XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Cost of a set of TPMS?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2012, 10:07 AM
Veteran Member
Received 281 Likes on 260 Posts

I will also report my experiences. My new set of winter rims with correct TPMS sensors is going on the car in the next few weeks depending on the forecast. I have the codes recorded but I understand the car's ECU should read the new codes automatically. After all, if you switch a wheel to a different location on the car the TPMS discovers where that wheel is without recoding. I know because I rotate my tires.

Old 10-23-2012, 06:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 624 Likes on 528 Posts

Spoke to my tire dealer today. To read existing TPMS they connect to OBD port in car to try to read codes. He conveyed they usually have success doing this and then transfer the codes to new TPMS. If they can't get it to work they remove tire bead from one tire and access TPMS to get actual code from unit.

So if you are buying a used TPMS, I would expect that if code doesn't match existing cars TPMS you would need to have recoded.

If everyone can continue to report actual experiences that would be useful.

Old 10-23-2012, 06:30 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by jagular
I will also report my experiences. My new set of winter rims with correct TPMS sensors is going on the car in the next few weeks depending on the forecast. I have the codes recorded but I understand the car's ECU should read the new codes automatically. After all, if you switch a wheel to a different location on the car the TPMS discovers where that wheel is without recoding. I know because I rotate my tires.
When you switch wheels the codes are unchanged so I would expect the car could pick them up. That's based on my limited understanding of this issue to say the least, but it makes sense. If you have new TPMS, the codes would need to match the existing in order for the car to read them, (I would expect).

Old 10-24-2012, 01:54 PM
Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by jaguny
Spoke to my tire dealer today. To read existing TPMS they connect to OBD port in car to try to read codes. He conveyed they usually have success doing this and then transfer the codes to new TPMS. If they can't get it to work they remove tire bead from one tire and access TPMS to get actual code from unit.

So if you are buying a used TPMS, I would expect that if code doesn't match existing cars TPMS you would need to have recoded.

If everyone can continue to report actual experiences that would be useful.
But wondered what the tool is they use to re-code the second set of sensors to the existing codes?

Old 10-24-2012, 06:28 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by cwood
But wondered what the tool is they use to re-code the second set of sensors to the existing codes?
That I didn't find out. My wheels are due tomorrow and I am traveling next week. Expect to put the set together the following week and can get the specifics.

Old 10-24-2012, 07:07 PM
Veteran Member

The issue is whether the TPMS ECU can pick up four new TPMS transmitters without some recoding by the jaguar dealer. If you have to go to the dealer every time a new TPMS sensor is required then this whole system is totally stupid. It's already totally useless.

Old 10-24-2012, 08:13 PM

The issue is whether the TPMS ECU can pick up four new TPMS transmitters without some recoding by the jaguar dealer. If you have to go to the dealer every time a new TPMS sensor is required then this whole system is totally stupid. It's already totally useless.
It would seem from my experience that it cannot. I supposedly have OEM sensors. I think what is being proposed is that the codes on the original wheel sensors can be cloned into the second set so the codes are the same on both sets.

Last edited by cwood; 10-24-2012 at 08:15 PM.
Old 10-25-2012, 08:35 AM
Veteran Member

Then why do they come Pre-coded? We shall see in a month or so. My existing Pirelli Sottozeros still have 5 mm of tread left. Hopeless in snow but still grippy enough on ice. My new set of Sottozero Serie II are on my nice new TSW BBS lookalike alloys waiting at my tire shop for el cheapo here to finally decide the old tires are worn out!

Old 10-25-2012, 09:09 AM

Then why do they come Pre-coded? We shall see in a month or so. My existing Pirelli Sottozeros still have 5 mm of tread left. Hopeless in snow but still grippy enough on ice. My new set of Sottozero Serie II are on my nice new TSW BBS lookalike alloys waiting at my tire shop for el cheapo here to finally decide the old tires are worn out!
I think that they all do....its up to the OEM to have the receive side pick them up. I think the way the Jag system operates is different than the way the manual states.

It seems that if you want a second set of codes to work then they have to be manually input rather than picked up automatically as suggested.

Old 10-25-2012, 02:15 PM
Veteran Member

Well, I have the four new codes as recorded by my tire guy before he set the beads. Then he numbered the tires on the inside sidewall and matched the code recorded to the appropriate number. If manual entry of codes is required then we have the data.

