XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Gear Selector Stuck in D (Part on Backorder)

Old 06-28-2011, 07:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 281 Likes on 260 Posts

Jaguar issued a "recall" in North America for this fault. There is an updated part that ought to have been installed by your dealer during the warranty period. This is a well known and frequently occurring fault and Jaguar ought to fix yours.

Old 06-29-2011, 07:00 PM
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Why is your XF out of factory Warranty. It sure can't be out by time, is it out by mileage. Send me the last six digits of you vin number and I can run it on DDW and tell you when it expired. You 2009 XF should still have factory warranty unless you exceeded the warranty miles.

Originally Posted by olof
Hi all, first post so please be gentle..

I have just had this happen to my XF - well actually its the 4th time, first few times shutting off the car or shutting it off and locking the doors made the gears reset. - This time I have not been able to get it to come out of drive and nor can I start the car to start.

I tried putting the key in its holder and now its stuck there too!

The XFs warranty expired in Jan - does anyone have any idea what the damage is likely to be for the fix?

Kind regards

Rich

Old 06-30-2011, 09:48 AM
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Not too far-fetched to think the car has exceeded 50k miles especially if it was an early (2008) build. 16-17k a year would put the car out of warranty already.

Old 06-30-2011, 10:13 AM
Received 2,183 Likes on 1,355 Posts

It was never a "recall", its a tech service bulletin, big differance on who pays for repair regardless.
A tsb applies in/out of warranty period and is how jaguar wants the problem address and repaired. But if youre not in warranty you pay for the repair. A recall is either voluntary or mandated to the manufacturer and the manufacturer pays for the repairs wether in or out of the warranty period. Most of jaguars recalls are voluntary since they would rather be proactive to issue they find and have a fix for. Even though you would think the rotary knob is a widespread issue, based on the numbers sold and the number of issues its still a small %

Old 06-30-2011, 09:58 PM
Veteran Member

Canada has different rules from the US.

All XF cars in Canada were repaired free of charge for this fault.

Old 07-08-2011, 03:38 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by duke_dallas
After 30 day, my XFSC is back in my hands. Shifter and annoying door rattle fixed. Fingers crossed for no more issues.

It happened to me twice in the past 2 months but reverts to P after I switch off the car and it just works fine. However I am taking it into the dealer - they told me that I had to change my shifter. Duke Dallas, I guessing that is what they did to yours. Have you had issues since they fixed it?

Old 07-08-2011, 09:10 PM
Veteran Member

The replacement part is a circuit board. They think they had a run of badly built boards.

Old 07-12-2011, 08:21 AM
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Actually, they changed my shifter.

Old 09-16-2011, 09:09 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rather than start a new thread, I thought I'd post my question in this one since it relates to the topic.

I picked up an 09 XF-SC this week. Is there a way to determine if my car has had the gear selector replaced? On the first page of this thread there was mention that the updated selector has some what of a different appearance. Can someone give me more information as to what I might look for in this regard? I presume a dealer could pull the service/repair history on my car, but I'm 2 hours away from the nearest dealer. Thanks in advance and I apologize if anyone feels I'm hijacking this thread.

Old 09-16-2011, 09:22 AM
Received 2,183 Likes on 1,355 Posts

Originally Posted by svahle
rather than start a new thread, i thought i'd post my question in this one since it relates to the topic.

I picked up an 09 xf-sc this week. Is there a way to determine if my car has had the gear selector replaced? On the first page of this thread there was mention that the updated selector has some what of a different appearance. Can someone give me more information as to what i might look for in this regard? I presume a dealer could pull the service/repair history on my car, but i'm 2 hours away from the nearest dealer. Thanks in advance and i apologize if anyone feels i'm hijacking this thread.
just call the dealer and have them look it up on ddw, give them the last 6 of your VIN. The new shifters have a rougher finish on the knob than originally

The following users liked this post:
svahle (09-16-2011)
Old 10-15-2012, 01:08 PM

Hi,
I will really appreciate if you will send pictures of gear selector part,resistor that needs to be re soldered to get it work again,I have 09 SC4,2 and gear selector just stuck in position few times last week....I have ordered new one but will take chance to fix it current one before new one will arrive.My mail is ivantheferal@gmail.com,

best regards mate and many thanks,Ivan.

