XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Fitted new DRLs today!

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2016, 02:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 3,126 Likes on 2,304 Posts
Default Fitted new DRLs today!

Well fitted them last Sunday really, just had to get the correct relay and fuse spliced in this arvo as the electrical parts shop sold me the wrong relay to start with.
All wiring design, joining, soldering, splicing, crimping etc etc done by a mate down the road who knows his stuff, I'm completely hopeless at that sort of work!
Properly spliced into the LHS headlight wiring harness as per the factory instructions, so they come on with the ignition and go off with the parkers (sidelights) and headlights.
Two rows of six individual Cree LED "eagle eyes", mounted to home made aluminium backing plates and the plates then glued to the backs of the air intakes/nostrils, so that the eagle eyes sit in the honeycomb holes. Not all 12 are perfectly aligned in the centres of the holes, my fault for not measuring and marking precisely enough, but no-one is ever going to notice.
The camera flash makes them look a little yellow from straight on but they are 6000k bright white and are exactly what I was after.
I'm not aware of any other "classic" XFR with DRLs let alone this particular style of them.
Pics:

Last edited by OzXFR; 02-16-2016 at 02:56 AM.
The following users liked this post:
hiltoncam (02-19-2016)
Old 02-16-2016, 11:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 426 Likes on 306 Posts

Nice job OZ! Sounds like a lot of work to get that done. What was your main motivator? Looks...safety? I've just never understood the appeal of DRL's.

Old 02-16-2016, 12:26 PM
Received 54 Likes on 40 Posts

Looks great!!!

Wanted to do something like this on mine and after some ideas............

you have inspired me

Old 02-16-2016, 12:47 PM
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Those look BRIGHT! I know it's hard to capture in a picture, how do they look with the headlights on at night? Does the color match the HID well?

Clean install too. Very nice.

Old 02-16-2016, 06:06 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by 2010 Kyanite XFR
Nice job OZ! Sounds like a lot of work to get that done. What was your main motivator? Looks...safety? I've just never understood the appeal of DRL's.
Both looks and safety.
On most cars I see coming towards me that are fitted with proper factory DRLs, especially Mercedes, I think they look good. I also notice a car with DRLs much more easily than one without, so I want them on my car also to reduce the chances of some brain dead muppet pulling out on me, which happens all the time here in Adelaide. I reckon in the last 40 odd years of driving here I have had to take pre-emptive or avoidance action at least 100 times in respect of other road users who either didn't look at all or "looked but didn't see". The last prang I ever had was 35 years ago when a 16 year old learner driver pulled out from the kerb and turned straight across me leaving me nowhere to go.

Old 02-16-2016, 06:09 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by jagwower
Those look BRIGHT! I know it's hard to capture in a picture, how do they look with the headlights on at night? Does the color match the HID well?

Clean install too. Very nice.
No issue at night, as they are not on! They turn off when I turn the headlights on, this is an Australian design rule.
Edit - forgot to add, in a couple of those pics it looks like the headlights are on, but they are off, what you see is the camera flash reflecting off the projectors.

Last edited by OzXFR; 02-16-2016 at 08:46 PM.
Old 02-16-2016, 08:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 95 Likes on 86 Posts

Awesome !!! Nice look, and i agree that when I see other makes that have those DRl's I get "led envy" ...hahaha

Old 02-16-2016, 10:07 PM
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

They look fantastic, nice work.

Old 02-17-2016, 08:53 AM
Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Nice touch on both sets of lights!...must look great at night....especially the air intakes...enjoy.

Old 02-17-2016, 03:49 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Gpalace
Nice touch on both sets of lights!...must look great at night....especially the air intakes...enjoy.
Still some confusion here, they are OFF at night (well, providing I turn the headlights on that is!).
One added bonus I forgot to mention.
There is a secondary engine coolant radiator behind the RHS air intake/nostril, but not behind the LHS nostril (except for Middle Eastern countries which got the "hot climate" version of the XFR which has another radiator behind this nostril, for some reason Oz never qualified as hot climate, go figure!). Instead there is a black plastic blanking plate/cover, which I had to remove so the DRL wiring on that side had somewhere to go.
I was worried that without this cover the nostril plastic mesh piece would not properly bolt back on, but it went back on perfectly.
So now I have improve airflow through the LHS nostril.

Old 02-18-2016, 11:29 AM
Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by OzXFR
Still some confusion here, they are OFF at night (well, providing I turn the headlights on that is!).
One added bonus I forgot to mention.
There is a secondary engine coolant radiator behind the RHS air intake/nostril, but not behind the LHS nostril (except for Middle Eastern countries which got the "hot climate" version of the XFR which has another radiator behind this nostril, for some reason Oz never qualified as hot climate, go figure!). Instead there is a black plastic blanking plate/cover, which I had to remove so the DRL wiring on that side had somewhere to go.
I was worried that without this cover the nostril plastic mesh piece would not properly bolt back on, but it went back on perfectly.
So now I have improve airflow through the LHS nostril.
Ok Gotcha a now on the Lights.......More air flow the better!!! Wish I had the air intakes on mine....both look and function...would have to find a hood and match paint.

