XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Bafflement

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2019, 08:18 PM
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Angry Bafflement

Ok, here's the story. Been lurking here for years but never a problem. Have had maybe 5 different Jags with only the typical nonsense. Currently '08 S-Type SE 4.2 & 2010 XF Premium. As I said, only the typical nonsense, except now the XF has a problem that we are having a difficult time tracking down. One day went out to run errands & parking lights were on, would not shut off, nor would headlights come on, nor would the display that signals delay times. Stalk switch seemed inoperative. Currently car is at independent Jag shop and can't find the problem. Throws error B10A615,switch at stalk is not the problem, nor is the main display cluster, lighting module in trunk (ok, boot...) can kill right side lights but not left. Jag USA says have to do pinout looking for open circuit, so far no luck. Shop (that we have used for better than 15 years) is baffled as am I. Any thoughts? And yes battery is new and fully charged, been down that road on the S-Type. No wonder I drink...

Old 01-14-2019, 10:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 469 Likes on 279 Posts

So here's the code from the workshop manual:

How can you be sure the switch at stalk is not the problem? Have you tested all the pins to it at the switch - and more importantly, at the connector at the instrument panel end, which would show potential (although unlikely) shorts in the wiring loom? I've attached a wiring diagram that should help with pins if you don't have one.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Instrument Cluster - Part 1.pdf (92.8 KB, 144 views)
The following users liked this post:
Jagcrew (01-21-2019)
Old 01-15-2019, 01:00 AM
Veteran Member
Received 469 Likes on 279 Posts

Found some more info in my stash of documentation about how the main switch works:

What this is saying is that the instrument cluster knows what position the switch is in by what resistance it measures between the SW_RET (Pin 6) and the various different switches - DI (Direction Indicator - Pin 1), MASTER_LIGHTING (Pin 4), etc. I suspect that none of the switch positions have NO resistance (i.e. a direct connection to +12v) because this way if the instrument cluster measures no resistance between the pins, it knows that there is a fault with the switch or a short to +12v in the wiring.

Based on this and your code, and the fact that a short in the wiring loom is very unlikely, I'd be testing the switch - measure the resistance between pin 6 and all the other pins - if any show no resistance i.e. a direct short, then you'll know there's a fault in the switch. Looking at the wiring diagram, pin 6 shouldn't have a direct connection to any other pin - they should all show varying resistances. Let me know if you need more clarification with any of this.

Random thought: make sure the trip reset button on the side of the stalk isn't stuck in.

Last edited by davetibbs; 01-15-2019 at 01:07 AM.
Jagcrew (01-15-2019)
Old 01-15-2019, 01:32 AM

Thanks for the info, I will pass on to the shop. They have checked the switch as well as the connections to the cluster. They have all of the schematics and manuals. They have never run across this particular problem before and in researching it I haven't found it documented anywhere else (on line at any rate). I will pass on your thoughts however to verify that they have done this. Thanks...

Old 01-15-2019, 03:03 PM
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2009-2010-2...QAAOSw9g1cKQTZ

For the price of this item id give it a shot.

Jagcrew (01-15-2019)
Old 01-21-2019, 04:23 PM

Found a broken wire in the lighting logic switch (main switch). Problem resolved! Thanks for the help!

The following 2 users liked this post by Jagcrew:
davetibbs (01-21-2019), JagV8 (01-21-2019)
Old 01-21-2019, 04:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,483 Likes on 3,901 Posts

Well done - and thanks for the update!