XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Fuel Filling Problems in 2015 Jaguar XF

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2015, 05:15 PM
Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Refueling Problem in New Jersey

Hi,

I live in NJ as well as OP and have had refueling problems with my 2012 XF and now with my 2015 XF.

1) 2012 5.0 would fill up fine but fuel gauge would not register full until after having driven for several miles. This was solved with a replacement of gas tank while car was under warranty and the problem never surfaced again.

2) 2015 3.0 SC XF has exhibited same problems as OP and pump shuts off multiple times before fuel tank is actually full. This has occurred at various gas stations, with various gas brands, holding fuel nozzle upside down, etc. etc... However, this does not happen at every fill up and at this point I am not prepared to leave the car with the dealer for a week or so only to be told that they can't duplicate the problems. So for now I am living with it.

I have been experimenting somewhat and did find that that the car will fill up with much less of a hassle if the fuel nozzle is not fully inserted. It will also fill up easier if I have 1/4 of a tank of gas or less left. Both of these methods have already been suggested and are certainly worth a try.

Yes, it can be annoying but I fill up only once per week and I would much prefer to find a method that works without having the dealer start to take things apart only to find out what some have you already stated that there was no improvement. The above two steps have so far been the only methods that have just about eliminated my particular refueling problem.

Ed

Old 09-18-2015, 06:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bdboyle
I agree. One of the problems is that the filler to tank hose is just barely big enough to flow the gas in at full bore (ie maximum) due to having to restrict (there's that pesky bureaucratic rule determining good engineering....) the discharge of hydrocarbons into the atmosphere, so, if you use the high rate click on the handle...well, it ends up tripping the shutoff.

Of course, in NJ, where the pump jocks can barely speak the native tongue, explaining the right way to do it is an exercise in frustration to get them to not attempt to fill you tank at NASCAR rates. Of course, the fact that NJ gas prices are 50 cents less than across the river in PA (where we pump our own, and I have no problems getting my tank filled) may mitigate that, but I know it's still frustrating.

FWIW, have the same problem when I go into NJ and have to be 'serviced' at a filling station in both my XF and XJ8.

My suggestion? If your dealer is not giving you the service you deserve based on your spending tens of thousands of dollars for a car which is due a higher level of consideration, then certainly a call to JLR is in order.

FWIW, I've been pleased with the service at Reedman-Toll in Langhorne. No financial interest, etc. But, they seem to be pretty good about how they treat Jag customers.
You are right about trying to explain to attendants in New Jersey how to try to get the car to fill up. I may give Reedman a try because I am certainly very unhappy with my dealer. I just live across the river in Columbus, New Jersey.

Old 09-19-2015, 06:42 PM

Just came from the gas station. The pump shut off four times before it got to $7.00. I got out of the car and told the attendant some things to try. Wouldn't you know, he didn't understand English. But he did fill the car by putting it in at a very slow speed. This is really aggravating. Does anyone know if the Lemon Law would apply in this case, or is it only for more serious malfunctions? Although filling a car with gas should be the most basic thing a car is capable of doing correctly. I should not have to go through this every time I go to the gas station.

Old 09-19-2015, 08:54 PM
DPK
Veteran Member
Received 531 Likes on 390 Posts

Not trying to be a smart-***...But if all it takes is to put the nozzle on slow fill to get it full, then there are worst things to worry about with these cars...If I were you, I would just take a deep breath and don't be in a hurry and once it's full, just enjoy the ride..

Old 09-19-2015, 09:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 256 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by njburlington
Just came from the gas station. The pump shut off four times before it got to $7.00. I got out of the car and told the attendant some things to try. Wouldn't you know, he didn't understand English. But he did fill the car by putting it in at a very slow speed. This is really aggravating. Does anyone know if the Lemon Law would apply in this case, or is it only for more serious malfunctions? Although filling a car with gas should be the most basic thing a car is capable of doing correctly. I should not have to go through this every time I go to the gas station.
There was an attendant!? Haven't seen one of those people in years!!

Old 09-19-2015, 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by hlgeorge
There was an attendant!? Haven't seen one of those people in years!!
Yeah, in New Jersey you aren't allowed to pump your own gas.

Old 09-20-2015, 09:56 AM

Same problem with my 2013 and also noticed it with a loaner 2014 when I took mine in to the dealer for this very problem. No fix was available, but the dealer suggested holding the filler handle at the 9 o'clock position and that seems to work at every station so far. You don't need to insert it upside down. However, you do need to stand there and hold it the entire time while filling up.

