XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Coolant warning light

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2011, 06:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coolant warning light

Anyone having issues with the coolant warning light coming one? The first time I checked it at it was low, but I didn't find any leaks. It came on again today...still can't find a leak. Any clues on what might be causing this?

Old 01-01-2012, 09:34 AM
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Yes, it may have gone way to low and let some air in. On a cold engine start and open the fill cap let run for a few minutes a see if you get a blup blup of air coming out and cap. HTH.

Old 09-02-2012, 12:03 PM
Default Coolant warning

hi I had same problem with my XJ8, kept checking and filling, Then the car dumped all its coolant. I thought the worst ,but it turned out to be the thermostat .I also changed the filler cap . hope this helps.

Old 09-02-2012, 08:48 PM

It has to be going somewhere! If you fill it, check the tailpipes on cold start and see if you get smoking out the tailpipe. Mine is in service for a new head gasket. Apparently it's a known problem with jag. It's not the head gasket itself, it's a thread problem on the block.

Old 09-05-2012, 01:35 PM
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

OP - Was the fluid low the 2nd time to you checked, or did the light come on even though the fluid was full?

Old 04-08-2013, 11:55 AM
Veteran Member
Received 203 Likes on 156 Posts

I pulled my 09 XF Supercharged out of storage last week and noticed a tiny bit of white smoke out of the exhaust on start up. It was cold out so it's hard to tell if it was coolant white or steam white. Then when I pulled it out the coolant light came on and it was about 1 quart low. If it does smoke it's very little but I scheduled an appointment to get it looked at since it is under warranty still. Hopefully it isn't a head gasket issue.

Old 04-09-2013, 07:01 AM
Veteran Member
Received 357 Likes on 174 Posts

In a few 4.2 and 5.0 l motors I have looked at in my buying process I have seen that the 4.2's seem to have either a coolant tank or hose get a small leak in them, and the 5.o's seem to have had the water pumps replaced. This is just from my experience when shopping and looking at records.

Old 04-09-2013, 07:57 AM
Veteran Member

I haven't noticed a leak under the car but that belly pan could catch it all and it could blow off when driving. I'm dropping it off a the dealer tomorrow.

Old 04-09-2013, 09:20 AM
Received 172 Likes on 117 Posts

Yep, I had the same light. It was caused by a leak and I had to have something replaced. I don't remember exactly what it was because it was covered under warranty (so I didn't really care).

Old 04-09-2013, 11:37 AM
Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

We have an 09 XF NA and in January we were having the low coolant warning light come on now and again. The light was correct, coolant was low and went off after filling it up. On the third go round, we took the car to the dealer who determined that the water pump needed replacing. Since then, all has been fine. During the time when the warning light was coming on, I noticed a few 09 XF owners here on the forum needed new water pumps also. A somewhat common problem???

Old 04-10-2013, 07:17 AM
Received 70 Likes on 58 Posts

yes...it is the water pump. it's a common 5.0 liter issue. I had to replace mine at 60,000, and it was out of warranty so it set me back $1200. it's a common issue, and an unfortunate one because water pumps should not fail until at least after 100,000 miles. DON'T MESS AROUND WITH THIS...go to your dealer or you're eventually going to overheat the engine.

Old 04-11-2013, 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by XFactoR
yes...it is the water pump. it's a common 5.0 liter issue. I had to replace mine at 60,000, and it was out of warranty so it set me back $1200. it's a common issue, and an unfortunate one because water pumps should not fail until at least after 100,000 miles. DON'T MESS AROUND WITH THIS...go to your dealer or you're eventually going to overheat the engine.
Mine didn't even last to 10K miles. Clearly, a very common issue. Best to get it diagnosed and replaced under warranty, if at all possible.

Old 04-12-2013, 09:12 AM
Veteran Member

I'm starting to really hate my dealership/service adviser. No issues were found and they charged me $225 for diagnosis. Apparently, the bumper to bumper warranty is up and the certified 100K warranty only covers critical components (no diagnosis???). Anyone else know anything about that?

