XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Current Search for XF SV8

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2017, 05:19 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Current Search for XF SV8

Hi All

Following on from my newbie post:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/new-member-area-intro-must-5/new-member-currently-searching-xf-192350/#post1793953

I
am on the hunt for an XF SV8. All the cars I am looking at seem to be around the £10k mark which plays nicely into my budget. Except one... There is on for sale at less than £7k. The ad seems to suggest that it is in excellent condition with full main dealer service history. The only downside is that mileage has crept over 100k. If what they are saying is true then I guessing the dealer took it in part exchange and justs wants to clear it asap. Now high mileage cars don't worry me usually. I have 2 cars currently, one at 120k and the other at 180k. But being new to Jags I wanted to ask if anyone has a high mileage SV8 and can comment on how they have been at this sort of age. All searches online seem to say they are very reliable cars but most of these reports come from 60-80k owners. Would be reassuring to hear the same things form 120-140k owners.

I understand there aren't many of these on the roads so it might be that high mileage ones just don't exist but you never know!

Max

Old 11-16-2017, 10:07 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,484 Likes on 3,902 Posts

I think the engine's good for 200K+ and the trans may well be but probably hasn't had its fluid replaced and needs it (about every 70-80K - you can debate whether 100K).

Suspension may be worn at that age & mileage but hey it's a car....

The following users liked this post:
Pippin (11-20-2017)
Old 11-20-2017, 04:47 AM

Thanks. Yeah usual wear and tear items don't bother me. Just the reports on the cars seem pretty good. not many major faults happening but they all seem to be low milage cars. Hoping someone won't come along and say "oh yeah the superchargers fubar themselves after 120k" or something similar.

Old 11-21-2017, 12:04 PM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Might be worth having a read on the S-Type forums - I believe the SV8 shares an engine with the S-Type R (someone please correct me if I'm wrong!), and there are way more STRs with 100k+ miles on their engines.

Having been in your position this time last year, I'd suggest not going for the cheapest example on autotrader as it may be a bit of a dog! £7k is worryingly cheap...

Old 11-21-2017, 07:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 438 Likes on 387 Posts

Key question is whether you are looking at a 2009 model or a 2010 onwards. The 2009 used the older 4.2l V8 engine. The 2010 onwards have the 5.0l V8 (except the base non supercharged mode in USA in 2010 which retained the 4.2L).
So most people on here with the SV8 will have the 5.0

I would suggest that maintenance history and being well looked after is prob more of a concern than miles directly.

Good point above that the S type R was I believe the same 4.2 engine so that should give you an indication

Old 11-21-2017, 08:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,128 Likes on 2,306 Posts

Originally Posted by BritCars
Key question is whether you are looking at a 2009 model or a 2010 onwards. The 2009 used the older 4.2l V8 engine. The 2010 onwards have the 5.0l V8 (except the base non supercharged mode in USA in 2010 which retained the 4.2L).
So most people on here with the SV8 will have the 5.0

I would suggest that maintenance history and being well looked after is prob more of a concern than miles directly.

Good point above that the S type R was I believe the same 4.2 engine so that should give you an indication
The OP is in Blighty where there was only ever one SV8, the 4.2 SC, and it lasted for one year only - 2008 - before it was replaced with the 5.0 SC XFR in 2009.
The model known as the SV8 in the USA is a different car.

Old 11-22-2017, 02:27 AM

Thanks all. I should explain a little further. I am an automotive engineer by trade so I know what to look for when it comes to whether a car has been looked after or not (as well as anyone can, there are still tricks to hide such things). And I'm not aiming to cheap out. I'm more than willing to spend the £10k average for one (or even a little more) as its still a hell of a lot of car for the money. The car in question seems good on first impressions and has full main dealer service history etc. And definitely if anything seems wrong at the time then I would walk away without hesitation. What I'm trying to gather is if there are any known issues when the engines get to that sort of age. For example, if someone said at 120k the injectors start getting to the end of their life then I would back down and go for a lower mileage car. I'm going to have a look at it. Some dealers over here take cars in part exchange and just want to get rid of them so offer them cheap to keep the turnover of cars high. I am hoping this is one of those, in which case I could get the bargain of the century.

As said I am in the UK so we only got the 4.2 SV8. They didnt sell many but there are still a handful for sale. Looking at the S type R pages is a good call. I will give that a go!!