XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Faults Galore!!

Old 11-26-2012, 11:49 AM
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
Unhappy Faults Galore!!

We are getting piles of snow where I am and I'm quite happy to say the XF is handling the city streets pretty well. I have however run into some problems. Over this weekend I managed to get the car stuck in a rut right outside of the house. I was playing around a bit with the winter setting as well as the traction control to get myself out and eventually had 2 guys push me out. The car has now been reading a bunch of different faults. I thought they may go away after I let the car rest but this happened yesterday around noon and I checked this morning and they are all still there. This is what the car is reading:
  • Tire Pressure Monitor came on (This is an easy fix I am sure)
  • ABS Fault (Yellow Warning)
  • DSC Not Available (Yellow Warning and switch will toggle)
  • Winter Mode Fault (Yellow Warning and switch won’t toggle)
  • ASL Fault (Yellow Warning and which will toggle)
  • Cruise Fault (Yellow Warning)
  • EBD Fault (Red Warning)
  • The engine light is on
Talked to the dealership and they said I have to bring it in (300 km's away ) However they said they would tow it at their expense.

Anyone have any thoughts on this? Will the faults go away after I drive it a bit? Do I have to get you guys to reset it? Or is it worse and they have to be fixed?

Let me know! Thanks everyone!

Old 11-26-2012, 12:04 PM

Since you were playing in the snow and may have made the lights go on you can reset the codes and see if they come back? Autozone scans codes for free and if you take the scanner from them you can clear them yourself. Costco and Walmart both sell a scanner for about $100.

The TPMS light is probably due to the cold you should check your tires and air em up.

All your faults are probably due to the rear wheels spinning with the front wheels stationary.

If it were my car (which is still under warranty) I would clear the codes and see if they came back.

The following users liked this post:
AaronW (11-26-2012)
Old 11-26-2012, 03:05 PM

Yea the TPMS have come on earlier in the season and I put air in all 4...then heated up the tires and probably lost some air from spinning them so I could probably inflate again. Any problem in clearing the codes and them not coming back? Do any of the scanners work on it? My dad has one and he's going to come over tonight and we will try that. Hopefully that fixes it up. The EBD fault says that I am not to drive the vehicle at all. Anyone have anything on that one? My car is still under warranty as well so maybe I will try that route. Thanks for the advice XF - Xtra Fast!

Aaron

Old 11-26-2012, 06:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 281 Likes on 260 Posts

Sounds possible that a wiring connector has become dislodged. All those functions take a signal from a wheel speed sensor wired to the suspension side of the hub, except TPMS which is not wired from the wheel but the receivers are right beside each wheel.

Jaguar instructions in the handbook for various settings of TRAC, winter mode and transmission selector choices work exactly as they say I've tested them all here in Calgary.

300 km to the dealer? Is your dealer in Saskatoon? I thought there was one in Regina?

Do you have an extended warranty? If so then let them pay to flat deck tow it both ways.

None of those faults should prevent you from driving. If you routinely drive in Canadian winters you don't need any of those electronic aids, they are just nice to have. TPMS fault is likely a false signal but carefully check actual tire pressures before driving. Be aware that unless your car has been fitted with a full set of better upgraded TPMS tire valves the original ones are known to leak and sometimes fail catastrophically. Worth getting the upgraded parts installed, even of not warranteed. These TPMS sensors only last five or six years before the internal batteries can fail.

Last edited by jagular; 11-26-2012 at 06:21 PM.
The following users liked this post:
AaronW (11-26-2012)
Old 11-26-2012, 07:10 PM

Thanks for the note Jagular.

Here is an update.

Father came over with his scanner to reset the faults to see if that would fix the issue. The scanner couldn't connect with the car so it was all for nothing. I decided I would just try to drive it gingerly and low and behold it worked! I turned around in my bay and before I got back to my house (like 50 feet) the ABS light was out and it appeared to be working. I then took it out for a bit of a drive but the traction control still wasn't working and the roads are pretty slick right now. I drove about 500 feet and hit a red light. All the sensors and faults still on the car except ABS. I shut the car off and started it up again. All the faults cleared themselves. The EBD Fault was gone the Winter Mode was working, the Traction control was working, ASL was working and cruise was working. The TPMS was still going off for the rear driver (haven't checked it yet but probably just have to fill it) and the engine light is still solid yellow but I am told that might happen after the faults and may end up having to be reset by the dealer but could probably wait for a more convenient time.

So all in all I have the car back! And to answer your question Jagular no there is not one in Regina just Saskatoon. Think there used to be a shop here that services Jaguar but no dealership. The service guy at the old dealership opened his own shop after the dealership closed.

And no I don't have extended warranty but regular warranty is still active till September 2013 so the dealership said they would flatbed it up there and back if ever undrivable. They were true to their word from this instance as they were setting it up to have mine picked up.

Can't say enough about the service Saskatoon has give men. One of, if not the best, customer service I have ever experienced in my life. Bob in Saskatoon takes care of you and definitely makes you feel like you are priority.

Thanks again for the help but as of now I think I am set! Love this forum and the collective intelligence that comes along with it!

Aaron

Old 11-27-2012, 01:16 AM
Veteran Member
Received 256 Likes on 200 Posts

The 350 XJ8 was notorious for setting many error codes when the battery was weak.

Old 11-27-2012, 08:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 281 Likes on 260 Posts

My 09 threw a check engine light repeatedly for months until Jaguar UK developed a software flash to correct it. If the code indicates an air pump problem then likely you have not had the reflash done on your car. The Saskatoon dealership is owned by the same guy who owns the Calgary dealership. Email me if they don't know about this solution.

Check those TPMS are the new spec. My RR driver leaked twice before they gave up and put a whole new set in. Zero problems since then and I have a second set in my winters.

Old 11-27-2012, 10:31 AM

Hmm interesting. I think for now I will just drive around with the engine light on and throw some air in the tires. (Probably won't hurt hey?) If I get the TPMS going off again then maybe I will inquire about getting new ones but I think it was probably just because I had the wheel spinning 100 km/h while not moving and the other tire not moving haha oops. VWAG owns the Saskatoon one...do they own Calgary too? Based on their site think it's just BC and SK. Either way I will leave it for now and stop in at the dealership when I go up to Saskatoon again and have them clear it. (Guy in Regina wants $100). In the meantime how do you check the TPMS specs? What are you running for winters Jagular? What size of rim and tire? What did it set you back? I was debating but so far it is doing pretty good. Weight of the car matched with wintermode and traction control the handling is MUCH better than I thought it would be.

Thanks again!

Aaron