XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Bad Timing Chain, SC Snout, etc.

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2017, 10:13 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy Bad Timing Chain, SC Snout, etc.

Hi All,

Been some time since I posted here, but wanted to get your advice on this. I recently took my 2010 XF Supercharged with 93k miles to the dealer for an oil change, and they notified me that I will need to:

1). REPLACE THE TIMING CHAIN COMPONENTS AND THE SUPER CHARGER SNOUT - $10,874.22
2). Replace water pump - $943.87
3). Replace both lower control arms - $1,927.08

Now, I'm no expert, but I know this is a ridiculous amount of money. Having said that, I also know I shouldn't be dumping money into a car with high mileage, even if its significantly less than the quote they gave me.

I still owe 12.5k on the car. Is it time to start looking for a new car before something else goes wrong?

Old 04-20-2017, 01:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 280 Likes on 214 Posts

If you're out of warranty anyway you should probably find a Jaguar independent shop for a second opinion. If you didn't buy it new, you may not know the full history and bear in mind these were $70K cars when they rolled off the lot with the maintenance habits to match, even if you paid half that, the costs don't drop to that of a Honda. Which is why some folks believe a few thousand for an aftermarket warranty is good insurance.

The early model years did have some water pump issues (mine had been replaced at 24K by the previous owner) and given your mileage, I suspect the lower control arms are due to the bushes being worn (hear clunks when going over rough ground ?) - for the Land Rover it's more expensive in parts but cheaper in labour to replace the whole control arm than replace the bushings and you get other things like ball joints "free" when that happens. I'm sure the same is true for the Jaguar cousin.

The timing component issue obviously is the big sticker so a second opinion would be worthwhile although I'm not sure why the supercharger snout would be an issue (or even noticed) unless they spotted a modified pulley....

Only you can say whether you raise or fold on the keep or sell question...

The following users liked this post:
Dimitri_010 (04-20-2017)
Old 04-20-2017, 01:46 PM

Definitely hearing the clunks by driver side wheel when I go over the bumps, so I know that the issue is there.

This will also be the 3rd water pump needing replacement since I got the car with 18k miles on it.

Nothing was ever modified on the car, aside from resonator delete. So not sure how or what went wrong with the SC snout. There is a strange noise coming from the engine though, at idle and when I start the car...almost like a clicking (hard to explain). A mechanic friend of mine actually noticed it the day before I took it in. I'm assuming this noise is related to the timing chain.

Old 04-21-2017, 02:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,483 Likes on 3,901 Posts

Is it a 4.2?

Old 04-21-2017, 09:51 AM

No, its a 5.0.

Old 04-21-2017, 10:26 AM
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Dimitri_010
Definitely hearing the clunks by driver side wheel when I go over the bumps, so I know that the issue is there.

This will also be the 3rd water pump needing replacement since I got the car with 18k miles on it.

Nothing was ever modified on the car, aside from resonator delete. So not sure how or what went wrong with the SC snout. There is a strange noise coming from the engine though, at idle and when I start the car...almost like a clicking (hard to explain). A mechanic friend of mine actually noticed it the day before I took it in. I'm assuming this noise is related to the timing chain.

Have you checked the lower control arm bushings to see if they look ok? In general I don't trust dealerships lol. I know my car had suspension clunk from the driver side wheel and I found out that my shock mount bushing was pretty much melted. Replaced that ($60 for mount) and problem went away completely. I believe stmcknig is right in having a second opinion. Hope everything turns out well.

Old 04-21-2017, 02:00 PM
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

A fellow chicagoan.
EDI auto repair can take care of it.
E.D.I. Auto Repair
It is a bit of a drive outside of the city but this is the shop that fixed my xf supercharged up.
I had a leaking head gasket due to a bad mill from the factory. They pulled the engine, rebuilt the top end, had the heads and deck re-milled and matched, reassembled everything and it cranked the first try. 15k miles later and not a single issue with the engine, purrs and still really roars when you need it.
Ask for John and tell them Keith sent you.