XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Fuel Filling Problems in 2015 Jaguar XF

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2015, 09:25 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Filling Problems in 2015 Jaguar XF

I am wondering if anyone else has a problem with the pump continually shutting off while trying to fill the tank. This has happened ever since I took delivery of the car in May. In July the dealer replaced the fuel fuller neck and the problems continued. In fact, they are getting worse. Yesterday the service manager at the dealership said it depends on how many vents are in the gas nozzle. If there is only one, he said it will never fill right up. So what am I supposed to do...pull into the gas station and ask how many vents are in their nozzles. I have really never heard of anything so ridiculous. I have tried his other suggestions to pull the nozzle out of the tank somewhat, rotate the nozzle, etc. with no success. Getting gas is not supposed to be a 30-minute event. What would ever make a car manufacturer think that this is okay, especially in a car costing this much money. Oh how I wish I had my Cadillac CTS Coupe back! Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I can't imagine putting up with this for the next three years.

Old 09-17-2015, 09:42 AM
GGG
Received 16,767 Likes on 12,155 Posts

Welcome to the forum njburlington,

I've moved your question from General Tech Help to X250 forum. Members here with the same model will be able to help.

Graham

Old 09-17-2015, 10:15 AM
Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by njburlington
I am wondering if anyone else has a problem with the pump continually shutting off while trying to fill the tank. This has happened ever since I took delivery of the car in May. In July the dealer replaced the fuel fuller neck and the problems continued. In fact, they are getting worse. Yesterday the service manager at the dealership said it depends on how many vents are in the gas nozzle. If there is only one, he said it will never fill right up. So what am I supposed to do...pull into the gas station and ask how many vents are in their nozzles. I have really never heard of anything so ridiculous. I have tried his other suggestions to pull the nozzle out of the tank somewhat, rotate the nozzle, etc. with no success. Getting gas is not supposed to be a 30-minute event. What would ever make a car manufacturer think that this is okay, especially in a car costing this much money. Oh how I wish I had my Cadillac CTS Coupe back! Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I can't imagine putting up with this for the next three years.
Instead of using the built in lock feature on the pump handles, try wedging your cap under the handle to hold it up. See if that works.

The following users liked this post:
njburlington (09-17-2015)
Old 09-17-2015, 10:27 AM

Will have the attendant try that next time I get gas in my New Jersey where they pump it for you. The attendants are getting really frustrated when they are busy with a lot of customers and have to keep returning to my car constantly to restart the pump. In Connecticut where I spend a lot of time, I have been told that the locking mechanisms are illegal and have been removed from the pumps. When I was there last week, the pump shut off 19 times while I was holding it and trying to get the gas in the car.

Judy

Old 09-17-2015, 01:04 PM
Received 102 Likes on 49 Posts

I had and currently have that same issue. The dealership has replaced the filler neck twice and replaced the fuel tank once. Unfortunately, the issue still persists.

A fail proof way I've learned to fill the car is by turning the nozzle completely upside down in the filler neck. It looks weird and people may ask you questions as to why the hell you've done this but I assure you it will work with no issue.

I usually tell the curious that it's a British car quirk! Nobody has seemed to question that answer haha!

I'll attach a photo later today when I go fill up.

Edit: Photos attached

Attached Thumbnails Fuel Filling Problems in 2015 Jaguar XF-20150917_123912.jpg   Fuel Filling Problems in 2015 Jaguar XF-20150917_123855.jpg  

Last edited by patrickw813; 09-17-2015 at 02:44 PM. Reason: Adding photos
The following 4 users liked this post by patrickw813:
BostonKiller (09-25-2015), danke (09-17-2015), njburlington (09-17-2015), smile1264 (02-22-2016)
Old 09-17-2015, 03:01 PM

Bear in mind that when I ask these questions, I am a woman. First, do you put the nozzle in the regular way and then rotate it up? Second, isn't there a chance that it will fall out and damage the car? I like that you can have humor regarding your car not filling up. I am having a real hard time not being totally annoyed that Jaguar can sell a car that doesn't take gas the regular way and the dealership really doesn't care. The only thing that keeps me from really losing it over this is the fact that I do like the car.