Old 06-23-2014, 03:29 PM
Angry Gearbox fault - struck in Reverse

Hi,

Last saturday 6-21-2014 evening, my car JAG XF 2009 got struck in reverse gear and no movement at all from there. I have to tow the car to jag dealership in Vienna, VA. Today monday (6-23), technician from Jag called and said that we have to change the shifter module for a cost of about $1400 !!!

Struck in any gear, might be a problem with shifter module, not just gearbox.

I hope to get it fixed by tomorrow....but really expensive shot

hameed

Old 09-04-2014, 09:22 AM
Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts

Unfortunately I had this happent to me as well here recently. Not sure what caused it on my 09XF Premium but it had to be replaced. I filed an insurance claim for gravel damage caused by an 18-wheeler on the highway. I drove the car to the bodyshop mechanical problem free. While the car was at the bodyshop to have the windshield replaced and the hood, bumper and both fenders resanded and painted the issue happened. On the day I go to pick it up, I'm informed that the water bottle resevoir was accidently thrown away during dis/reassembly so they had to order a new one. The new one comes in and I get the call the vehicle is ready so when i get there to pick it up I'm told oh, by the way do you know a trick to get the car into gear? Uh nooo...so go out to the car and the gear selector does not even rise out of the console. Car starts and everything else works but there is the "gearbox fault" message. This shop is Jaguar Certified so they try a a few different things to try to fix the problem including replacing the battery on their dime and having an electrical tech come out to try to reprogram the vehicle but he's unable to do so because Jaguar doesn't release their codes apparantely. I then have to have my car towed to the Jag dealership where they run diagnostics and cannot determine how the part went out but knows it has to be replaced. I immediately get on the phone with my insurance company and explain the issue. Thank God after a few phone calls and a couple hours of waiting they decided they will pay for the repair ($1900) since the vehicle was under a claim at their "preferred shop" when the the selector stopped working. One thing I did notice was that the change in my cupholder was covered with corrosion and the papers left in the vehicle had wrinkled up as if they had gotten wet so I'm wondering if the windshield was left off the vehicle and it sat outside overnight causing dew to settle in the vehicle and possibly in the crevices of the selector causing it to fail?? The body work they did was great and they did everything they could to get it working again and worked with me even in taking care of part of my deductible and the "free" battery so from that perspective I'm greatful but I believe there was some neglect on their part that caused the problem in the first place. All in all I'm just thankful to God I didn't have to come out of pocket for the $1900 repairs.

Old 03-31-2016, 04:56 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 2011 xfr just started having this issue intermittently. Will take it in before warranty expires in August, but in the mean time whenever it happens, I just give the knob and/or the side of the console a little wack which temporarily fixes the problem each time. So it clearly is just a lose electrical connection somewhere in the gear selector knob assembly. I would imaging that after the warranty repair they would not let me keep the old part - would love to disassemble it and see if I could find the loose connection and then fix and have a spare one for later!

Old 04-01-2016, 07:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 203 Likes on 156 Posts

My dealer told me that it was due to a cold solder joint in the circuit board. I'm not sure how accurate that is though.

Old 04-02-2016, 05:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 256 Likes on 200 Posts

Sounds logical from your symptom solution.

Old 07-21-2016, 10:59 AM
Default It finally happened after 6 years

Did anyone here ever get to do the cold solder repair on the board? If so how does that go? 2009 jag xf premium petrol here

Old 07-21-2016, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by jaglover922
There is a new fix for the shifter assemeblies. For those who are jag techs out there, you will remember the adhesive glue crap we were putting on that resistor. Well, If you take that bracket off with the glue, and solder the sides of the resistor, it fixes the problem. The solder that was on the resistor cracks, almost like what the ABS modules would do on older XK8 and XJ8 where you get a Pump Circuit Failure Fault. We're doing this because of the chrome issue with this new manufactuer. Plus it takes weeks for a new shifter to come in.I can post pics for Jag Techs out there, I will show you what I'm talking about.
I'd love to hear about this fix!!!

The following users liked this post:
Sabrinaservicewriter (12-14-2022)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Gear Selector Stuck in D (Part on Backorder)