Old 09-20-2015, 10:05 AM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

It has to be a european car thing. I had the problem with my 07 BMW 335 and my 2012 GLK350, and now my 2013 XF. I've had the filler replaced twice already, both times at the dealers suggestion even though I knew it wouldn't remedy the problem. It's random gas stations and pumps within those stations as well. I can fuel up at the Costco near me and the same 4 of the 12 pumps stop during fueling always. I can go to a CITGO near me and ALL the pumps stop, or the same at one Exxon, but another Exxon down the road works fine. And the funny thing is it was the same way with all the previous cars I mentioned!

The only major issue, other than the annoyance, is that sometimes the nozzle actually snaps out of the port. And luckily it hasn't caused any damage.

Old 09-20-2015, 01:08 PM
Default Refueling In New Jersey

Hi,

You can read my above posting to understand the refueling problems that I have had in New Jersey (with attendants) with my 2012 XF and my 8 month old 2015 XF which has the same problem that OP and others have described.

I just got back from refueling which went perfectly well at a Shell station and here is what I found. I have used the following methods for the past three refills and have had no problems with filling up my tank.

1) I waited to refill when I was down to a quarter of a tank (or less) of gas in each instance. (I used to fill up at 1/2 tank or even slightly more if convenient).
2) I watched attendant and in each instance they left the fuel nozzle out about one inch. (previous attendants shoved gas fuel nozzle in all the way as far as it could go)

By following the above steps my car has refilled fine and without the fuel nozzle pump shutting off at all. Prior to using these steps it was hit or miss if the pump nozzle would shut off multiple times to bring the tank up to full. Today was the first time since owning the car (about 8 months) that I have had three consecutive weekly fill ups where the station fuel nozzle did not shut off even once. I believe that the above two steps have helped with this problem.

I intend to keep an eye on this and hope that my new "methods" of filling up have resolved this problem. I hope that this info is helpful.

Ed

Old 09-20-2015, 04:49 PM
DPK
Veteran Member

Yeah, in New Jersey you aren't allowed to pump your own gas.
Can someone explain the reasoning behind this?..I wouldn't want some dirty-kneed attendant fondling my fill door...Is this the only State with this rule?..Or is it another one of Christie's bridge-block gates.

Old 09-20-2015, 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by DPK
Can someone explain the reasoning behind this?..I wouldn't want some dirty-kneed attendant fondling my fill door...Is this the only State with this rule?..Or is it another one of Christie's bridge-block gates.

New Jersey and Oregon are the only two states that do not allow self-service at the pumps. The New Jersey Legislature is currently considering a bill to allow self-service, but many feel that it should not pass for safety reasons, for the disabled who can't fill their own tanks, etc. Has nothing to do with Christie as it has been the law since 1949.

Old 09-20-2015, 08:18 PM
DPK
Veteran Member

New Jersey and Oregon are the only two states that do not allow self-service at the pumps. The New Jersey Legislature is currently considering a bill to allow self-service, but many feel that it should not pass for safety reasons, for the disabled who can't fill their own tanks, etc. Has nothing to do with Christie as it has been the law since 1949.
Thanks for the info..I can see helping the handicapped out, but to make an able bodied person set it out while a gas jockey pumps it for you, is just plain silly IMHO.

NJ must be a leaf-licking, treehugging State too, like Oregon.

Old 09-23-2015, 11:37 AM
Veteran Member
Received 802 Likes on 670 Posts

I grew up in Oregon and the government there claims it's to help with employment!

What a joke!

Old 09-23-2015, 12:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 426 Likes on 306 Posts

Originally Posted by tbird6
I grew up in Oregon and the government there claims it's to help with employment!

What a joke!
That's the point I was making! It's a way to keep a steady supply of low paying jobs available to those who don't have other options in society due to lack of education or past history. They hope to keep people from turning to crime and out of jail/prison with that option.

Old 10-07-2015, 04:51 PM
Default I'm experiencing the same problem refilling the tank!