Old 09-17-2015, 03:58 PM
Received 102 Likes on 49 Posts

Bear in mind that when I ask these questions, I am a woman. First, do you put the nozzle in the regular way and then rotate it up? Second, isn't there a chance that it will fall out and damage the car? I like that you can have humor regarding your car not filling up. I am having a real hard time not being totally annoyed that Jaguar can sell a car that doesn't take gas the regular way and the dealership really doesn't care. The only thing that keeps me from really losing it over this is the fact that I do like the car.
That's exactly it. You put the nozzle in as normal and then you twist it up. I hold the hose just under the handle and use my left hand to engage the filler while also putting the hold switch so it fills until it clicks off.

I have had no issues with the nozzle falling out nor have I ever felt like that was a possibility. Give it a shot and you'll see what I mean!

My XF definitely has quirks that annoy me from time to time but there is still no place I'd rather be than behind the wheel of my XFR!

The following users liked this post:
njburlington (09-17-2015)
Old 09-17-2015, 05:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 436 Likes on 385 Posts

As this is a 2015 car, you must still be in warranty. Sounds like something to have the dealer fix - I wouldn't put up with that. It's clearly not normal. I'd suggest trying the filler pumps in a couple of different stations to ensure it's not something specific about the system at that one location. Assuming it does it everywhere, then have it looked at. Sounds like the air release that keeps the tank system at atmospheric pressure may be blocked up / not working. But whatever it is, it sounds like it's easily replicated so make the dealer fix it! You definitely shouldn't have to put up with that or find work arounds!

Old 09-17-2015, 05:52 PM

Thank you very much for your detailed explanation. I will let you know how that works out the next time I get gas.

Old 09-17-2015, 06:20 PM

Unfortunately, the service manager at the dealership has basically wiped his hands of it. He said they performed the suggested fuel filler neck replacement and there is nothing else that can be done. In the three months that I've had the car, I've been to well over 20 gas stations, all with the same problem. I have always purchased General Motors cars, mostly Cadillacs and Corvettes. I know GM has their share of problems, but they would never treat a customer this way. I agree that I shouldn't have to tell the gas station attendant to turn the nozzle upside down as a work around, but if it works it is far better than spending so much time in the gas station. After the pump shuts off a few times, the attendant isn't so quick to come back again and restart it, which is totally understandable.

Old 09-17-2015, 09:59 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I also experience this issue with my 2015 XF. I do notice that when I push the nozzle as far in as possible the issue is more problematic. I try and keep the nozzle slightly in the tank and the shutting off doesn't happen hardly at all. Although that this seems to work it definitely shouldn't have to be. This is a high end vehicle and filling the tank should not be so difficult. We should all attempt to contact Jaguar USA corporate since the dealer cannot fix it.

Old 09-17-2015, 10:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 312 Likes on 239 Posts

Yea, try filling it with the nozzle upside down. That's what worked on my white XF. But then I got tired of that and had the dealer fix it under warranty. No more problem after their first attempt to fix it, but they didn't say what they did.

My gray XF never had the problem.

Both of my XF's are 2011, so this is not a new problem.

Old 09-17-2015, 10:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 436 Likes on 385 Posts

I would expect better service and support than that. Is there an option of another dealer near you? Seems like if it's an issue that can be replicated, and is clearly not how the car is meant to behave, then the dealer should help you resolve it. Sounds like it's an issue on a number of vehicles - so maybe try involving Jaguar NA.
There was an issue on older 2010/11 cars and I seem to remember mention of a service bulletin or recall for it - according to the carfax my fuel tank was replaced at 7000 miles (before I owned it).

