XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Any tips for cleaning glossy black wheels?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2016, 07:29 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Any tips for cleaning glossy black wheels?

Just got back from a hand wash / wax, with a fresh scratch in my newly done wheels nonetheless!! Anyways lucky enough guy is coming back tomrrow to finish wheels so hopefully he can touch them up and they car wash call me back with some sort of coupon..

Anyways along with the scratch there is lots of water splash marks that don't seems to want to come out ? What's good for using on glossy black wheels for cleaning. Any tips welcome!

Old 08-20-2016, 08:14 PM
Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by webshark
Just got back from a hand wash / wax, with a fresh scratch in my newly done wheels nonetheless!! Anyways lucky enough guy is coming back tomrrow to finish wheels so hopefully he can touch them up and they car wash call me back with some sort of coupon..

Anyways along with the scratch there is lots of water splash marks that don't seems to want to come out ? What's good for using on glossy black wheels for cleaning. Any tips welcome!
Car soap, water and elbow grease. And if it isn't deionized water, you'll have to dry them by hand if you don't like the spots.

Not trying to be flippant, but there's no magic product. You can always try an alloy wheel cleaner. Many claim to be 'safe' on all finishes, and pH neutral, but how do they work on brake dust and grime if they aren't acidic or caustic? You decide if you are truly comfortable using one of these products on your wheels on a regular basis...

If the spots you have now won't come off with soap and water, then try the gentlest polish you can find, or perhaps a cleaner wax.

Old 08-20-2016, 11:31 PM
Received 125 Likes on 115 Posts

The best thing I found to clean my wheels (inside the wheel) is these micro-fiber dusters. They cost around $10 and the big-box home stores. They are flat and won't scratch the wheels. Just dunk it into the wash/soap bucket and clean between the spokes. Will fit between the rim and caliper.

I also bought a $40 leaf blower and use it to blow dry the wheels and all the bumper, lights, door handles, seals, etc. makes quick work of the job.

Attached Thumbnails Any tips for cleaning glossy black wheels?-image.jpeg  

Last edited by 10 XF Premium; 08-20-2016 at 11:35 PM.
Old 02-03-2017, 03:22 PM
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Give a spray of water, then spray Simple Green all over the wheel. Let soak for a bit and rinse. Then, clean as thoroughly as you can with good car soap and a soft mitt. More than likely you will miss some spots etc which is fine. Before they dry, spray with Turtle Wax Spray and Dry spray (should be about $5 at Walmart) all over the wheel. Wipe/clean the spray off the wheel with a good n soft cleaning cloth making sure to get every surface area of the wheel. Voila! Some shiny wheels. My black wheels that I painted look like I just finished painting them every time!

Old 02-09-2017, 11:02 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Hey there, I actually own a detailing company, and the best product i've ever used is from the OBSSSSD Line up, if you'd be willing to order it. A little on the expensive side, but Works like a charm.

The link is :
OBSSSSD Products OBSSSSD Wheel Cleaner | Auto Obsessed™

Another great alternative is the Chemical Guys Diablo Wheel cleaner (just google it if you'd like)

And the best way to stop water spots is to get any kind of blower and blast the water off immediately after washing your wheel.

Old 02-10-2017, 11:30 AM
Veteran Member
Received 315 Likes on 242 Posts

Switch to ceramic brake pads and never worry about brake dust again. I have had them and currently have them on everything from a stretched Lincoln Town Car limo, to a Porsche 911, to a Lotus Esprit, and even on my V12 Lambo Murci. I definitely have them on my 2 XF's, and it's so much better not being that donkey cleaning brake dust every 2 days.