XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Coolant type question

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2016, 10:34 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Coolant type question

I've completed my performance mods and am going to do the Bosch 010 pump upgrade next week and will flush the coolant then. I've researched what coolant type to use to no avail.

The easy answer is Pentofrost SF (G12+), but 12+, ++ and E all meet ASTM D-3306 which I believe is equal to or better than the Jaguar/Ford WSS-M97B44-D specs.

So the next easy answer is that all 3 are compatible.

Pentosin - Antifreeze

Considering SF was originally made in the mid 90’s and there is now PF ++ (G12++) and that is now replaced by PF E (G13) It appears the only difference that should matter is ++ and E both contain silicates. PF E (G13) sounds to be the best of both worlds.

My question is: Would PF E (G13) be better to run than SF?

Thanks,
Darren

Old 12-02-2016, 08:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 203 Likes on 156 Posts

On the site it specifically states that Pentofrost SF is compatible with Jaguar 1997+. The Pentofrost E is not, but you are right they both meet ASTM D-3306. I'd bet you could use Pentofrost E as long as the system was flushed. You probably don't want to mix the stock coolant with Pentofrost E.

If it were me I'd use the Pentofrost SF. The specs look nearly identical so I'm not sure why you'd want to use Pentofrost E. Just because its newer doesn't mean it's necessarily better.

Old 12-02-2016, 11:09 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Blackcoog
Just because its newer doesn't mean it's necessarily better.
Very good point. It just got me thinking that the latest 2 types of Pentosin ++ and E both added in silicates and has me wondering why. Considering SF, ++ and E are all interchangeable, why would Pentosin go through the trouble to add silicates back in after they removed them in 1996? There must be something there that made them go through R&D and expense to make the new versions of extended life coolants. If not, we'd still be using the green stuff from the 60's.

I know it lists jaguar 1997- for SF. It would seem that is the last spec Jaguar gave but my point is that ++ and E are newer, still meet the same spec and add silicates. E has to be compatible as it meets the spec. I guess my question comes down to silicates or no silicates.

There are pros and cons to silicates.

Cons:
They can be abrasive but ++ and E both have a much lower amount of silicates compared to old coolants.

Pros:
"Silicates protect very quickly, so if there's some mechanical breakdown in the silicate protection, it re-forms very rapidly. For example, a water pump may suffer cavitation erosion/corrosion (a high coolant/ambient temperatures issue, particularly with certain cooling system designs). That means that as the coolant passes through the pump, bubbles are produced, which then collapse with explosive force, pockmarking the internal parts of the pump. That pockmarking is erosion, the marks being exposed, unprotected metal. If the inhibitors work quickly, the damage stops after minor corrosion. If they work slowly (as with organic acid inhibitors), the pockmarked areas corrode for a longer period".

++ & E have silicates and OAT = best of both worlds?