XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Dead Battery...again...

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2019, 01:15 PM
Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Dead Battery...again...

Two years ago, I had my battery replaced by the dealer - being a 2009xf, I believe that battery lasted 8 years. The new battery at that time (2017), was made in Germany, 900 amps.

Now this battery is not holding a charge. Each time I start the car over the last few days, its weaker and weaker.

I see Autozone has a battery that will fit this car (will have to double check that info of course) for $200 bucks. They give a 2 or 3 yr warranty. I will probably freeze my @ss off and put it in today or tomorrow, unless someone resuces me with a better idea.

I know Jags take a lot of juice to start and run, but I am really disappointed in this battery. Dealer is gone, closed, sold. And now too far away to make it worth it to chase him anyway.

Thank you for considering my plight!

What are others experience with the longevity of these batteries? (Car is 4.2L ; no SC.)

Old 11-11-2019, 11:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 345 Likes on 250 Posts

You want the XF250 forum.... That being said, if the new battery was of correct size it should last more than two years. I don't think it's the battery but rather something either draining it or not charging correctly.

Old 11-14-2019, 01:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 861 Likes on 709 Posts

Sounds like a quick trip to your neighborhood starter and alternator rebuilder (most larger cities have one or two) will pay big dividends: he will check the charging circuit (likely a bad board in the alternator), the grounds and straps for continuity, and the battery. Changing batteries before doing this check would waste money.

Old 11-14-2019, 03:03 PM
Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts
Default dead battery....

Originally Posted by Jhartz
Sounds like a quick trip to your neighborhood starter and alternator rebuilder (most larger cities have one or two) will pay big dividends: he will check the charging circuit (likely a bad board in the alternator), the grounds and straps for continuity, and the battery. Changing batteries before doing this check would waste money.
Thanks for trying to help. I measured the power in the battery and it turns out it was being recharged but not holding the charge, so I'd say it was something faulty with the battery itself. These jaguars suck a lot of energy out of them and it's been pretty cold where I live so I think that was kind of the end of the battery. and the nice thing is the batteries are only roughly two hundred bucks and thank God I put it in myself or it would have even cost more!

Old 12-19-2020, 10:27 AM
Received 109 Likes on 82 Posts

Dallas,
It sounds like you are comparing your OEM battery, which lasted 8 years,
with that of a German made (Varta?) replacement battery that lasted 2 years.

You are right in suggesting that a battery should normally last more than 2 years.
But a bad alternator (with limited output capability) would probably cause a depleted battery in less than a week of driving.

As with oil filters, there are "good" "better" and "best" quality levels in battery world.
The "Best" ones tend to be "heavier" for the same capacity ratings, as they feature thinner and more plentiful electrodes, the cranking amps are higher, and the separator technology may also be better quality.
OEM's generally contract with the premium series from the largest battery manufactures... while generic auto parts stores tend to procure lower grade products.

oh.. BTW, I just depleted the battery on my F-type due to an OBD2 dongle being plugged in for a few weeks...
So I will see if I can rejuvenate my OEM battery (4 years old), before considering an Auto Parts Store replacement.

Herminator

Old 12-26-2020, 12:19 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,166 Likes on 1,324 Posts

One other possibility:,have you had an OBDII reader pluged in to the port recently? - if you did not install tge new battery yourself it is entirely possible that the installer did - and this is a known cause of battery discharge exactly as you are describing (you can check the F-Type forum for this) . The cure us easy. In the trunk, find the ground connection from the battery to the floor panel (that is its usual position, but just follow the ground from the battery negative lead to where it bolts to a bidy panel. Disconnect it at that point. Wait 30 seconds and reconnect securely. This reboots everything including the battery maintenance system.
it does no harm, and it takes less than 5 minutes.

Old 12-26-2020, 03:29 AM
GGG
Received 16,826 Likes on 12,179 Posts

Originally Posted by Dallas Rockford
Two years ago, I had my battery replaced by the dealer - being a 2009xf .....
Although posted more than a year ago and you will long ago have resolved this, I've moved your question from X260 (2015 onwards) to X250 (2007 - 2015) forum. This is the place to post techncial questions about your model.

Graham

Last edited by GGG; 12-26-2020 at 03:31 AM.