XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Could the Key FOB help reset warning lights?

Old 06-22-2016, 07:07 AM
Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts
Question Could the Key FOB help reset warning lights?

Monday night I had something bizarre occur to me, as a rookie 2009 Jag XF owner - but to many of you, you may be laughing at me. Here's what happened:

I pulled into a gas station to buy a bottle of water. I had turned to the right as I pulled up to the curb, so the tires were facing towards 1-2pm. When I got out, I noticed the tires were partly on top of a steel sewer cover, which was roughly 2" from the surface of the pavement.

(Prior this entire time, my TPMS light was on for a few days, as was another light for the fuel filler cap - both being complete nuisances since there was nothing to worry about as they were false warnings. I planned to see the dealer for a reset.)

Anyway, when I returned to the car, it would not start - but the radio and AC powered up. Looking on-line, I found (solution 1) where a guy recommended taking the key FOB over 50 feet away so as to wipe out any false reading and try again. Another website I also found (solution 2) a recommendation from a technician to insert the key into the internal "docking" station as the key battery might be low, and finally (solution 3), make sure the brake pedal could be pushed all the way down, which entailed me straightening the tires off of the rim of the steel sewer cover - so I tried all three.

Magically, the car started!

Not only did the car start, but it has reset so no longer is the fuel filler cap warning or TPMS warning flashing.

Since I attempted 3 ideas at once, I am not sure which caused the car to start, but I surmise it was mostly the brake pedal being able to push farther down after I straightened the tires.

I have no idea why every warning light reset, but am wondering if it has anything to do with using the docking station with the key.

Wondering if anyone else has had this kind of experience or am I the lone idiot? (Albeit only a 10 minute fiasco, still somewhat embarrassing as I blocked the parking lot!) I'd love to know if the key can effect a reset for all these nuisance warnings?

Thanks for reading !

Old 06-22-2016, 11:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 436 Likes on 385 Posts

Hi - interesting question. I don't think it's anything to do with straightening the wheels. The brakes, calipers and rotors move with the wheels so it doesn't matter whether they are straight or at an angle. Most likely the key fob wasn't registering correctly and inserting it into the slot helped

I'd suggest spending the 3 dollars to change the key fob battery. Aside from that I find its more reliable to lock the car when you leave it and unlock when you come back. That way everything powers off / resets properly. You may have been close enough to the fob that it was still detecting it while you were out of the car

The following users liked this post:
Dallas Rockford (06-23-2016)
Old 06-23-2016, 07:24 AM
Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by BritCars
Hi - interesting question. I don't think it's anything to do with straightening the wheels. The brakes, calipers and rotors move with the wheels so it doesn't matter whether they are straight or at an angle. Most likely the key fob wasn't registering correctly and inserting it into the slot helped

I'd suggest spending the 3 dollars to change the key fob battery. Aside from that I find its more reliable to lock the car when you leave it and unlock when you come back. That way everything powers off / resets properly. You may have been close enough to the fob that it was still detecting it while you were out of the car
The point you make about the calipers, etc is valid. I'm wondering if the switch is connected to the brake pedal which seems to vary based on how the wheels are turned.

Most likely - you are correct and it's key related. Hopefully, it won't happen again. Still don't understand why it reset, though I am very happy those warning lights are gone.

Thanks for replying.

Old 06-23-2016, 08:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 436 Likes on 385 Posts

If you have other electrical issues have the battery on the car itself tested / replaced. As you'll have seen from many posts on this board the electrics are quite sensitive to a weak battery
Enjoy the car!

The following users liked this post:
Dallas Rockford (06-24-2016)