XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Cost of a set of TPMS?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2012, 08:05 PM
Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

I just got my winter tires put on and the guy at the shop said..."I was researching your car, and apparently it's self learning". I drove home (about 15 miles with 1 stop on the way) and the light never came on. Hoping it stays that way!

Old 11-06-2012, 08:13 PM
Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Donk
I just got my winter tires put on and the guy at the shop said..."I was researching your car, and apparently it's self learning". I drove home (about 15 miles with 1 stop on the way) and the light never came on. Hoping it stays that way!
What year and model is yours?

Old 11-07-2012, 05:03 AM
Veteran Member
Received 624 Likes on 528 Posts

Originally Posted by cwood
What is his issue?

I realized I can't test the new ones without them being under pressure in some way. Will probably just have to mount them and see what happens.
Sick XF's issues is on his 2012 XF-he bought a new set of wheels and sensors and sold his OEM set. He had the new wheels and sensors mounted and now had the TPMS malfunction light.

Old 11-07-2012, 06:18 AM

Hope he chimes in. There is definitely some complexity here. Should work as it did for Jagular and that is consistent with the manual.

Old 11-07-2012, 08:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 281 Likes on 260 Posts

Maybe he got the wrong sensors fitted. Or maybe he didn't let the car sit stationary with the new wheels fitted for long enough before driving off.

Old 11-07-2012, 09:01 AM

what year and model is yours?
2010 sc

Attached Thumbnails Cost of a set of TPMS?-winterw.jpg  
Old 11-07-2012, 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by Donk
2010 sc
so identical to mine. Grrrrr

Old 11-09-2012, 06:38 AM
Veteran Member

Correct wheels came in last evening. Hopefully winter and new wheels, TPMS installed today. Will report back on TPMS findings.

Old 11-10-2012, 11:41 AM

Detroit Wheel and Tire sent me another 4 sensors to try. If you are interested, this is what they look like. Ford Part.

Not going to invest in doing anything yet until there are a few more reports on the swaps on the forum.

Old 11-10-2012, 02:15 PM
Veteran Member

Unfortunately, I was sent another set of wheels that I can't use, this time right design, but with the wrong offset. Frustrating to say the least.

I did talk to the tire dealer, they use a programmable TPMS and put it on a machine they own where they dial in the VIN and it supposedly programs the senor for the car. They can also code the sensor directly if they have the existing TPMS codes.
It's going to be unitl a week from Monday or Tuesday till the now third set shows up.

Good thing it isn't snowing yet.

Last edited by jaguny; 11-12-2012 at 08:22 PM.
Old 11-10-2012, 02:25 PM
Veteran Member

Detroit Wheel and Tire sent me another 4 sensors to try. If you are interested, this is what they look like. Ford Part.

Not going to invest in doing anything yet until there are a few more reports on the swaps on the forum.
The code is the sequence stamped on the bottom edge of each sensor, not the printing shown in the photo. Just record those and mark the wheel each sensor goes into.

The Jaguar system is self learning. It seems a key element is not to drive the car too soon after fitting the "new" wheels. The car should sit stationary for 15 minutes after the fourth wheel is installed, then drive at speeds above 25 km/hr for at least 15 minutes before parking again.

Old 11-12-2012, 02:57 PM
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Sorry for the delay. I have been meaning to post to this as well. So I have a 2012 XF which was ordered with 20 in Hydra wheels and 255/35/20 tires all around. I ordered new set of wheels and then the issue began. When I ordered my wheels I made sure to order new sensors as I sold my OEM's complete tire, wheels, and sensors. New wheels ordered are Lexani CVX-44 staggered. 20X9 front and 20X10.5 rear. New tires are 255/35/20 Front and 285/30/20 Rear (Falken 452's).

So after install all was well. This was for about 2 days, no lights no issues. Then upon start up I received a malfunction code. Not your typical low air code but MALFUNCTION with System code. I called the tire shop to ask and they were clueless on anything. I then asked specifics on tire sensors ordered. They order from a company called Oro-Tek. I decided to contact them directly and check web site. Per website the sensors ordered were for my car. I sent an email to contact us on their website about my problem. Immediately I received a call from a guy at Oro-Tek asking me details about my issues. He as well was thrown off on why they worked for 2 days then code came on. He asked for all details of vehicle and wheels and is going to have me come by their shop which happens to be local to me to diagnose the issue. I think I will be getting over there this week and will update everyone on their thoughts.

I think one of the biggest issues is the tire pressure the tires on car require. From initial investigating the car factory requires 34psi. The new setup requires 42psi. Per Oro-Tek the system will only allow for a 25% gain in pressure before it malfunctions. This may be the cause for some TPM sensors to be rejected by car when all four are above this limit. This is only my initial thoughts but will be going over this with Oro-Tek when we meet. They said their equipment can scan the sensors as well look at car computer for settings. I hope they can figure it out. If not my next stop will be Jaguar. I did call the service dept. and they guy said I had to bring the car in to have them look at it. Before I shell out $$$ for this I wanted to give the sensor manufacture a shot at it. Also the tire shop did not write down sensor info, but I am sure Oro-Tek can scan this and give to me if I do need to have Jaguar do anything with them. I will get to the bottom of this as the Malfunction code is annoying and lights up my entire dash after every start. I am not sure if the above or future info will apply to the rest of you but whatever I find out I will relay.

Old 11-12-2012, 06:14 PM
Veteran Member

42 psi? Are you sure? This seems awfully close to the maximum permitted pressure.

You should follow Jaguars spec, not some wheel guys opinion. If the tire manufacturer disagrees with jaguar then you have to go with the tire manufacturer but 42 psi just seems wrong.

Old 11-12-2012, 08:31 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by jagular
The code is the sequence stamped on the bottom edge of each sensor, not the printing shown in the photo. Just record those and mark the wheel each sensor goes into.

The Jaguar system is self learning. It seems a key element is not to drive the car too soon after fitting the "new" wheels. The car should sit stationary for 15 minutes after the fourth wheel is installed, then drive at speeds above 25 km/hr for at least 15 minutes before parking again.
Whats the purpose of marking each wheel if the sensor is read automatically? Is it just to have a record? What happens is one sensor goes bad and just that sensor is replaced? Does the automatic system read the new sensor as well?

I know my tire dealer said he is coding the new sensors with the exact codes as the existing sensors, so the car should not know the difference.
Seems unnecessary, based on what you are saying, unless these sensors have no existing code of their own.

Old 11-12-2012, 08:53 PM
Veteran Member

This recoding is just BS. Jaguars system is self learning. If a new sensor is installed the TPMS reads the code and updates itself.

I recorded the codes so that I had them if needed. Mine learned the four new sensors with no issues.

Old 11-13-2012, 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by jagular
This recoding is just BS. Jaguars system is self learning. If a new sensor is installed the TPMS reads the code and updates itself.

I recorded the codes so that I had them if needed. Mine learned the four new sensors with no issues.
Agreed. plug and play!~