XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Gear Selector Stuck in D (Part on Backorder)

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2010, 05:42 PM
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Gear Selector Stuck in D (Part on Backorder)

I'm sure others here have experience there gear selector freezing up on them as from what I've read hear and elsewhere, it's not an uncommon problem. The K048 fix has already been applied to my XF but the selector has been getting stuck in P or D from time to time lately. After cutting the car off for some time the car would revert to normal operation.

Finally made time to get it to the dealer and was told that the replacement part was on backorder and it would like be at least two weeks for the repair. Not really complaining as I get to drive a new XF in the meantime.

How many others have experienced the stuck selector?

Old 11-24-2010, 09:50 PM
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

We have had a similar problem on one or two occasions, but presumed it was a sequencing issue of stepping on the brake, pushing the start button and turning the selector in the right order with the appropriate pause betwen steps as after fiddling with everything a bit we were always able to get it to finally work. Guess we will have it checked out in 2-3 weeks when we are in for the two year visit.

Likewise once in a while the start button will not engage the starter so we again fiddle with the order of doing things and pausing between steps to get it to work correctly. I guess we will have that checked out as well as our default assumption is operator error, but it sounds like it might just as likely be a car error.

Old 12-02-2010, 02:39 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hi have the same problem with my 2009 xf jag. (15,000) mi. Apparently there are 5 jags at my dealer alone in Canada waiting for the new part. This problem is a world wide jag problem as you cannot get parts anywhere. I have been waiting 4 weeks. The explanation is that it is a chroming problem and they now have a new manufacturer / supplier for this part.

I presume it may be another couple of weeks. (6 weeks total)

I feel for the other jag drivers who may be out with their family in winter in the country and when they shut off vehicle the gear gets stuck in Drive. It is only a matter of time for those who do not have the new part

john

Old 12-03-2010, 12:50 AM
Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

My wifes 09 XF is also sitting at the dealer right now. It started about a month ago but would quickly revert back to park, but recently it has became more frequent and stranded me for over 15 minutes before it would go back to Park after shutting it off. The bad thing is you also cannot put it in reverse when it happens. So when I shut it off hoping it would go to Park it would not and I was then stranded where it sat.

The bright side is our "loaner" is a brand new '10 Supercharged XF.

Old 12-03-2010, 02:22 AM

My dealer called today and said it'll be another week or so. It seems the problem may be isolated to '09s. This isn't a new problem though so I'm a bit surprised Jag is still struggling to address it.

The following users liked this post:
whitbyxf (12-03-2010)
Old 12-04-2010, 11:16 AM

Hi what is a KO48 fix that you refer to?

John

Ps thanks for the response

Old 12-05-2010, 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by john501
Hi what is a KO48 fix that you refer to?

John

Ps thanks for the response
From the NY Times:

JAGUAR Some 2009 Jaguar XF models with the new rotary gear selector may leave owners feeling a little turned off. In T.S.B. K048 issued on Feb. 8, Jaguar said gears on some models might fail to engage when the dial was turned. Affected XFs will be inspected by dealers. and the control switch will be replaced if required.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/04/au...les/04TSB.html

From what I've gathered from varoius forums, the problem may reappear even after K048 .

Old 12-05-2010, 09:38 AM
Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

the company that built these jaguar drive selectors.. went out of business.. they are currently having another company make them.. i have 6 on backorder..
and yes they have reappeared after the k048

Barbara Kay (09-04-2014)
Old 12-05-2010, 11:17 AM
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

K048 service acton has been suspended, and or discontinued. It never worked. Everyone that I have seen done has always returned for the selector assemebly. For a while they were having us fill out FRED(Fix Right something or other) claims for new selectors. Then I guess they realized, oh we do have problems with these, well now they are no longer on the FRED list.