I'm so happy I found this forum, I thought I was crazy! I leased my 2014 Jaguar XF 3.0 back in December of 2014. I live in NJ where a gas attendant fills the tank. From the get go I experienced the pump stopping short while refilling. This happened randomly and occurred probably around 70% of the time. After the dealer checked my car they told me that they couldn't replicate the problem. After the problem continues I returned the car to the dealer who acknowledged that this was some what of a "known issue". They replaced the neck of the gas tank and told me the issue should be resolved. Sure enough when I went to fill up my car for the first time I heard that familiar "pop" sound after 1 gallon. The dealer told me it beyond their service department and will be reaching out to Jaguar corporate. I'm set to drop off my car again this Friday. They already told me that they will be holding onto my car for a few days.
After reading all the alt solutions suggested, i.e. Hold the nozzle an inc away, turn the nozzle upside down, etc, I would like to say the following. After leasing a luxury I don't feel that I need to start instructed a gas attendant on how to pump gas and hold the nozzle. It just not practical. I'm hoping to have some good results and will keep the forum updated.

Old 10-07-2015, 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by Arthurkingsley
I'm so happy I found this forum, I thought I was crazy! I leased my 2014 Jaguar XF 3.0 back in December of 2014. I live in NJ where a gas attendant fills the tank. From the get go I experienced the pump stopping short while refilling. This happened randomly and occurred probably around 70% of the time. After the dealer checked my car they told me that they couldn't replicate the problem. After the problem continues I returned the car to the dealer who acknowledged that this was some what of a "known issue". They replaced the neck of the gas tank and told me the issue should be resolved. Sure enough when I went to fill up my car for the first time I heard that familiar "pop" sound after 1 gallon. The dealer told me it beyond their service department and will be reaching out to Jaguar corporate. I'm set to drop off my car again this Friday. They already told me that they will be holding onto my car for a few days.
After reading all the alt solutions suggested, i.e. Hold the nozzle an inc away, turn the nozzle upside down, etc, I would like to say the following. After leasing a luxury I don't feel that I need to start instructed a gas attendant on how to pump gas and hold the nozzle. It just not practical. I'm hoping to have some good results and will keep the forum updated.
I wasn't going to return to this thread that I started when it turned into an attack on people in New Jersey, but when I just received the email containing your post, I thought I would respond to you. I, too, feel it is totally ridiculous to have to tell the gas station attendant to try different things in an attempt to get the car to fill up. Unfortunately, my dealership's service manager has basically washed his hands of the entire problem. Very frustrating for me. This is my first and most certainly will be my last Jaguar. I have had three new Cadillacs since 2008 and can honestly say that I never brought any of them in to the dealer for anything other than routine maintenance.

Old 10-07-2015, 05:31 PM

I wasn't going to return to this thread that I started when it turned into an attack on people in New Jersey, but when I just received the email containing your post, I thought I would respond to you. I, too, feel it is totally ridiculous to have to tell the gas station attendant to try different things in an attempt to get the car to fill up. Unfortunately, my dealership's service manager has basically washed his hands of the entire problem. Very frustrating for me. This is my first and most certainly will be my last Jaguar. I have had three new Cadillacs since 2008 and can honestly say that I never brought any of them in to the dealer for anything other than routine maintenance.
Thanks for your reply. I guess what I don't understand is at what point is a recall warranted with so many people reporting a similar issue/problem.

Old 10-08-2015, 03:53 PM
Default Filling Up In NJ

Arthur Kingsley and NJ Burlington,

My name is Ed and I live in New Jersey as well. I have had intermittent problems with this exact issue and had also posted in this thread until one or two members got out of control and used this thread as an opportunity to "express" their thoughts about people from New Jersey.

To say the least of course these comments were inappropriate and to NJ Burlington. I am sorry that things went this way and that your legitimate issue was not taken very seriously.

I own a 2015 XF 3.0 AWD which I purchased new last February. I previously posted a method that I have used to fill up my gas tank which has worked well for me during my last 4 fill ups.

Arthur Kingsley- your updates regarding the current investigation of this issue by your dealer would be greatly appreciated and the dealer's name would also be helpful. Good luck and I hope that they will finally get it "right." My car has not been returned to the dealer for any problems at all since my purchase last February. In fact, this is my second XF and I had just about zero problems with that one as well.

BTW- a research physician located in New Jersey (Drew University) was just selected for a Nobel Peace Prize in Medicine and two NJ universities were just named as being within the top 100 universities in the WORLD. People looking to poke fun at NJ need to do some reading or they end up sounding like fools. (I just needed to get this comment in).

Ed

Old 10-08-2015, 05:06 PM
Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts
The following users liked this post:
spanky145 (10-08-2015)
Old 01-10-2016, 07:37 PM
Default XF fueling

I live in Michigan and have experienced the same problem. Even if I set the nozzle to the "slow" setting. It's very annoying. I often have to fill very slowly by holding the nozzle manually.

Quick Reply: Fuel Filling Problems in 2015 Jaguar XF