XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Control arm bearings

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2017, 11:02 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Control arm bearings

This is the first jaguar I've owned and I just came up on a new issue. I need replacment bearings for the lower front control arms. I'm still under warranty but they won't cover it because the bearing is replaceable. But if it was the whole arm they would cover it.

Old 04-12-2017, 11:04 PM

Originally Posted by Moe Farrag
This is the first jaguar I've owned and I just came up on a new issue. I need replacment bearings for the lower front control arms. I'm still under warranty but they won't cover it because the bearing is replaceable. But if it was the whole arm they would cover it.
Does anybody know
how much I should expect to pay to replace the left and right side bearings. My dealership is asking for 900. The parts only cost 112 dollars so I don't find t reasonable to pay almost 800 dollars in labor

Old 04-12-2017, 11:12 PM
Received 316 Likes on 243 Posts

So is this a control arm bushing, or a wheel bearing, 2 completely different things...... from the picture below, #8 this control arm bushing is common to fail, and the bushing in #7 as well. #6 is the actual wheel bearing assembly. You can get the whole arm, or you can get the bushing separate for both #7 and #8. Do you have a copy of the repair order or the piece of paper saying what you need to replace, can you scan it and upload it here?

COMPONENTS

ItemDescription1Subframe
2Spring and damper assembly
3Upper control arm
4Wheel knuckle
5Stabilizer bar link
6Wheel hub and bearing assembly
7Lower lateral control arm
8Lower forward control arm
9Stabilizer bar

The following users liked this post:
Moe Farrag (04-14-2017)
Old 04-13-2017, 04:27 AM

yes my mistake it is the control arm bushing not the bearing. I dont have a work form unfortunately, i was getting it aligned by my trusted tire shop and he told me they need replacing. ive also noticed it when driving sounds like somethings knocking when it goes over small bumps or cobble stone.

Old 04-13-2017, 05:37 AM
GGG
Received 16,798 Likes on 12,167 Posts

Does anybody know how much I should expect to pay to replace the left and right side bearings. My dealership is asking for 900. The parts only cost 112 dollars so I don't find t reasonable to pay almost 800 dollars in labor
Welcome to the forum Moe Farrag,

That's not an unreasonable labour cost for removing, pressing out the old bushes, pressing in new bushes, refitting and checking suspension settings.

It will undoubtedly be possible to get a lower quote from an independent and the work is not beyond the capabilities of a competent DIY'er which would then make it parts only cost.

Suspension bushes wear on all Jaguar models. It's something that needs to be factored in to ownership costs. For example, a member with an XK8 recently posted about having the upper and lower front supension bushes replaced and was delighted to pay 'only' £2300 for the work.

When you get a minute, please follow this link New Member Area - Intro a MUST - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum to the New Member Area - Intro a MUST forum and post some info about yourself and your vehicle for all members to see. In return you'll get a proper welcome and some useful advice about posting to the forum.

Graham

Moe Farrag (04-14-2017)
Old 04-13-2017, 01:31 PM
Received 89 Likes on 66 Posts

Try Pasadena Motorcars and ask for Owen. They specialize in late model Jaguars. He worked for Jaguar in Pasadena and now owns Pasadena Motorcars.

Moe Farrag (04-14-2017)
Old 04-13-2017, 06:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 438 Likes on 387 Posts

That's honestly not a bad price - they can be a real pain to get off and on. You might need realignment afterwards too

I'd expect you could shave a couple of hundred off with an indy. Or tel your dealer you really want to go with them and see if they will flex a little on the price

I assume you have the CPO extended warranty? We had similar issue on our Land Rover - and CPO covers replacement parts like the whole arm (with bushing) but not the bushing alone which the CPO contract explicitly states is excluded.

Moe Farrag (04-14-2017)
Old 04-14-2017, 01:39 AM

Originally Posted by BritCars
That's honestly not a bad price - they can be a real pain to get off and on. You might need realignment afterwards too

I'd expect you could shave a couple of hundred off with an indy. Or tel your dealer you really want to go with them and see if they will flex a little on the price

I assume you have the CPO extended warranty? We had similar issue on our Land Rover - and CPO covers replacement parts like the whole arm (with bushing) but not the bushing alone which the CPO contract explicitly states is excluded.
yes exactly it is a cpo and i have the same problem

Old 04-16-2017, 02:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 491 Likes on 292 Posts

Originally Posted by GGG
.............Suspension bushes wear on all Jaguar models. It's something that needs to be factored in to ownership costs.

Graham

Is there any "average" length of service, and/or better replacement part?

Old 04-16-2017, 03:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,430 Likes on 1,940 Posts

Originally Posted by leadfoot4
Is there any "average" length of service, and/or better replacement part?
I had to have the front 'banana' arm inner bushes replaced at about 80k miles. The symptom of failing is wear on the inner shoulders of the front tyres as the wear allows tracking out when the car is in motion, even if the car tracking is correct when checked stationary on the ramp. Really bad cases can have the arm banging on the subframe. My X350 didn't get that bad, BTW.

Rear lower wishbones are also notoriously short life, but improvements were made to the bushes so they do last a bit longer now. Still not enough, though !

Old 04-17-2017, 06:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 491 Likes on 292 Posts

Originally Posted by Fraser Mitchell
I had to have the front 'banana' arm inner bushes replaced at about 80k miles. The symptom of failing is wear on the inner shoulders of the front tyres as the wear allows tracking out when the car is in motion, even if the car tracking is correct when checked stationary on the ramp. Really bad cases can have the arm banging on the subframe. My X350 didn't get that bad, BTW.

Rear lower wishbones are also notoriously short life, but improvements were made to the bushes so they do last a bit longer now. Still not enough, though !

Thanks for the response! I have only 32,000 miles on the XF at this point, so I think I'm good for a while.....

Old 04-18-2017, 05:47 PM
Received 316 Likes on 243 Posts

Just a FYI for those of you on this thread who have vehicles with the same front suspension set up, the facelift S-Type 03 & up, the XJ X350, XK X150, XF all use the same bushings for the control arms in the front, they just have different part numbers in the parts catalogue. I have the part number for the bushing in the curved/banana arm. C2P17090 (genuine ) I believe is for the XK, but will fit the models I listed above. The one for Lemfoerder is LEM29783, this number was from a year ago, so may have changed, but hopefully helps.

The following 2 users liked this post by JBzXJ40:
Bigg Will (04-19-2017), Reaxions (10-26-2020)