XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Be careful on your upgrades.

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2013, 12:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 256 Likes on 200 Posts
Default Be careful on your upgrades.

Didn't want to hijack someone's thread so I will just refer to it.
Reference thread.

When making numerous mods to these cars, you may be devaluating it for the retail resale market. Trading in a modified car is sometimes very difficult. Dealers do not want to try to sell one that has been modified very much. It may be worth it in a private sale to someone that has the same tastes as yourself, but for the most part heavy modifications will devaluate your car on the retail market. Have fun with your cars, but don't be disappointed if you can't get what you think your car is worth to you!

The following 2 users liked this post by hlgeorge:
axr6 (04-15-2013), Executive (04-15-2013)
Old 04-15-2013, 12:53 PM
Received 2,183 Likes on 1,355 Posts

Yeah we have XKR 2010 with exhaust(loud). Its grey and any panel that could be removed and painted black was. Like hood vents, fender vents and foglight bezels etc. It looks retarded and normally these do not sit. This one is though. If youre the previous owners on here. Sorry exhaust i can deal with, but the paint black and grey just looks retarded on the car

Old 04-15-2013, 02:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 331 Likes on 235 Posts

hlgeorge,

That's a very good point as i would personally never purchase a modified car.

And, you run the risk of getting warranty void.

Old 04-15-2013, 08:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 624 Likes on 528 Posts

I assume you are refereing to non-OEM accessories or modificaitons, not to the short list of OEM accessories available for these cars?

Old 04-15-2013, 08:10 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by jaguny
I assume you are refereing to non-OEM accessories or modificaitons, not to the short list of OEM accessories available for these cars?
Absolutely!

Old 04-15-2013, 08:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 594 Likes on 422 Posts

Originally Posted by Executive
hlgeorge,

That's a very good point as i would personally never purchase a modified car.

I second that, as well as second what Brutal said.

Albert

Old 04-15-2013, 08:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 281 Likes on 260 Posts

Well duh.

Old 04-16-2013, 08:16 AM

Please read the magnusson moss warr. act before blanketing the if modifyed youll void the warranty. thats BS. now increasing the boost with a pulley swap and then having a drivetrain issue like engine tran diff failure, that a very argueble point. but if youre engine is modded and youre ABS sensor fails, or wheels bearing gets noisy etc....that has no bearing on the modification. Its not a blanket VOID, just as if you came in here and brought say your own part for a repair that we installed. we dont warranty YOUR part, but just our labor for the repair. If your part fails, and we have to replace it, then you pay again for the labor. If you buy a part from a repair shop, then parts AND labor are covered. Putting exhaust on a car does nothing to affect the warranty of the car, just dont come in complaining about a rattle Also the reason many dealers DONT want to take modifyed cars, are the points made already, AND that customers think that because a car they bought from the dealer was already modifyed that theres a "implied" warranty, there isnt. Also EVERY aftermarket warranty company Ive ever seen inspection sheets list modifyed yes/no. Modifyed? no coverage. Trying to get something covered by an extended warranty company thats been modifyed is NOT covered by the MAg moss act. read their contract. They look for any reason to deny your claim

Old 04-16-2013, 08:28 AM
Veteran Member

That may be BS in Texas, not around here.

It's not dealership's responsibility to warranty a car, if the check engine light comes on, because somebody altered the exhaust..... regardless of what the Federal Law says.

There is a member on the XKR section who changed his air filters with two different brands and now he's got a warning lights on. He asked for help and your response was the following, "they not only need to be the same brand. but jaguar found out that even the same matching date code"

Can you tell me why any dealership should back up the owner, if it's the owners fault?

Last edited by Executive; 04-16-2013 at 08:36 AM.
Old 04-16-2013, 09:52 AM

Youre misreading, i said that if the part caused the failure then its not a warranty issue now is it! And gave the example that increasing boost on a sc then having a drivetrain complaint for failure and youre gonna be outta luck. Ive never seen a exhaust system cause a check engine light(except convertors) but the same cannot be said for the dual mafs dual air filter R's. Likewise putting a k&n air filter thats not over oiled on a single airfilter , single mafs engine has not caused issue that ive ever seen. Any statement that makes someone think that just because you modify a car will BLANKET void your warranty is BS!!! As long as the modification did not cause the failure i dont know how to more clear sorry

Old 04-16-2013, 10:31 AM
Veteran Member
Default .

I stated the above^

Originally Posted by Brutal
increasing the boost with a pulley swap and then having a drivetrain issue like engine tran diff failure, that a very argueble point.
You proved my point.

It's not dealership's responsibility to warranty a car, if the check engine light comes on, because somebody altered the exhaust..... regardless of what the Federal Law says.
I stated the above^

And gave the example that increasing boost on a sc then having a drivetrain complaint for failure and youre gonna be outta luck.
You proved my point.

Youre misreading
Doesn't seem that way.

The following users liked this post:
Brutal (04-16-2013)
Old 04-16-2013, 10:54 AM

Thanks im wrong youre right, i guess i better stick to what i know best, fixing cars and staying off forums...later

Old 04-16-2013, 12:30 PM
Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

It's been my credo that if a car isn't awesome stock it isn't worth buying, then I leave it that way!

