XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Gear Selector Stuck in D (Part on Backorder)

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2017, 05:02 AM
Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Default Jaguar XF stuck in Gear or in Park

Originally Posted by jaglover922
There is a new fix for the shifter assemeblies. For those who are jag techs out there, you will remember the adhesive glue crap we were putting on that resistor. Well, If you take that bracket off with the glue, and solder the sides of the resistor, it fixes the problem. The solder that was on the resistor cracks, almost like what the ABS modules would do on older XK8 and XJ8 where you get a Pump Circuit Failure Fault. We're doing this because of the chrome issue with this new manufactuer. Plus it takes weeks for a new shifter to come in.I can post pics for Jag Techs out there, I will show you what I'm talking about.
Hi Jaglover922, I am a newbie to this forum but have the issue with my Gear Selector. Can you please send me details of which resistor needs re-soldering and also any information on how to remove the panels where the Module is located that would be very much appreciated.

Old 09-16-2017, 08:45 AM
Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

As I didn't get any help on here regarding my stuck gear selector, I though I would tackle the issue alone. I couldn't find any posts on which trim needs to be removed so I just removed it all. I finally managed to get the Gear Selector Module out.

Jaguar XF Gear Selector Module removal

I then took the unit apart to see what the issue was. I could see that the Elctro Magnetic Pin was not retracting allowing the Gear Selector to turn. So I temporarily tied it back using an Elastic Band.

Electro-Magnetic Pin that locks the Gear Selector Knob from turning

When I had time, I decided to look into why the Electro-Magnetic Pin was not retracting and from earlier posts, I saw the mention of a Resistor that has a poor connection. I searched the PCB within the Gear Selector Module and found Resistor R150 looking like it had a poor connection so I decided to re-solder the connection and this seems to have fixed the issue. I hope this post is of help to others that experience the same issue.

Resistor R150 with a dry solder joint on the Jaguar XF Gear Selector Module.

The following 6 users liked this post by Hemel7:
bealzabubba (11-25-2020), fabfive (09-16-2017), Mr Sharky (09-19-2017), Rob in TO (09-19-2018), Tlbcowboy (02-13-2019), zangonli (09-17-2017) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 09-19-2018, 10:49 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Hemel7, that's outstanding! Same has happened to me and the Jag dealer quoted $1300 to repair it. Can resistor R150 be soldered the good old-fashioned way, or is there something special needed? (I don't know what a dry solder joint is.) Also, any tips on disassembly to get access to the Gear Selector Module would be greatly appreciated.

Old 02-24-2019, 05:52 PM
Default 2010 XF stuck in drive

Originally Posted by duke_dallas
I'm sure others here have experience there gear selector freezing up on them as from what I've read hear and elsewhere, it's not an uncommon problem. The K048 fix has already been applied to my XF but the selector has been getting stuck in P or D from time to time lately. After cutting the car off for some time the car would revert to normal operation.

Finally made time to get it to the dealer and was told that the replacement part was on backorder and it would like be at least two weeks for the repair. Not really complaining as I get to drive a new XF in the meantime.

How many others have experienced the stuck selector?
2010 Jaguar XF knob stuck on drive
mine started couple of days ago and now car won’t start
maybe I can file a claim between jaguar and few owners if they have same issue... just need your receipt and maybe I can sue Jaguar and get all our refunds back for making us pay for their negligence of making cars sofisticaded but costing more to owners

Old 02-25-2019, 07:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 437 Likes on 386 Posts

Note that's a post from 8 years ago in 2010 that you are replying to!!
Like any car there will be things that go wrong over time but search around and you will see very few complaints on here for gear selectors

They got the original part wrong in 2009 and made an early change. But with rare exceptions they seem to be very reliable.

Old 02-25-2019, 09:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 315 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by John Fortes Ratuita

2010 Jaguar XF knob stuck on drive
mine started couple of days ago and now car won’t start
maybe I can file a claim between jaguar and few owners if they have same issue... just need your receipt and maybe I can sue Jaguar and get all our refunds back for making us pay for their negligence of making cars sofisticaded but costing more to owners
You can always go back to the more reliable horse and buggy. And if the horse dies, you can sue God for making horses complex and unreliable.

Old 08-27-2020, 02:27 AM
Default Thank you

Tank you to Hemel7,
2h of work for drop off, solder, drop in.

Many current in this resistor, my solder was very dry.

Sorry for my english, French jaguar lover ...

Old 11-23-2020, 03:48 AM
Default Info pcb location

Originally Posted by Hemel7
Hi Jaglover922, I am a newbie to this forum but have the issue with my Gear Selector. Can you please send me details of which resistor needs re-soldering and also any information on how to remove the panels where the Module is located that would be very much appreciated.
Hi just reading this as have got this issue could some one confirm the pcb location please. I assume its under the cup holders
Many thanks in advance

Old 11-26-2020, 01:15 PM
Received 89 Likes on 64 Posts

yes you have to take cup holders out the circuit board is inside gear housing

Old 11-28-2020, 05:46 AM
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

This link is worth a look ( nice teardown of the selector) , if you open in google-chrome it should offer to translate to English, unless of course you happen to understand Russian.

Old 05-12-2021, 02:31 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jaglover922
There is a new fix for the shifter assemeblies. For those who are jag techs out there, you will remember the adhesive glue crap we were putting on that resistor. Well, If you take that bracket off with the glue, and solder the sides of the resistor, it fixes the problem. The solder that was on the resistor cracks, almost like what the ABS modules would do on older XK8 and XJ8 where you get a Pump Circuit Failure Fault. We're doing this because of the chrome issue with this new manufactuer. Plus it takes weeks for a new shifter to come in.I can post pics for Jag Techs out there, I will show you what I'm talking about.
Just 2 quick questions1. Assuming I buy one taken off another xf, do I need programming for it to work
2. Is the above the same if the resistor is fixed (resoldered)?

Thanks

Old 05-14-2021, 09:24 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Hemel7

R150
It should be staring at you once you take our the PCB

Old 12-14-2022, 04:18 PM
Received 41 Likes on 21 Posts

I would also love to see the process! We have had multiple fail and have a few "core" gear shifter assemblies that I know my father our master tech would love to learn how to fix! Thanks in advance!