Old 10-25-2012, 02:27 PM

Well, I have the four new codes as recorded by my tire guy before he set the beads. Then he numbered the tires on the inside sidewall and matched the code recorded to the appropriate number. If manual entry of codes is required then we have the data.
Really looking forward to hearing the outcome. I was bummed when I drove and followed the instructions and still had that damn warning up all winter. I was planning for this season to have a shop break the bead, get the codes and close them up again. When do you plan to swap?

Old 10-25-2012, 06:19 PM
Veteran Member

The way my tire dealer explained it is that he will "Clone" the new TPMS with the codes from the exiting. The car doesn't now any different and will read either set.

If they are properly coded the car should pick them up. If they are not coded to the car's ECU then they will not work. At least that's what I understand.

I also understand some manufacturers TPMS do not need to be coded and the car will pick up the code of the TPMS.

Unfortunately my wheels arrived today and what's is in the boxes does not match my order or the shipping ticket. Will need to sort this out before I can mount my winters.

Old 11-02-2012, 05:45 AM

Any update from the guys who were about to make the swaps? I'm waiting to see if I get codes from current summer rims and then find someone that can push them into the winter sensors (once I know what tool is used so I can then go on a quest for a shop with whatever that is) OR, open the snows and get the codes from the winters for entry into the car by the dealer. I can't see paying the dealer to enter the codes each spring and fall though. Wonder if the ECU can hold onto two sets worth of codes?

Old 11-02-2012, 08:11 AM
Veteran Member

Next week I intend to fit my aftermarkets with a fresh set of sensors. I have the codes written down by wheel. I will be able to tell you by Friday of next week.

Also, the Owner's Handbook (p 216 in the electronic version of the handbook available at the Topix site, don't know which page it is in the paper version) suggests that the TPMS system can detect and register a new TPMS sensor if the car is left stationary for 15 minutes, then driven for 15 minutes at speeds in excess of 25 km/hr then parked for a further 15 minutes. There is an inconsistency in the description referring to driving for ten minutes above 25 km/hr.

I shall try to observe those instructions as my new rims are fitted.

Last edited by jagular; 11-03-2012 at 05:00 PM.
Old 11-06-2012, 02:43 PM
Veteran Member

The news is good. No problem with the car picking up the four new sensors right away.

My tire guy just put the wheels on and I just drove off. The TPMS dash light went out as usual and stayed out.

My guess is if you specify Jaguar OEM style TPMS sensors then the car could care less which ones are there as long as there are four.

Interestingly, two of each bore exactly the same codes two sets of two identical codes, i.e I have two pairs of TPMS sensors with the same code on each pair.

Old 11-06-2012, 03:47 PM

The news is good. No problem with the car picking up the four new sensors right away.

My tire guy just put the wheels on and I just drove off. The TPMS dash light went out as usual and stayed out.

My guess is if you specify Jaguar OEM style TPMS sensors then the car could care less which ones are there as long as there are four.

Interestingly, two of each bore exactly the same codes two sets of two identical codes, i.e I have two pairs of TPMS sensors with the same code on each pair.
Remind me what year your car is?

Old 11-06-2012, 06:07 PM
Veteran Member

2009 luxury. 18 inch wheels for both summer and winter tires.

Old 11-06-2012, 06:22 PM

Ok, one would assume that a 2010 would share the same method of picking up another set of sensors. I have gone back hard at the supplier who claims they are Jaguar OEM inside my snows. He says he will send me 4 new. Wonder if I could test them by taping them in the wheel wells to see of they pick up before making the move of breaking them all down to replace?

Old 11-06-2012, 06:42 PM
Veteran Member

Unfortunately my wheels will not be here if all goes well until Thursday or Friday. I hope to get them and the new winters installed by Saturday. Will continue to monitor. Another forum member is having a problem with his TPMS on his new wheels, SICK XF. I suggested he post over on this thread so we can get his story as well. He has a nice set of new Lexani's by the way.

Old 11-06-2012, 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by jaguny
Unfortunately my wheels will not be here if all goes well until Thursday or Friday. I hope to get them and the new winters installed by Saturday. Will continue to monitor. Another forum member is having a problem with his TPMS on his new wheels, SICK XF. I suggested he post over on this thread so we can get his story as well. He has a nice set of new Lexani's by the way.
What is his issue?

I realized I can't test the new ones without them being under pressure in some way. Will probably just have to mount them and see what happens.

Last edited by cwood; 11-06-2012 at 08:13 PM.

Quick Reply: Cost of a set of TPMS?