Old 02-18-2016, 03:27 PM
Received 148 Likes on 80 Posts

Looks good, just curious why you didn't have the dealer activate your DRLs and avoid all the extra wiring/relays? Takes then few minutes with there SDD dealer scanner

Velocity Automotive Performance Limited
214 Maple Ave.
Oliver, BC
Canada V0H 1T9
Office Tel: (250) 485-5126
www.VelocityAP.com
Tuning@VelocityAP.com

Old 02-18-2016, 03:43 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Tuning@VelocityAP
Looks good, just curious why you didn't have the dealer activate your DRLs and avoid all the extra wiring/relays? Takes then few minutes with there SDD dealer scanner
No such thing as factory DRLs on a "classic" XFR, not even as an option. Remember, the classic doesn't have the 2012 on (or "facelift") headlights with the built in J-blade DRLs. On other (non-XFR) "classic" XFs you could get a factory option of "blade" DRLs integrated into the chrome blades which ran across the outer/lower grilles, and you can get Chinese copies of these.
But the XFR has very different grilles/nostrils, so after-market is the only way to add DRLs to a pre-2012 XFR.

Old 02-18-2016, 04:18 PM
Received 148 Likes on 80 Posts

DRL's are available on the classic, I know this because there's an option in your config file for Canadian DRLs or Scandinavian DRLs, all that needs to be done is turn them in with SDD .. What you mean is there's no LEDs to turn on with the classic model..

90% of the time, the DRL's are just the high beams powered by 9V instead of 12V. Then LEDs came into play, factories started turning them on, and sometimes alongside the lower fog lights

I'm in Canada and its the law to have DRLs activated by factory..or else its illegal for the car to be sold/driven/plated, on all road vehicles past 1990.. So if it's sold in Canada, it has a factory option to activate :-)

Velocity Automotive Performance Limited
214 Maple Ave.
Oliver, BC
Canada V0H 1T9
Office Tel: (250) 485-5126
www.VelocityAP.com
Tuning@VelocityAP.com

Old 02-18-2016, 04:47 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Tuning@VelocityAP
DRL's are available on the classic, I know this because there's an option in your config file for Canadian DRLs or Scandinavian DRLs, all that needs to be done is turn them in with SDD .. What you mean is there's no LEDs to turn on with the classic model..

90% of the time, the DRL's are just the high beams powered by 9V instead of 12V. Then LEDs came into play, factories started turning them on, and sometimes alongside the lower fog lights

I'm in Canada and its the law to have DRLs activated by factory..or else its illegal for the car to be sold/driven/plated, on all road vehicles past 1990.. So if it's sold in Canada, it has a factory option to activate :-)
Yep, understand now about NAS configurations. Nothing remotely like that on my Oz delivered XFR as far as I know. I have had access to the ISD/SDD software and an expert operator (that's how I had the XFR-S tune done), and he tweaked all sorts of setting on the car, mostly via the CCF, but there was never any mention of the possibility of activating DRLs. I suspect that the Australian Design Rules (ADRs) do not allow the NAS type of DRL operation so that CCF tweak option is not possible on my car. But maybe it is, time for Cambo to chime in!

Old 03-02-2016, 07:21 PM
Received 4,436 Likes on 2,421 Posts

There is a DRL option on the earlier XF, but as Mr VelocityAP says, it just turns the headlights on at a reduced voltage.

This is how the Canadian and Scandanavian cars were from the factory (as DRL has been a legal requirement for many years).

Also the earlier models like my XJR, the DRL is just having the lights on during the day.

I do think the LED blades look better than just having your headlights on, much more modern.

Old 03-03-2016, 01:04 AM
Veteran Member

So Cam, if my current DRL set-up craps out for some reason, is it possible to tweak the CCF on my car via SDD to enable these NAS style DRLs?
At the moment they are controlled by a "normally closed" (NC) relay so that they turn on with the ignition and off with the parkers or headlights, so having both the current DRL set-up and the NAS style DRLs at the same time seems like a non-starter, I'm just thinking of options should the current DRL set-up crap out.
Yes, I know I could manually turn the headlights on every time I start the car, but that is a bit of a pain and it would also reduce the life of the rather expensive HID globes.
Before I fitted the current DRLs I used to manually turn the parkers on every time I started the car, and use them as "virtual" DRLs. But the stock parker globes are a feeble sickly yellow, so I swapped them out for high powered SMD LEDs or Cree LEDs. Trouble is they never lasted very long and kept conking out, I've lost count of the number of times I have yanked one or both the headlight assemblies out of the car to replace the parker globes, it's gotta be over 20 times now across both XFs. To make things worse quite often the LED/Cree globe would fall apart and leave bits inside the headlight assembly that are a real PITA to get out, and right now I still have a piece left in each parker globe housing, after swapping them back for the stock yellow globes. And then there is the hassle of most of the washer fluid leaking out of the headlight washer hose every time I remove a headlight assembly, and then having to be replaced. It's all these hassles that convinced me that I needed "proper" DRLs!

Old 03-03-2016, 02:45 AM
Received 4,436 Likes on 2,421 Posts

If you really wanted to have Canadian or Scandanavian DRL's (they function differently) then yes it's possible to turn them on. But it's basically the same thing as turning your lights on during the day, no special DRL look like the later cars.

BUT

This can only be done with SDD, so if you change your mind, it's a bit of effort.

At least in my XJR it's an option via the touchscreen to turn them on or off. I don't think this is the case with the XF (not that i've ever checked).