-$100 to check a check engine light for restricted performance that popped on last week. It went away after the car was restarted. They said it was carbon on the injectors and put some injector cleaner in. They charged me another $40 for the cleaner. They cleaned the injectors last year (less than 5k miles ago) and I run the cleaner through the car every few tanks like they recommended. Idiots! I can check my own light with my scanner I didn't need a BS fee. It's under warranty so it should be covered.

-$40 to pressure test the cooling system and top it off. Pressure didn't drop so no issue was found. I doubt they even looked for any coolant around the water pump even though I suggested that as a common issue.

-$65 to swap in two new plastic clips on the seat-belt adjuster which jammed the seat belt.

I was under the impression everything would be covered. The dealer never called me to tell me they were dumping injector cleaner in. It already has a can of injector cleaner in this tank. I don't need another in there. I told my adviser I had been running it. He should have called me.

I paid for the bill because it was a busy day and I wanted to get out of there. I may call back and complain. No way will I be going back there any time soon unless there is an obvious failure that a monkey can diagnose. I can fix my own issues but I was under the impression the warranty would cover it.

Last edited by Blackcoog; 04-12-2013 at 02:05 PM.
Old 04-12-2013, 09:34 AM
Received 70 Likes on 58 Posts

Blackcoog...where are you located?

Old 04-12-2013, 09:41 AM
Veteran Member

Another major issue I just noticed. That dealer just pulled and reinstalled my trim panels a month ago because they fixed an issue around the sunroof. Those seat belt clips must have been broken at that time. It was the passenger seat belt and I rarely have a passenger. It's unlikely I broke it but not impossible I suppose.

I'm in Minneapolis, MN

My dealer: Jaguar Land Rover of Minneapolis

I just called and left a message for who I think is the service manager. I guess we will see what happens. I don't think the rates were unreasonable I'm just unhappy I wasn't told up front I would owe money for their diagnosis.

Last edited by Blackcoog; 04-12-2013 at 09:47 AM.
Old 04-12-2013, 02:02 PM
Veteran Member

The manager called back and proposed a $100 refund to my card. I was fine with that. I don't want to get off scot-free. I could have pushed for more but it wasn't really the point of the complaint. I want to be notified when I'm being charged. The manager was nice guy and I'm glad he called back and offered a partial refund. I may have to tip toe around that service adviser in the future which I'm not looking forward to...

Old 04-12-2013, 03:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 256 Likes on 200 Posts

Hennessy Jaguar here in Atlanta (They have 3 Jaguar/Land Rover dealerships here) will always tell the customer of any charges that he may have to make B4 doing any work. If a car is out of warranty, there usually are diagnosis charges you will have to pay. Although the diagnosis is performed by a computer, the dealership has to pay for that expensive Jaguar diagnosis computer they are required to have.

Old 04-13-2013, 07:47 AM

What kind of injector cleaner are they dumping in your tank? If you're using Premium fuel, it's my understanding that it shouldn't really need anything else added. If you are using Premium, it's likely that the carbon buildup would be on top of the valves, as our cars are dfi and the detergents don't wash over the tops of the valves (as they do in non-dfi). I think they have to be either manually cleaned, or you could maybe spray some Sea Foam directly into your air intake before an oil change. That type of top-of-valve carbon buildup is apparently very problematic in Audi dfi's and a few other makes, but I was told by one of the Jag techs that because of our engine's dfi design, it hasn't really been too much of an issue.

Last edited by Reaxions; 04-13-2013 at 09:14 AM.
Old 04-13-2013, 09:26 AM

Actually, come to think of it, I now remember that the tech told me that the fuel treatment they use to remove the top-of-valve carbon buildup was just like the Sea Foam option I mentioned above, and they don't put anything directly into the tank.

Old 04-13-2013, 03:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 256 Likes on 200 Posts

BG 44K! This is what most auto shops use and is not easy to find. I had a 1988 Rolls Royce that started to have an engine shake. I called my RR service guy and he said to run a can of BG 44K in the next few fill-ups. The engine soon became as smooth as when new!

With newer cars, lower miles and better gasolines today, it would be very unusual for the engine to gum up under 100K miles.

Quick Reply: Coolant warning light