Old 09-18-2015, 01:59 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Surprising that this is still a problem on a 2015 - my 2011 XFR still exhibits this problem occasionally, even though some fuel tank components were allegedly replaced by the dealer a year or so ago, while the car was under warranty. What I have found that works (almost always) is to not fill up until you are down to less than 20 miles of range. The pumps seem to stay "on" without fuss when filling up from empty.

Old 09-18-2015, 02:52 AM
GGG
Received 16,767 Likes on 12,155 Posts

Judy,

I've owned and driven examples of almost every Jaguar in the last forty years and my only complaint with fuel is the amount they use!

The Dealership attitude would be unacceptable to me. To investigate the issue, the service manager should have accompanied you to a fuel station to see what happens for himself.

Fuel pumps in the UK are almost exclusively 'serve yourself' and the pump trigger locks were removed years ago on safety grounds. Over here we've had to get used to filling our own tanks.

If the pump delivers at full flow it will often cut off as the fuel backs up in the vehicle filler neck and activates the pump safety cut out. Pulling the trigger to around halfway prevents this and doesn't unreasonably increase the time to fill the tank. I also agree with the comments about not inserting the nozzle all the way.

Graham

Old 09-18-2015, 08:10 AM
Veteran Member
Received 426 Likes on 306 Posts

Mine did this for the first time on my last fill up. It was at a station that I use all the time. I found that if I pulled it back a bit out of the hole, made sure to keep the rubber boot on the nozzle all the way back and didn't pull the handle more than halfway it went OK.

I've had the same issue with other vehicles at stations infrequently over the years and it usually seemed to be the boot that was the issue. Getting it fully compressed was usually the problem. If I held it back as tight as I could with my left hand and pumped with my right, it usually made it tolerable.

But there have been at least a handful of times I've left with half a tank because I didn't have either the time or patience to fight a faulty pump.

Old 09-18-2015, 09:05 AM

Thank you everyone for all of the comments and suggestions. I will need to get gas within the next few days and will try some of the suggested methods of filling the tank. But I agree with everyone who said that this should not be an issue. I think I will contact Jaguar Corporate and hope that others with this annoying problem do the same.

Old 09-18-2015, 10:00 AM
DPK
Veteran Member
Received 529 Likes on 389 Posts

Judy..also try not opening the nozzle lever full blast along with the other suggestion here..I fill with mine on the lowest possible notch on the handle

Old 09-18-2015, 11:01 AM
Received 163 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by DPK
Judy..also try not opening the nozzle lever full blast along with the other suggestion here..I fill with mine on the lowest possible notch on the handle
I agree. One of the problems is that the filler to tank hose is just barely big enough to flow the gas in at full bore (ie maximum) due to having to restrict (there's that pesky bureaucratic rule determining good engineering....) the discharge of hydrocarbons into the atmosphere, so, if you use the high rate click on the handle...well, it ends up tripping the shutoff.

Of course, in NJ, where the pump jocks can barely speak the native tongue, explaining the right way to do it is an exercise in frustration to get them to not attempt to fill you tank at NASCAR rates. Of course, the fact that NJ gas prices are 50 cents less than across the river in PA (where we pump our own, and I have no problems getting my tank filled) may mitigate that, but I know it's still frustrating.

FWIW, have the same problem when I go into NJ and have to be 'serviced' at a filling station in both my XF and XJ8.

My suggestion? If your dealer is not giving you the service you deserve based on your spending tens of thousands of dollars for a car which is due a higher level of consideration, then certainly a call to JLR is in order.

FWIW, I've been pleased with the service at Reedman-Toll in Langhorne. No financial interest, etc. But, they seem to be pretty good about how they treat Jag customers.

Old 09-18-2015, 04:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 256 Likes on 200 Posts

I am having my 3 years service soon and they tell me that they will perform a TSB on the fuel filler.

Quick Reply: Fuel Filling Problems in 2015 Jaguar XF