Old 12-06-2010, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by jag_genius
the company that built these jaguar drive selectors.. went out of business.. they are currently having another company make them.. i have 6 on backorder..
Thank you for the update. keep me posted when you are receiving the parts as it may be an indicator of when my dealer in Canada will get the part. I will also keep you posted

john

Old 12-08-2010, 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by jag_genius
I have my new drive selector installed yesteday and now have my car back after 4 weeks. I know there is an new manufacturer / supplier for the part. It seems that the sides of the shifter knob are not chrome but rough siler finish. Check yours outwhen you get them. Second as you know the shifter knob comes up or down when you start or stop the car. it use to be a silent movement now I have a slight grinding sound. Is the fit right? Check it out

John

Old 12-08-2010, 08:53 PM
Default New fix!!!!!

There is a new fix for the shifter assemeblies. For those who are jag techs out there, you will remember the adhesive glue crap we were putting on that resistor. Well, If you take that bracket off with the glue, and solder the sides of the resistor, it fixes the problem. The solder that was on the resistor cracks, almost like what the ABS modules would do on older XK8 and XJ8 where you get a Pump Circuit Failure Fault. We're doing this because of the chrome issue with this new manufactuer. Plus it takes weeks for a new shifter to come in.I can post pics for Jag Techs out there, I will show you what I'm talking about.

Sabrinaservicewriter (12-14-2022)
Old 12-10-2010, 01:35 PM

thank you and I do not understand when you mention that there is a chrome issue with the new manufacturer. Are you saying the new part just installed in my Jag which was on back order account new manufacturer is still a defective or possible defective part?

Old 12-11-2010, 04:51 AM

Originally Posted by john501
thank you and I do not understand when you mention that there is a chrome issue with the new manufacturer. Are you saying the new part just installed in my Jag which was on back order account new manufacturer is still a defective or possible defective part?
It's not defective, the chrome that's on the rotary knob, the one that lifts up when you start the car. That chrome is what the issue is. The chrome issue is just cosmetic. The originial issue with these shifters was electrical. So your new one should be 100% good to go.

Old 12-19-2010, 04:20 PM

We received our XF back this week. It was delayed because of the chroming issue stated above. But like John501 said the chrome is different. It is a little rougher looking and feeling. It also makes a motorized noise when lifting up. The old one was perfect silent.

But as long as it works it is fine by me.

Old 12-19-2010, 06:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 281 Likes on 260 Posts

I always select Park before switching the engine off. I thought that the automatic return to Park was a safety feature not a feature intended for daily use.

My selector only once failed to select a gear, Reverse as it happens, and has not done it since. I have had the recall work done a few months ago.

Old 12-20-2010, 11:39 AM

I also always select Park before switching off. Well, except for when it's stuck in Drive and won't move to park. Going on four weeks now without may car. Dealer said should be ready this week.

Old 12-20-2010, 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by jagular
I always select Park before switching the engine off. I thought that the automatic return to Park was a safety feature not a feature intended for daily use.

My selector only once failed to select a gear, Reverse as it happens, and has not done it since. I have had the recall work done a few months ago.

We would always select park before switching the engine off. When it would start failing there was no physical way you were going to move it out of drive. It did not matter if the engine was on or off.

When driving, if it would not go into Sport mode I knew that when I was stopped and wanted to go into park it would not let me.

The Dealership and techs will openly admit the recall work will resolve none of the problems with the gear selector and was a waste of time.

Old 12-27-2010, 10:18 AM

After 30 day, my XFSC is back in my hands. Shifter and annoying door rattle fixed. Fingers crossed for no more issues.

Old 12-28-2010, 11:54 AM
Default shifter problems

I had my new J drive put in and now find another problem but not sure if related. My car is in Drive and when I start up it remains in first gear and does not shift. The indicator above speedometer reads 1st gear as if the car is in Sport Drive manual. The other day the car was drive and the indicator was also in drive but when it shifted automatically to second gear it remained there with Drive on the Shifter but display 2nd gear in the sports manual mode. any thoughts

Quick Reply: Gear Selector Stuck in D (Part on Backorder)