save a lot more money than taking it to the dealer.

Hardest part was putting back the soft footwell trim sheet that covers the area above the foot / below glove compartment.

Old 04-09-2018, 06:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,113 Likes on 2,296 Posts

Hen, the OP is talking about the engine air filter on a 3.0 diesel, unlike the V8 which has two the 3.0 diesel only has one, on the LHS of the engine bay, and it's nowhere near as easy to remove and replace as the V8 ones are.
Anyway, been there done that twice with replacing the cabin air/pollen filter and yes I agree getting that damn "hush panel" back on properly is the hardest part!

Old 04-09-2018, 07:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 95 Likes on 86 Posts

Oh god...I can see another K&N rant coming...lol