XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Drilling out lug stud due to sheared lug nut cover?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2017, 12:29 PM
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Drilling out lug stud due to sheared lug nut cover?

I did not check the lugnut torque after a tire shop replaced my left rear tire a year ago from a road hazard claim.

Unfortunately, I just found out that they over-torqued the ever living crap out of the lug nuts. While removing the left rear lug nuts, one was torqued so tightly that the lug-nut cap (most idiotic design "feature" I've ever seen for a lug nut) has sheared off. The shop that handles my cars says they'll need to drill out the stud to get it off.

What part would I need to replace if I drill out the stud (the threaded part)? Just a single stud, or will the entire hub have to be replaced?

In either scenario, where is the best place to get these parts from? Any guidance with part #s and best pricing would be appreciated.

Old 10-16-2017, 01:18 PM
Received 125 Likes on 115 Posts

The lug cover can be carefully "cut" off using a small, flat blade screw driver and a small cold chisel. That exposes the steel nut under the chrome cap.

Then use a socket to remove the old lug nut.

If the threaded lug stud is damaged, they can be hammered out of the hub and a new stud pressed back in.

There are a few videos online how to remove those caps without damaging the wheel or stud.

The video below has a guy being very crude but you get the idea.
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...C0&FORM=VRDGAR

The way I do it to keep from messing up the alloy is: Make a hole in the end cap of the cover (like the video), then carefully use a small flat screw driver and open the end all the way up, then use a small cold chisel and go down the side of the nut, between the cap and the steel nut core. The chisel will split the cap down the side and then you can pull it off, exposing the nut.

Old 10-16-2017, 01:19 PM
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

See here: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...g-nuts-189671/

If you have a spare deep 18mm socket, that's what I used. Slammed it on there with a sledgehammer. I know this sounds a bit stupid, because it is, but I didn't have much else of a choice. Worked pretty well. I had four spares from my locker lugs, but they absolutely need to be replaced with solid lugs.

As far as drilling ou the studs, I don't have any information on that, sorry. Fortunately I managed to avoid having to do that.

Old 10-17-2017, 02:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,484 Likes on 3,902 Posts

The individual studs can be changed if you need to do that.

Old 10-17-2017, 06:40 AM
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Unfortunately the inner nut sheared off along with the outer chrome cover.

Best place to source individual studs for quick shipment? Jaguar only sells the entire hub assembly, and the place on ebay people have listed ship from outside the US and I'm somewhat pressed for time.

Old 10-17-2017, 05:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,126 Likes on 2,304 Posts

I have bought replacement studs from a local car parts retailer (Repco), perfect fit, cost me about $6.00 each. They are M12x1.5, with 8-340 stamped into the head.
I seem to recall on another thread the supplier name of "NAPA" being a place you can buy them in the US. To be sure, best bet is to remove a stud if you can and take it into the shop.

Old 05-05-2019, 07:03 AM
Veteran Member
Received 491 Likes on 292 Posts

OP, I've been through this situation, with the crappy OE lug nuts, in the past, as I came to Jaguar ownership via the S-Type's cousin, the Lincoln LS. When I still had the Lincoln, 2000-2009, I wound up going with the Chrysler lug nuts that were previously mentioned. However, if you plan on keeping your S-Type for a while, I'd strongly suggest the Gorilla Automotive lug nuts, which are now available for Jaguars. They are of the "solid" type, and very good looking. I have them on both our XF, as well as our XJ.

Seems I somehow posted this in the wrong discussion...….

Last edited by leadfoot4; 05-05-2019 at 07:06 AM.
Old 05-06-2019, 10:07 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,236 Likes on 1,765 Posts

I am very close to you!
First found these crappy sheet metal covered lug nuts on my 2003 Lincoln LS, then on my 2005 S Type R and now on my 2014 XJR.
All 3 cars had all 20 lugs nuts replaced with solid lug nuts. No more problems.