XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Dead and then Dead Again - Help Please

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2013, 05:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dead and then Dead Again - Help Please

First of all I apologize if this has been answered, I searched and went back 4 pages and saw nothing to help

1) i own a 2010 XF Premium. 12000 miles, purchased new from dealer
2) I have had the car for a couple years now
3) a month ago the car would not start and had no juice - called and had it towed to local jag dealer. They replaced the battery did the recalls and 20K service. Drove it a few times in the month and then
4) locked car with keys in garage where it is always parked and went on vacation for 2 weeks
5) went to drive it yesterday and could not open doors. called towing again, took 30 minutes to get enought charge in the Brand New Battery Jag put in it less than 4 weeks ago
6) dealer called today, told me nothing is wrong with the car, there is no electrical drain. They recharged the DEAD battery and told me it was good to go.
7) I discussed with him that this should not be happening and they need to find the problem. He said that I should not leave it parked for more than 2-3 DAYS without driving. I told him I drive it to the airport and leave it for a week at a time - how can i confidently go on my business trip, return to the airport at midnight and hope my car would start. I told him I have owned several dozen new cars over the years and NEVER had this issue. He suggested I put it on a trickle charger when not in use. I told him they need to find the issue.

How is this even possible? Brand new battery dead after 1 month, 2 weeks of it parked. The doors were locked and the keys nowhere near it. I have had the car for over 2 years with this not happening and now all of a sudden dead twice in a month and I need to charge it if not driving for 2-3 days.

How to I get this fixed.
what do I need to tell the dealer to do?
What is my recourse with Jaguar?

Old 01-04-2013, 08:15 AM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

First, the dealer is dead wrong. I have an XF, XJS, and XJ8, and an X-type. None are my daily driver, none sit on a trickle charger, none have trouble starting when asked. Four weeks should be no issue.

Second, find a good indpendent shop in your area to do a drop test and battery load test for you and document their findings. Assuming there is a drain you can return to the dealer with info that they would be pretty hard pressed to dismiss.

If you don't get anywhere with the dealer then call 1-855-JAGUAR-USA

The following users liked this post:
firstxf (01-05-2013)
Old 01-04-2013, 09:00 AM
Veteran Member
Received 687 Likes on 590 Posts

I've moved your post to the XF section where it will get the best replies but, basically, Wes is right.
The dealer is talking nonsense and you must have a drain if the battery is OK.
Running a battery down really flat is very bad for it so get both the tests Wes suggests done.
If you've got a digital ammeter (and if you haven't then buy one!) you can measure drain yourself by disconnecting the +ve lead and connecting the meter on the amps range between the +ve battery post and the +ve lead.
Make sure everything is switched off - either remove the boot bulb or jam the switch.
Current should drop to 50 mA or so after half an hour.

firstxf (01-05-2013)
Old 01-04-2013, 09:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 331 Likes on 235 Posts

Did the dealer reflash the car to stop the battery from getting drained? They are supposed to.

firstxf (01-05-2013)
Old 01-04-2013, 12:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 281 Likes on 260 Posts

There was a reported fault with the ICE software not switching off the standby mode and draining the battery. There's a fix for this apparently.

firstxf (01-05-2013)
Old 01-04-2013, 01:45 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

From what i know there is a update for the ice system but it was probably done on your last visit to the dealer, but also this vehicle has keyless start where you just have to have the key near or in the vehicle to start with the ignition button, as you have the key in the garage with the vehicle for 2 weeks this leads me to believe the vehicle is still communicating with the key and not going to sleep mode and killing the battery, try keeping the key out of range of the car in the house not garage, just my 2 cents hope this helps

firstxf (01-05-2013)
Old 01-04-2013, 03:55 PM
Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

very interesting. firstxf, do you keep your key near the car?

Old 01-04-2013, 04:53 PM
Received 136 Likes on 93 Posts

The new battery from the dealer may have sat a long time before it was put in your car and not had a full charge. I have purchased new batteries in the past and put them on a charger to check to find they had very little charge in them.

Old 01-04-2013, 05:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 624 Likes on 528 Posts

I believe the OP stated the after the reflash and new battery the keys were no where near the car.

Old 01-05-2013, 05:39 AM

thanks ALL!!!

I was wondering why i wasnt getting any hits on the post - wrong section :-)

So dealer called back yesterday. He asked if they could keep the car into next week. Said they are going to work with corporate to troubleshoot the issue. Which means to me they found something overnight after I was insistant they keep the car until the issue is found.

I had found something a couple nights ago about the ICU flash after the new battery installation - from 2002. And I mentioned it to my service advisor or whatever they are called in Jag terms. I also mentioned a service update from a couple years ago that was killing batteries after it was done. He listened but dont think he wrote it down.

I will ask them for to see the print out from the load and drop tests.

The keys have been stored in the same location for the 2 years I have had the car - a floor up and a room over. I thought of that as well, but 2 years is a long time for that not to drain it before.

Old 01-06-2013, 07:20 AM

Hello firstxf -had a battery issue myself recently. My battery didn't die, but, did get low enough to flash a warning and cause the dash to light up like a Christmas tree. After reading this forum - i made same recommendation about software upgrade. They replaced the battery and reflashed. Less than two weeks later, the motor was on fire in my driveway after a short outing. Glad they are keeping it overnight and being thorough. I would have much rather done without mine for a couple of days. As i type this - i am almost 30 days with no car and no resolution in sight.

Old 01-06-2013, 01:51 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Dead again

This may be a little off topic. I have a 2012 xjl 1 year old and never had a battery problem. From day 1 it has always remained locked whether in the garage or any where else. Just my habit. If you notice all the xjs in the showroom are on trickle chargers. It would have been nice if Jaguar would have alerted to potential fob/ battery problems when the car is left unlocked or the keys too close to the car

Are people still experiencing this or was it resolved for 2012-13 models xj and xf?
This is my first car with push bottom start. I never paid forit on my mercedes as it was an expensive option

Old 03-14-2013, 11:45 AM
Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Is there any way to determine on your own if this ICE flash has been done? I'm having some battery drain issue...beyond annoying. I'll get the car into the dealer but I want to know what's going on as much as possible before I go in...

Old 03-14-2013, 05:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 281 Likes on 260 Posts

Originally Posted by wannajag
Is there any way to determine on your own if this ICE flash has been done? I'm having some battery drain issue...beyond annoying. I'll get the car into the dealer but I want to know what's going on as much as possible before I go in...
Just call Shandie at Jaguar of Calgary with your VIN and I'm sure she can look it up on her computer for you. She's one of the service advisors there and she's very helpful and knowledgable.