XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Fueling trouble

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2012, 08:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Fueling trouble

I'm loving my 2010 XF Premium, which I've had for a couple of months now.

However, it's tough to put a full tank of fuel in it, or even half a tank. The gas nozzle keeps cutting off, as if the tank is full, even when it is only half full.

I find that futzing with it for a while gets it at just the right angle and insertion pressure that it will fuel all the way. But on some occasions, I've given up and driven away with little more than half a tank.

This has occurred at several different stations and brands.

What's the trick to avoiding the problem?

Old 04-24-2012, 07:14 AM
Veteran Member
Received 203 Likes on 156 Posts

Is it under warranty still? Usually that's a problem with the tank vent. Pressure builds up and the pump shuts off. Some gas stations are more sensitive/finicky than others. Have you tried other stations/pumps?

The following users liked this post:
ValleyGuy (04-25-2012)
Old 04-25-2012, 11:38 AM

Thanks. Still under warranty, so I'll ask the local dealer.

That brings up a related question: How often do you get your oil changed? My XF is naturally aspirated.

The salesguy at the dealer told me to have it changed every 10K miles, which I'm having some trouble believing.

Old 04-25-2012, 08:15 PM
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Same fueling issue with my 2011 XFR. My dealer said that that I needed to bring it back with an empty tank. I just fill slowly. Major PITA.

Old 10-02-2012, 02:18 PM

I had the same issue, but usually can't even get it to work even with changing angles, half pressure on the trigger, etc. I brought it to my dealer and they said "there is no problem". I think this problem might be common and not have a solution and therefore dealers might act as if it doesn't exist. They keep blaming the pump, but my 2010 XF has never been able to be filled completely on any pump. After searching these forums it seems I'm not the only one.

Old 10-02-2012, 03:11 PM

Seems a common issue. There was a posting on here that someone had a fix implemented by their dealer, but mine says they can't duplicate the issue.

You get to know which stations are better than others and how to handle the fueling for best results...

... but it's still a stupid issue that shouldn't be there in the first place.

Old 10-02-2012, 03:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 331 Likes on 235 Posts

Holding the nozzle twisted (at 9 oclock rather than at 6), has been working for me. I can usually fill the car up without the pump shutting off most times.

Old 10-02-2012, 05:53 PM
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

While Jaguar shopping I saw a few carfax's that had fuel tank replacements. I talked with a guy at Rusnak Jaguar that had a car for sale that had the fuel tank replaced on carfax. This is why it was replaced. Some of the cars have an issue. Take it to the dealer and tell them what is happening take out a loaner and let them replace your tank/filler neck.

Your car should not do this....

Old 10-02-2012, 06:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 624 Likes on 528 Posts

Mine did this for the first time at the pump last week. 3600 total miles on the car. I will fill up and see if it does it again.

Old 10-02-2012, 07:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 281 Likes on 260 Posts

Modern engines and modern oils need changing much less frequently than older designs. Once per year or 10,000 miles is very conservative now. Some engines are running 2 years and 20,000 miles before changing the oil and filter. New filters are sometimes marked as suitable for 24 months.

Also, some engines now have no special running in oil change. You just jump in your new car and drive to the first regularly scheduled oil change.

Amazing.

Old 10-02-2012, 07:43 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Fueling problems

I had a 2007 mereceds s class that started having the same problem right around warranty expiration. It drove me crazy. No matter what gas station I went to I could not get it to take more than a couple of gallons at a time. Thankfully I was ready to get rid of it. Have a 2012 xjl with 6,000 miles and eight months old. No fueling problems with xjs that I've heard of. Demand the dealer fix it now.

Old 10-03-2012, 12:47 PM

2010 XF Premium in my garage for a few months now. I only have the filling issue at certain gas stations. Luckily my favorite station, Rotten Robbie, doesn't have that issue. I am almost at my 15k check up and I will talk to the local dealer. No other issues yet! This is my favorite car purchase to date.

Old 10-03-2012, 10:29 PM
Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

I've put 7400 miles on my 2011 NA, and no filling problems encountered at all. I fill at Exxon, H.E.B., Randalls, Shell, Kroger, Valero and Costco. Been on a road trip to filling at other brands, all okay. Hope you find a permanent solution.

Old 10-04-2012, 06:30 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the same issue with my 2012 xf, after about 3500 miles, it would take at least 5 minutes to fill up - squeeze, release; squeeze release.

The dealer replaced the (sorry about my lack regarding this) filler - a pipe around 3 ft long. They said Jaguar has changed the part from the original.

After replacing the part, I had the service rep ride with me to the gas station - less than 100 ft. From the shop - same issue.

The reordered the same part, and that did it, no problems putting gas in the car.

The dealership in Dallas is park place - not Plano!

Old 10-04-2012, 10:38 PM
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

If you go to autotrader or cars.com and look at used XF and view the carfax you will see about 1 in 20 have a service entry on carfax for " replace fuel tank". Rusnak Jaguar told me this is why the cars had a tank replaced and it normally was the entire tank not just the filer neck piping.

Old 10-23-2012, 02:53 PM

Got an update on my car and the fueling issue.

Just before I left for the trip to Australia that I'm currently on my fuel gauge started flipping from reading proper fuel levels to empty and "fuel level low". Did it about once every few minutes.

Brought it into the dealer and they told me it was a bad fuel sender, which was a known and common problem for the XF's. I told him about the fueling issue as well and he acknowledged that as a common problem as well.

They ended up replacing the fuel sender and the entire fuel tank under warranty. I haven't been back to verify, but my wife says that fueling is no issue now.

If you're having issues, call them out at your dealership. They know its a problem and should rectify it under warranty.

Old 10-23-2012, 06:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 624 Likes on 528 Posts

My '11 XF SC did it the one time, but the last two fill ups have gone smoothly. One of the two was at the same station.

Old 10-24-2012, 03:01 PM
Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts

I get this occasionally -- not always.

Old 11-01-2015, 05:59 AM
Smile

I had this problem with my 3 litre diesel XF

But I noticed that the misfuelling protector had tripped - there was a bit of yellow plastic clearly visible in the filler neck.

On the principle "if all else fails, read the instructions", I consulted the handbook.

And Lo!

There is apparently (and truly there was!) a yellow plastic Thingie attached to the battery restraining bar under the boot floor.

This is specifically designed to reset the misfuelling protector.

One simply inserts it, teeth uppermost, as far as it will go into the filler neck, then presses down on the end.

Bingo!

Problem solved!

HTH

Damitall

The following users liked this post:
n8ertot (11-01-2015)
Old 11-10-2015, 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by FastCat2011
Got an update on my car and the fueling issue.

Just before I left for the trip to Australia that I'm currently on my fuel gauge started flipping from reading proper fuel levels to empty and "fuel level low". Did it about once every few minutes.

Brought it into the dealer and they told me it was a bad fuel sender, which was a known and common problem for the XF's. I told him about the fueling issue as well and he acknowledged that as a common problem as well.

They ended up replacing the fuel sender and the entire fuel tank under warranty. I haven't been back to verify, but my wife says that fueling is no issue now.

If you're having issues, call them out at your dealership. They know its a problem and should rectify it under warranty.
Same problem with my 2010 XF. Bad sending unit. Pulled back seat and replaced unit. They spilled gas inside the car while doing he retrofit. Lovely but it did solve the problem!

Quick Reply: Fueling trouble