Coincidentally, of the 5 or 6 used vehicles I've sold, all but one have gone to the first viewer (that one went to the second viewer) and I've been asking very good prices for all of them.

Old 04-16-2013, 12:59 PM
Veteran Member

I got the Mina cold air intake kit for my 04 XJ. Ran fine for a while, but on a return trip from FL, as I was merging into traffic to return to the freeway, the car stumbled and would not accelerate well at all. The engine light came on and a reduced performance message appeared. I continued my trip and it cruised just fine, but would not accelerate fast at all. I took it to the dealer to have it checked out and they determined that it was caused by the cold air intake. Luckily, I saved all the OEM parts and returned them to the car and no more errors were indicated. BUT, I had to pay the complete diagnosis fee because I put a non OEM part on the car that caused the problem. Lesson learned!

p.s. - FOR SALE: One Mina cold air intake for 4.2L XJ cars. Cheap!

Last edited by hlgeorge; 04-16-2013 at 01:06 PM. Reason: p s
The following 2 users liked this post by hlgeorge:
Blackcoog (04-16-2013), Executive (04-16-2013)
Old 04-16-2013, 01:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 203 Likes on 156 Posts

Now that you are running the OEM part have you had any issues since? Did the dealer tell you what the check engine light code was? Was the code a random misfire or a dirty MAF code? That hesitation and restricted performance issue has always been "dirty injectors" accroding to my dealer. My engine light code was for a random misfire that wasn't enough to trip the light on but enough to log it and pop the restricted performance light until a restart. They cleaned them and it did help for about 6-7 months until a recent light that went away after a restart. I do have K&N filters. Maybe I'll pick up a set of stock matched filters and try those out if I have the issue pop up again. I realize you have the 5.0L and I have the SC 4.2 but it sounds like the exact same issue.

Last edited by Blackcoog; 04-16-2013 at 01:08 PM.
Old 04-16-2013, 01:13 PM
Veteran Member

Just put the OEM parts back on the car. The OEM MAF was used on the Mina intake. I have heard some post that the MAFs on these cars are very sensitive and putting an oiled filter on the car can transfer some oil residue on them and make them give false readings. Remember this is a car that I sold in October '12.

Old 04-16-2013, 02:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 203 Likes on 156 Posts

Thanks for the post, I'll look into it. Sorry for the confusion I thought you were talking about the 2012 XF even though you said 04 XJ in your post.

Old 04-16-2013, 02:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 281 Likes on 260 Posts

Modifications by their nature reduce the field of potential buyers.

To the right buyer you can get value but finding the right buyer is more difficult.

In extreme cases there may be only one other person in the entire World who wants your modified car. He probably just bought an unmodified version and plans to do his own.

Old 04-16-2013, 02:55 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Blackcoog
Now that you are running the OEM part have you had any issues since? Did the dealer tell you what the check engine light code was? Was the code a random misfire or a dirty MAF code? That hesitation and restricted performance issue has always been "dirty injectors" accroding to my dealer. My engine light code was for a random misfire that wasn't enough to trip the light on but enough to log it and pop the restricted performance light until a restart. They cleaned them and it did help for about 6-7 months until a recent light that went away after a restart. I do have K&N filters. Maybe I'll pick up a set of stock matched filters and try those out if I have the issue pop up again. I realize you have the 5.0L and I have the SC 4.2 but it sounds like the exact same issue.
Blackcoog,

The air filters may be your problem. Replace them with OEM filters and let us know if that fixes the issue.

Good luck!

Old 04-16-2013, 04:18 PM
Received 177 Likes on 120 Posts

I don't think most people who modify their cars actually delude themselves into thinking they're making solid investment decisions or are doing it with resale in mind, and a lot of them really don't care. But, if they are concerned, they'll usually do mods that are reversible and/or include the original equipment in the sale. I've actually had phenomenal luck selling my modded cars in the past, even though I certainly wasn't expecting to get out anywhere near what I put in. For most of us, it's a hobby that we don't mind paying for, similar to any other entertainment cost, like playing golf or taking vacations. Additionally, if the mods are done with attention to detail and a clear respect for the car, it will show through and some of the money can potentially be recouped. But, if someone is making half-*** mods, that'll show through, too. Case in point, one of my clients just spent $110K on a low mileage '09 911 Turbo (997T) that had approximately $50K in mods already done to it, for his second car (his daily driver is a M-B S550). The guy who did the mods and sold the car probably had enough money that he didn't really care about ROI, and my client was apt to take advantage of someone who made all of the "right" mods with meticulous attention to detail. One of the main selling points was all of the upgrades, which made the car simultaneously unique and faster than all of the rest out there. The guy who sold it probably had fun with it for a few years and moved onto something even better, while my client got one of the baddest cars on the road at a significant discount from what he would've paid to do the mods himself. They both won.

Last edited by Reaxions; 04-17-2013 at 01:08 PM.

Quick Reply: Be careful on your upgrades.